Coaches USAG registration for kids who are scoring out of compulsory levels.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Aero

Coach
I have two girls who I am bringing into optionals this year. They competed Xcel Gold last season and did well, one being state champion. I am teaching them the Level 4 and 5 routines so I can take them to a meet and score them out. I am having them compete Level 6 this season.

Something I'm confused about is how to register them. All Xcel divisions are registered as an "Introductory Athlete." So, when renewing their athlete membership, do I just register them as an "Athlete" and then pick Level 6 as the level they will be competing as? This is the first time I've had to go through this process.

Also, any words of advice for doing this really efficiently and by the rules? Am I overlooking anything? I have no desire to break USAG Rules and Policies.

Thank you friends!

Xcel gymnasts actually CAN be registered as Introductory Athlete or Athlete (introductory is just cheaper).
When you renew, you should renew as Athlete ... And Level 4. After the score out, you can get back on and change the Level.
If you list them at L6, you are not being honest (and technically a L6 can't compete a meet at L4). If they are scoring out of L4 and L5 the same day, you don't have to change it between... Just change it to L6 afterwards.

Thanks everyone for your replies! I can always count on this community for answers.

How can I find out what the drop back deadline is for New Jersey? To my understanding, I need to score these kids out before the deadline, otherwise they cannot compete Level 6 this season, right?

Aero, they should always be able to compete "up" a level, provided they have met the minimum score to advance to that level. However, if hypothetically, a gymnast was to compete level 7 after the "drop back deadline," she is now a level 7 for the rest of the season - and can't go back to 6 if you decide she would be more successful there.

Aero, they should always be able to compete "up" a level, provided they have met the minimum score to advance to that level. However, if hypothetically, a gymnast was to compete level 7 after the "drop back deadline," she is now a level 7 for the rest of the season - and can't go back to 6 if you decide she would be more successful there.
So I actually have no deadline to score them out by?

So I actually have no deadline to score them out by?
They just have to score out before you have them compete in a level 6 meet. No deadline.
The only deadline I can think of is if you want them to qualify for state championships as a level 6. Then you need to make sure you score them out in time for them to meet whatever your state qualification score/deadline.

They just have to score out before you have them compete in a level 6 meet. No deadline.
The only deadline I can think of is if you want them to qualify for state championships as a level 6. Then you need to make sure you score them out in time for them to meet whatever your state qualification score/deadline.
PHEW! Thank god, haha. One has a cast for her wrist and it comes off in a week. I'm hoping she can get up to speed on vault and bars in time. This is a big relief.

PHEW! Thank god, haha. One has a cast for her wrist and it comes off in a week. I'm hoping she can get up to speed on vault and bars in time. This is a big relief.
Ok. I looked up the NJ regs. They have to qualify for L6 sectional by scoring at least 30 at L6 17 days or more before the sectional meet... But if necessary, they can get the score inside the 17 day window as long as it is 14 days out. But then you have to send 2 registrations - one for qualifiers and one for pending qualifiers.
You just need to make sure they score out of L4 and L5 in time to compete L6 before the cutoff for the last sectional meet.

So I'm thinking of bringing in a judge to score out the girls. I'd prefer this because it seems like it would be low pressure, quick, and easy.

I understand I need a sanction. How do I go about getting this? Also, how do I contact a judge for this matter? Do I need just one judge?

So I'm thinking of bringing in a judge to score out the girls. I'd prefer this because it seems like it would be low pressure, quick, and easy.

I understand I need a sanction. How do I go about getting this? Also, how do I contact a judge for this matter? Do I need just one judge?
Check your state handbook. They should be able to tell you how to get a sanction. As for the judge, do you know any? If so, you could ask them personally. If not, you could contact the NAWGJ judge coordinator and ask for a recommendation. If the number of gymnasts is small, then one judge is enough. I would say for 12 gymnasts or less, one judge is enough. Just make sure the girls keep rotating and warm up each event so you don't waste the judge's time waiting around (or have them warm up all four events so they finish at the time you have the judge reporting).

I'm fairly certain to score out of level 5+ it must be two judges at a sanctioned competition.
Per USAG Rules and Policies, Since this would be considered a local meet, a one judge "panel" per event (which could be the same judge on all events) is allowable for L4 and L5. The judge just needs to be a minimum of 4/5 rated with at least one year's experience. Judges are paid for 3 hours minimum and one judge can cost $46.77 to $96.90 based on rating. A small meet could easily finish in that time.

Also, the sanction form for the meet is available online. Sanction costs $100.

You can use the judge assigner for a cost of $3 per judge OR you can ask a judge personally. They get paid based on their rating at the rate set by USAG.

You may have to pay your state and region a price per gymnast... In my state, it is a total of $2 per gymnast.

You will want to keep all of this in mind as you plan. That way, you can figure out how much to charge the girls (and whether to open it up to any other gyms that might have a few to score out.

With the most expensive judge you get on your own, the most bang for your buck is at 14 gymnasts... Based on my state/region fees. Charge $29 per gymnast.
With the least expensive judge you get on your own, the most bang for your buck is at 12 gymnasts... Based on my state/region fees. Charge $25 per gymnast.

I've contacted Brant Lutska, the New Jersey SACC, by email. I'm sure he can point me in the right direction.

Originally, I was just going to do a little in-house thing to score out only these two girls, but now I'm thinking I should let all my team kids take part. It would be a nice, low pressure way to start off the season. The sanction fee and the judge fee split up among the parents would hardly cost anything, so I know the parents will like it, too. :p

Per USAG Rules and Policies, Since this would be considered a local meet, a one judge "panel" per event (which could be the same judge on all events) is allowable for L4 and L5. The judge just needs to be a minimum of 4/5 rated with at least one year's experience. Judges are paid for 3 hours minimum and one judge can cost $46.77 to $96.90 based on rating. A small meet could easily finish in that time.

Sorry just re-read the R & P and I must have been thinking about the two judge panel required for level 5 gymnasts trying to qualify for states!

I've contacted Brant Lutska, the New Jersey SACC, by email. I'm sure he can point me in the right direction.

Originally, I was just going to do a little in-house thing to score out only these two girls, but now I'm thinking I should let all my team kids take part. It would be a nice, low pressure way to start off the season. The sanction fee and the judge fee split up among the parents would hardly cost anything, so I know the parents will like it, too. :p
Good idea. Lol, can ya tell I am a math tutor... I love numbers ;)

I just want to post a quick update...

They scored out! I took them to a very small sanctioned meet about forty five minutes away and they competed Level 4, followed by Level 5. They both successfully received their 31 all-around qualifying scores, and they are now Level 6! :D The process was easy and painless. Thank you to all of you who posted in the thread, as well as to those of you who gave me advice. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back