Parents Using a four incher for floor routines in competition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

jenjean70

Proud Parent
Last year when one of the level 9 boys competed a double back on floor they had him land on a four inch mat. I have seen this done during broadcasts of gymnastics meets so I know it is "a thing". My son wants to compete his double back this year but our coaches, after talking to another coach at another gym, won't be using the four incher. They were advised that if the gymnast can't do it without a mat that they shouldn't compete it. I am confused about the use of the mat. I thought it was to save their joints from hard landings. If anyone has any insight as to the need (or not)for mats on the floor, please help me understand. :)

Our higher level optional girls use a mat when needed . They arent training elite, why not save their bodies if possible.

Eta: not sure if they use them at meets, we dont qatch the 9s and 10s. I am now curious and will ask someone.

Our gym is also against using a mat like that in competitions. My dd was struggling doing one of her passes without it. For her, it was all mental. She just wouldn’t/couldn’t do it without the mat. They had her either remove the skill or scratch the event rather than use the mat.

For her, it was because it really was just a crutch (it was just a RO-BHS-Full). Their concern was that you never know what extra mats may or may not be available at a meet. They needed her to feel comfortable doing it without the mat. She finally did it at regionals last year.

There are some rules around using it. It has to stay there the whole routine, and you cannot start a skill on it to get credit, or something like that. Our gym does the same thing....no mats in meets, or at least I have not seen them at all at our gym during meets.

OK. couldn't find the info on starting a skill, so that might have been dreamed :) But it does have to stay on the floor for the whole routine.

Ok, got clarification from the kiddo....it's not a 4 incher....it's a sting mat, apparently. And I have no idea what that is, but it's thin. And she says even the college girls use it at meets. Obviously, she is way more up on this than me. Hah!

Both a sting mat or a 4in mat are allowed on the floor for WAG. No rules about needing to stay on the floor after use; it can be placed before the pass and removed after. Just has to have the boundary lines if it covers the floor's lines. (Rules and Policies, page 105)

But for MAG, it has to stay in place for the entire routine:

From the 2016-202 Age group Program Section III: Equipment and Matting Specifications
D. Additional Matting:
1. Floor Exercise:
A landing mat of up to 10 cm (4”) may be used for landings of “C” value skills or greater. The mat must remain in place throughout the routine.

I will just advise that a double back should not go into a MAG routine until it is good. Judges around here do NOT like to see weak double backs and deduct the heck out of ones landed with low chests and the ankle crunchers. I believe this is a deliberate technique to discourage putting the skill in routines until it is fully mastered.

My son handily outscored many routines competed at regionals last year that had double backs and double fulls. His tumbling is quite weak for L9, but he can compete the easier stuff cleanly.

I will just advise that a double back should not go into a MAG routine until it is good. Judges around here do NOT like to see weak double backs and deduct the heck out of ones landed with low chests and the ankle crunchers. I believe this is a deliberate technique to discourage putting the skill in routines until it is fully mastered.

My son handily outscored many routines competed at regionals last year that had double backs and double fulls. His tumbling is quite weak for L9, but he can compete the easier stuff cleanly.
Honestly I have seen my son do a double full and I think his double back is way better...I just don't know how consistent he is since I never watch practice anymore. The mock meet will be a total surprise! This is the double back his coach videoed...

Is he always that consistent? If so, there is no reason for the mat to be there. Not sure why they just wouldn't pull it out.

He does look very good! Chest's a little down, but as he works on it, that should fix itself. I'm not sure he needs the mat either. If he keeps his floor routine to things he can do that cleanly, he should have a great year.

Is he always that consistent? If so, there is no reason for the mat to be there. Not sure why they just wouldn't pull it out.
I don't think he is always that consistent. I think he is still hit or miss. He accidentally kicked out the other day (he said it was really high) and crunched his ankles a little bit...his coach told him to do it again and he said he over rotated it....his coaches will probably have him do a double full but I think it looks scarier than his double back...

Reactions: sce
Last year when one of the level 9 boys competed a double back on floor they had him land on a four inch mat. I have seen this done during broadcasts of gymnastics meets so I know it is "a thing". My son wants to compete his double back this year but our coaches, after talking to another coach at another gym, won't be using the four incher. They were advised that if the gymnast can't do it without a mat that they shouldn't compete it. I am confused about the use of the mat. I thought it was to save their joints from hard landings. If anyone has any insight as to the need (or not)for mats on the floor, please help me understand. :)

um...that's BS.

um...that's BS.
So you think using a mat in competition is good until the gymnast feels comfortable enough to land without it? Personally, I think it's good to do it in competition and if a mat makes you safe then it's better than falling or getting injured, but then I'm not a coach and I don't know the philosophy behind removing the mat. :)

Our coach would agree that it is ok but he prefers for the gymnast to not rely on that for competitions. D uses mats all the time during practice, btu he has to run his routines at least 1 time without a mat before competing it.

So you think using a mat in competition is good until the gymnast feels comfortable enough to land without it? Personally, I think it's good to do it in competition and if a mat makes you safe then it's better than falling or getting injured, but then I'm not a coach and I don't know the philosophy behind removing the mat. :)

a good gymnastics coach ALWAYS errs on the side of caution. ALWAYS. do no harm.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back