Vaccine anyone?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18037
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

When a vaccine is available will you and your family get it?

• I will but not my children

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I will not but my children will

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 18037

with all the discussion about going out and about. School or no school. Gym or no gym.
Just wondering who will be getting the vaccine, assuming there is one?

I will be. Might wait a bit for my daughter. But she will as well at some point.

I added an option to your poll. I don’t know if I’ll completely trust it but I’m sure it will be required for my job.

I added an option to your poll. I don’t know if I’ll completely trust it but I’m sure it will be required for my job.
You can’t be forced to have a vax. In normal times if we don’t get a vax they can force you to wear PPE your whole shift.

I'm assuming it will, by the time it's available to the public, have gone through rigorous testing, the way all vaccines do.

It would be irresponsible not to get vaccinated, once such a vaccine exists.

So, the rigorous testing can take years, and this vaccine may not be tested as much as many others. For me, it will depend on many factors, so I will have to make that decision when it comes out.

They can require it as a condition for employment, they already require the flu shot, hepatitis and something else.
Interesting. In NY that was struck down by the courts. We are offered the vaccines but not required to get them.

So, the rigorous testing can take years, and this vaccine may not be tested as much as many others. For me, it will depend on many factors, so I will have to make that decision when it comes out.

Fair point, that a covid vaccine may well be rushed and not tested as thoroughly as others.

The best course is to listen to the experts; when doctors recommend the vaccine, I'll get the vaccine.

I am a little skeptical about how thoroughly the vaccine can really be tested on an accelerated timeline. See, e.g., the dengue vaccine fiasco:

During the pandemic, we've witnessed some spectacular failures of the peer review process, along with public health recommendations that were grounded in politics or logistics rather than science. I am pro-science and pro-vaccine in general, but I also do quantitative research for a living. I will be looking at the actual science myself before making a decision as to whether and when to have my family vaccinated. I am guessing that supply-chain limitations will make it difficult for my family to obtain the vaccine early on, which will allow additional time to see what happens when large numbers of people start receiving the vaccine in real life.

Don't worry. It's not coming any time soon. The medical experts I'm seeing suggest that it's going to be a difficult one to formulate.

The question for me is how this will work in a policy sense. Many institutions distinguish between required and recommended vaccines. On my campus, for instance, we encourage people to get flu shots but don't require it. However, when we had a mumps outbreak a few years ago, people either had to show proof of vaccination or they were out of the dorms. I think a few medical exemptions were permitted with good evidence, but none of this "I don't like vaccines so I'm not getting one!" stuff.

In a general constitutional law sense, can states require people to get vaccines? Yes. That question was settled in Jacobson v. Massachusetts in 1905. All else is policy choices about how strictly to implement.

Don't worry. It's not coming any time soon. The medical experts I'm seeing suggest that it's going to be a difficult one to formulate.

The question for me is how this will work in a policy sense. Many institutions distinguish between required and recommended vaccines. On my campus, for instance, we encourage people to get flu shots but don't require it. However, when we had a mumps outbreak a few years ago, people either had to show proof of vaccination or they were out of the dorms. I think a few medical exemptions were permitted with good evidence, but none of this "I don't like vaccines so I'm not getting one!" stuff.

In a general constitutional law sense, can states require people to get vaccines? Yes. That question was settled in Jacobson v. Massachusetts in 1905. All else is policy choices about how strictly to implement.
I assume this will end up being handled similarly to how you describe that mumps outbreak and how we handle TB tests? Not required for the general population but professions that have high public interaction will require it, work places where individuals work closely together will require it, places like college dorms/assisted living facilities where people will be living closely will require it.

I’m absolutely certain my husband will get it first in our family- the military is likely to mandate it before it’s even available to the general public. Myself and my minor child will get it, and I am sure my adult child wants to take it as soon as she can.

I wouldn't assume anything at this point about the policy choices states will make around this virus. As it is not a form of influenza, it's not clear to me that the standards regarding influenza vaccination would be the ones providing the model. About the only thing I will predict is that policy will not be uniform and some states will have stricter regulations/requirements than others.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back