Vaccine release in Nov

Vaccine tentative release Nov... yes or no for you and yours

• No, I and my family will not.

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • Yes, I and my family will.

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • Mixed, some in our family will and some will not.

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters
Did ChalkBucket help you?... help us too.

If you can't help financially... tell a friend about us!

JessSyd

Proud Parent
Oct 10, 2013
Sydney Australia
Country
Australia
A vaccine generally available (for everyone, not just restricted use for high risk informed participants) that soon would be alarming. Anything manufactured and ready to roll out that quickly took a shortcut somewhere.

As far as I know, none of the phase three trials currently taking place have enrolled children?

FlippinPrincess

Proud Parent
Aug 22, 2016
Country
USA
I'm with Gymx2 and JessSyd above. I don't believe they'll be rolling out a vaccine in November and if they do, I most definitely will not be first in line.

Reactions: 3cats

Freddy's Fred

Proud Relative
Nov 19, 2017
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
For those of you in the definitely not category, do you have specific fears? Do you assume that everyone else will get it to that you don't have to? Will you be disappointed if only vaccinated children are permitted to return to school?

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Jul 19, 2011
Region 9
Country
USA
I do not believe that a vaccine can go through the trials needed to be determined if it is safe or not. We will not know the long term effects of it by then. We can't even really tell if it is effective in the less than 6 months it has been worked on. Vaccines take time, especially those using new technology. I do not ever assume that everyone else will do something.

I do not believe it will be required for school at this point, especially given all that I listed above.

amiandjim

Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Apr 18, 2015
Country
USA
For those of you in the definitely not category, do you have specific fears? Do you assume that everyone else will get it to that you don't have to? Will you be disappointed if only vaccinated children are permitted to return to school?
I definitely do not assume enough people will get it so we don’t “have to.” However, I do not think that a rushed vaccine without the proper clinical trials will be safe and effective, so no, we won’t get it if it’s available that quickly. Look at the testing debacle....thousands of tests were rushed through and have shown to be pretty inaccurate. Honestly, I would rather we all four got the actual virus, quarantined appropriately, and moved on since we are all low risk.

Freddy's Fred

Proud Relative
Nov 19, 2017
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Basically our only exit strategy is vaccine, but no one wants to get it. The only way to get good safety data is for people to agree to be vaccinated. Who will those people be?

Reactions: PinPin and ldw4mlo

Rockygym

Proud Parent
Aug 6, 2014
Country
USA
I do not think it is feasible to have the necessary phase 3 trial data to have a vaccine ready to go in Oct/Nov.

Reactions: Freddy's Fred

M2Abi

Proud Parent
Jan 21, 2016
Country
USA
It is an mRNA vaccine, which is a new type of vaccine, and no one will know what the long term side effects are. I am no more afraid of getting COVID 19 than any other virus, so it doesn't matter to me whether other people get the vaccine or not. I will be furious if they require a COVID19 vaccine for children to return to school.

IreneKa

Proud Parent
Mar 18, 2013
Country
USA
It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Basically our only exit strategy is vaccine, but no one wants to get it. The only way to get good safety data is for people to agree to be vaccinated. Who will those people be?
Just saw an add on Facebook for enrolling in the COVID-19 vaccine study, promising a payment up to $740. So I guess people will do it for money?

Rockygym

Proud Parent
Aug 6, 2014
Country
USA
Just saw an add on Facebook for enrolling in the COVID-19 vaccine study, promising a payment up to $740. So I guess people will do it for money?
Many clinical studies provide compensation for the time/effort required to participate, but that seems like a pretty high amount. Trials I run pay $25-50/visit.

Reactions: mommyof1

Sk8ermaiden

Proud Parent
May 6, 2013
Country
USA
I saw a video explanation on this that basically said - no, this isn't saying a vaccine is coming in November - what it is doing is telling states to get their ducks in a row regarding distribution and who takes priority so that when a vaccine does roll out, it's not a cluster.

mommyof1

Proud Parent
Jan 31, 2012
The car
Country
USA
I want to get a vaccine. A safe, effective vaccine. I might even consider volunteering for a clinical trial of a traditional vaccine, but no clinical trial would want me because I'm taking precautions against exposure. There is very little that could convince me to get an mRNA vaccine until the technology has been around for a very long time. I will wait for the old-fashioned vaccine.

Reactions: Pineapple_Lump

mommyof1

Proud Parent
Jan 31, 2012
The car
Country
USA
Many clinical studies provide compensation for the time/effort required to participate, but that seems like a pretty high amount. Trials I run pay $25-50/visit.
Yep. You don't want the compensation to be high enough that it gets into the realm of coercion or undue influence and interferes with informed consent. IRBs really don't like that.

mommyof1

Proud Parent
Jan 31, 2012
The car
Country
USA
It is an mRNA vaccine, which is a new type of vaccine, and no one will know what the long term side effects are. I am no more afraid of getting COVID 19 than any other virus, so it doesn't matter to me whether other people get the vaccine or not. I will be furious if they require a COVID19 vaccine for children to return to school.
There is no way a vaccine could be required for children to return to school in the near future, because the vaccine candidates are not yet being tested in children:

Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts!