Vaccine release in Nov

Vaccine tentative release Nov... yes or no for you and yours

• No, I and my family will not.

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • Yes, I and my family will.

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • Mixed, some in our family will and some will not.

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters
Did ChalkBucket help you?... help us too.

If you can't help financially... tell a friend about us!

Freddy's Fred

Proud Relative
Nov 19, 2017
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I definitely do not think there will be a vaccine in November. I do not trust our current administration but I do have faith in the the rest of the world. I would totally fly to the UK to get their vaccine if it's widely distributed.

Geoffrey Taucer

Former Admin
Gold Membership
Coach
Former Gymnast
Jan 21, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Country
USA
I am extremely skeptical that a vaccine will be widely available by November. But whenever one drops, I'll ask my doctor and follow her recommendations, whatever they may be.

Honestly, there are two things I most look forward to with regards to having a vaccine: being able to hang with friends again, and being able to go out and participate in political protests, without putting my at-risk wife in danger.

duyetanh

Proud Parent
Feb 21, 2015
Country
USA
I believe there will be a viable vaccine in November as much as I believe elephants will sprout wings and personally deliver this vaccine to every American.
Right. Agreed. But the question was would or would you not get the vaccine, lol

Reactions: ldw4mlo

Flippin'A

Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Dec 4, 2017
Country
USA
I don't feel equipped to say one way or another at the moment. I'm going to have to see what the doctors and entities I trust are saying and follow their advice as much as possible. I'm not a virologist or immunologist (or any other kind of ologist for that matter) and I definitely can't speak hypothetically about a vaccine that doesn't yet exist. If there's a vaccine that my doctor, my child's pediatrician, and other medical folks I trust all agree on then my family will be first in line.

profmom

Proud Parent
Nov 18, 2011
Region 7
Country
USA
My friends in Public Health are saying things I cannot repeat here about this. I am fully vaccinated for everything under the sun I'm likely to encounter, and I'll get my flu shot within the next month, but I will not get this vaccine unless 1) professionals with earned doctoral degrees in the public health field whom I trust are saying the vaccine has been properly tested, is safe, and is effective and 2) it has been approved for use by a trustworthy national governmental organization (e.g., if the US begins producing and distributing a vaccine developed and widely distributed in Europe).

I'm really angry and sad to be feeling this way.

Cheryl

Proud Parent
Feb 28, 2018
Country
USA
No vaccines for us until they are fully tested and proven effective. What I see here is not a fully developed, safe, and effective vaccine.... but a political stunt by a weak president, and a cash grab by a pharmaceutical company. Neither of which I trust with my health and safety.

ldw4mlo

Proud Parent
Feb 13, 2015
Country
USA
I am not so confidant about what they do in Europe. Having worked for a company that had a partnership with a European company. As a project implementation lead. Europe doesn't have the same validation process or expectations as the US has in "normal" times. Much of their validation is honor system. Where as here companies need to submit the validation work for approval. And the requirements are more extensive here. Which is why products are released in Europe long before they are released here. Reagents being recalled and taken off market for a couple of years after the US picked up a problem. Software rewrites. FDA issued product notifications. Again, and at meetings the Europe folks would go how did you even find this. We picked it up by our required validation process.

I have had many any issue where I discovered, software, reagent, alogrithm issues that would cause incorrect results reported (potentially leading to death) on products they were released in Europe. And one such issue that actually caused the death of 5 people.

So while folks think that Europe has testing down. Me, not so much. If our tests are having issues with accuracy, false positives and negatives. There is no doubt theirs tests are as well.

gymgal

Proud Parent
Aug 22, 2008
Country
USA
Lets be careful about the political comments that are occurring in this thread. Otherwise, it will be shut down.

No thank you. Not with the current infection rate and morbidity/mortality rate of the virus and the approximately 45% effective rate they are estimating. My family's tree is filled with auto-immune conditions. No way I am risking a hyper reaction with a vaccine that has not been properly researched for potential long term consequences. I have two adult children and one almost adult. They will make their own decisions based on their situations (all in college) but as of right now, they are thinking similar to me.

raenndrops

Coach
Former Gymnast
Proud Relative
Oct 24, 2009
The 'Wood, Ohio
Country
USA
I know the Ohio State University Medical Center is looking for participants to be part of a Phase 3 Trial of a vaccine. They want "high risk" individuals to be their guinea pigs.

ReluctantGymMom

Proud Parent
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I vaccinate my kid for everything under the sun but I wouldn’t get this vaccine, not in the US. We might fly home to Europe or Israel and get a vaccine there if it’s been tested and passed through - the US health care system is a for profit system, which makes all doctor recommendations slightly less believable. And November does not sound like a reasonable time frame - it does sound like a political one though.

Reactions: M2Abi and JessSyd

lostinfog

Proud Parent
May 3, 2020
Country
USA
My kids are vaccinated for everything required. By November the checks and balances a new vaccine or drug would normally undergo cannot possibly be complete. If the vaccine has a low effectivty rate it is not worth the risk to then find out 3-5 years down the road of a long term issue or side effect. Given the above plus monetary and political motivations it is a no for us.

Reactions: annklein

Freddy's Fred

Proud Relative
Nov 19, 2017
Country
Lets be careful about the political comments that are occurring in this thread. Otherwise, it will be shut down.

No thank you. Not with the current infection rate and morbidity/mortality rate of the virus and the approximately 45% effective rate they are estimating. My family's tree is filled with auto-immune conditions. No way I am risking a hyper reaction with a vaccine that has not been properly researched for potential long term consequences. I have two adult children and one almost adult. They will make their own decisions based on their situations (all in college) but as of right now, they are thinking similar to me.

Freddy's Fred

Proud Relative
Nov 19, 2017
Country
Is anyone worried about the potential long term health effects of Covid vs the unknown of a vaccine? I have one friend who got sick with Covid in March and has had nonstop clotting problems and autoimmune issues since then. Also super scary to see that 35% of Big10 football players with Covid have myocarditis. What are the long term consequences of that?

mommyof1

Proud Parent
Jan 31, 2012
The car
Country
USA
Is anyone worried about the potential long term health effects of Covid vs the unknown of a vaccine? I have one friend who got sick with Covid in March and has had nonstop clotting problems and autoimmune issues since then. Also super scary to see that 35% of Big10 football players with Covid have myocarditis. What are the long term consequences of that?
I am very worried about the long-term effects. That's why we are working from home, doing virtual school, staying out of the gym, and avoiding public places until there is a safe vaccine. We may continue to take those precautions even after we are vaccinated until the virus dies down substantially, since the best-case scenarios for vaccine effectiveness are not that encouraging.

Reactions: Mrs. Puma

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Jul 19, 2011
Region 9
Country
USA
There was a clarification published on that:

cp13

Proud Parent
Mar 19, 2019
Country
USA
Also super scary to see that 35% of Big10 football players with Covid have myocarditis. What are the long term consequences of that?
This is scary but this statement by the doctor at Penn State has been retracted. 35% was a number someone verbally told him. The actual published number is lower. I am concerned about the long term effects. I am still letting my DD go to gym but I hope I don't regret it. She is almost 15 and having her do no gym and only online school for the next 6 months would be hard. So, she is going to gym and I hope for the best. Even though I am concerned about the long term effects, I am not going to take a vaccine that hasn't been thoroughly tested. I definitely would not be in line to get one that is being pushed through the week of the election. By Nov they won't even know how long the immunity from the vaccine actually lasts.

profmom

Proud Parent
Nov 18, 2011
Region 7
Country
USA
I have a friend who's a COVID long hauler. He believes very few people are taking this problem seriously enough. He had it in early March and he still can't work anything close to a full day. He had what his doctor characterized as a "mild case" and was never hospitalized.

I don't know what we will do if there's a significant outbreak among the faculty. We are all stretched so impossibly thin it's all we can do to cover our own classes. Our adjunct budget was cut drastically even though enrollments are stable or up so we are all teaching full or oversubscribed classes in these crazy formats. If we have to cover for colleagues who are unable to teach for several weeks, the whole thing is going to collapse.

It's even worse for students because I don't think any of the financial aid programs, federal or state, that make aid contingent on full-time enrollment have grappled seriously with what happens if the best advice we can sincerely give to students who are sick or recovering slowly is to drop below full-time enrollment or come back part time. I am literally losing sleep over this.

MuggleMom

Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Dec 22, 2016
Virginia
Country
USA
Why trade one unknown for another unknown at this point we know more about COVID side effects than an imagninary Vaccines side effects. I would want to know the efficacy of the vaccine as well, I would risk potential vaccine side effects if it was highly effective against COVID but if its 50% (Which is roughly the current efficacy rate of the flu vaccine that I dont get) I would not risk vaccine side effects for what I consider to be average protection.

Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts!