WAG Vanessa Atler Interview

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

exgymnastmomx3

Proud Parent
Anyone hear the Vanessa Atler interview on the gymcastic podcast last week? Very eye opening and truly heartbreaking how she was treated by USA gymnastics back in the late 1990's. She was America's star back then and she spoke so candidly about everything!

Among other things, she says our now National Team Coordinator used to weigh her 3x a day and refuse to allow her to drink water bc it "made her look bloated."

I listened. It was a very honest interview...her treatment by coaches and other adults was appalling.

I also found her insights as a coach interesting.

I only had time to listen to excerpts, but I enjoyed her perspective on how 'ridiculous' all the high-hours, early training is for the very young girls. To paraphrase (NOT exact quote - going from my memory), "(in an incredulous, SMH voice) You have all these, like, 6 year olds going 7 hours a day, going to homeschool programs.. and you can't compete with these kids!! No one can! And it's ridiculous, and the primary goal is to keep it fun, keep girls in the sport, and such a tiny, tiny number will ever stay in the sport at that kind of pace. And these kids are getting like 38s and 39s at Level 3!! When I was competing, I won with 34s! And it wasn't tougher scoring back then, it was just the typical score. And it's crazy that many gyms won't even let you move up now without a 38 or whatever at level 3 or 4, and that is just unnecessary."

She also spoke about the intense pressure of identifying early 'talents', "with coaches looking at them like pieces of meat", and how damaging it is to put all this pressure on little girls who keep being told they are the ones "Going to the Olympics" some day, and so (paraphrasing) "everything you do, if it doesn't live up to these goals, like going to the Olympics, it's not good enough."

Preach it, Vanessa.

Also heartbreaking was her account of when she was going through Bulimia and wanted to stop but couldn't, and FINALLY got the courage to talk to one of the adults (I can't remember which adult, but a female in some high position at the Olympic Trials) and ASK FOR HELP. Tremendous courage it takes to be going through that and literally come crying and asking for help from an adult when you are still a child (teen).

And rather than helping her, the adult told her something akin to, "Well, look how thin this other athlete is - how do you think she got there? Sometimes you have to do whatever it takes to reach your goals. Think about it."

:(

And rather than helping her, the adult told her something akin to, "Well, look how thin this other athlete is - how do you think she got there? Sometimes you have to do whatever it takes to reach your goals. Think about it."

:([/QUOTE]

So sad:(

Among other things, she says our now National Team Coordinator used to weigh her 3x a day and refuse to allow her to drink water bc it "made her look bloated."

Valeri responded to this via People magazine:
“I am sorry Vanessa’s experience wasn’t positive during her time at WOGA. When asked to help during a difficult time for her, my intention as a coach was to help Vanessa achieve her dreams, not make her training situation more difficult,” says Liukin.

“My recollection of working with Vanessa is different and includes many positive experiences. Coaching techniques and perspectives have evolved since then, and I have grown as a coach through experience and expanding my knowledge. Today, I firmly believe an athlete’s focus should be on training smart, with increased education in the areas of balanced nutrition, fitness, healthy lifestyle and communication. This is the basis for our approach in women’s gymnastics.”

“I am sorry Vanessa’s experience wasn’t positive during her time at WOGA. When asked to help during a difficult time for her, my intention as a coach was to help Vanessa achieve her dreams, not make her training situation more difficult,” says Liukin.

“My recollection of working with Vanessa is different and includes many positive experiences. Coaching techniques and perspectives have evolved since then, and I have grown as a coach through experience and expanding my knowledge. Today, I firmly believe an athlete’s focus should be on training smart, with increased education in the areas of balanced nutrition, fitness, healthy lifestyle and communication. This is the basis for our approach in women’s gymnastics.”

I hope what he says is true.

No I have no reason to think it isn't, except that in the past, coaches have said things publicly that aren't necessarily true. Example: USAG/the Karolyi's always maintained the girls at team camp could eat whatever they liked and they had a nutritionist on staff. In reality, the camp staff all sat and watched every little thing they ate (making them nervous and judged for eating) and the nutritionist was their daughter.

He didn't deny doing the things she said, just that his techniques have changed.

Vanessa said herself that she believed Valeri was trying to do the best for her but in the old-school (soviet) way. I think she did a great job of explaining the negativity of the situation on her without placing blame, she seems to have no issues with Valeri. The saddest part to me is that all these years later she is unable to discuss some of the past with her mother - after all she is the adult who should have looked out for her and sheltered her from some of the negativity but was riding the crazy train and at times was as hurtful as other adults who had no stock in Vanessa's well-being.

The saddest part to me is that all these years later she is unable to discuss some of the past with her mother - after all she is the adult who should have looked out for her and sheltered her from some of the negativity but was riding the crazy train and at times was as hurtful as other adults who had no stock in Vanessa's well-being.

This is what bothered me the most as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back