WAG Vault - Front Handspring onto the Board

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Quadqueen

Proud Parent
DD and I were at a big college meet a few weeks ago and, unless my eyes were playing tricks on me, I saw two different girls compete a vault where they did a front handspring on the runway, landing with their feet on the board, front handspring entry and then front/front half out of it. It was the coolest thing.

What is this vault called? Does anyone in JO ever do it? I haven't been able to find a video of it online.

Edited to add: oh, I found a video of one -

You only see a handful of those vaults at the collegiate level, but they are really cool to watch.

I believe JO girls can start competing the front handspring entry vaults at level nine, but I've never seen one.

I believe the one is the video is called a Garbarino. I don't know the specific entry name if that is what you are asking for.

It's called an Ilg (if tucked), named after Michelle Ilg who competed as a USAG level 10 and later for Penn State. There is a level 10 in region 7 that does one and recently scored a 10 on it at a high school meet.

ETA- thepenguin posted while I was typing. The piked variety was done more recently and is named for Kristine Garbarino who competed for Western Michigan. Both vaults are in "Group 2" in the JO code (other handspring vaults with a salto).

Does this vault exist in FIG? I have never ever heard about it, it's so cool!
It is in the JO code in the US (10SV in level 9, 9.8/9.9 in level 10), but I do not think it is considered an acceptable vault by the FIG. Someone else probably has more accurate info on that than I do, though.

i have had 2 athletes that competed this vault and then in college. if you think Yurchenkos are temperamental, you should work with vault. :)

DD and I were at a big college meet a few weeks ago and, unless my eyes were playing tricks on me, I saw two different girls compete a vault where they did a front handspring on the runway, landing with their feet on the board, front handspring entry and then front/front half out of it. It was the coolest thing.

What is this vault called? Does anyone in JO ever do it? I haven't been able to find a video of it online.

Edited to add: oh, I found a video of one -

Wow never saw this. It's very cool! Thanks for sharing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back