Parents vault progression in your kids' gyms?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

profmom

Proud Parent
After watching the Yurchenko thread, I'm curious to hear about how your children's coaches do vault progressions. My DD is L7 training L8 but will probably compete new 7 next season. They started doing Tsuk drills during L5 and Yurchenko drills during L6. Last competitive season, the only time they worked on front handsprings at all was the week before each meet -- all of their other vault practices were devoted to Yurchenko drills. The girls have to have a safe, compete-able Yurchenko to move up to L8 at this gym. DD has two teammates who will almost certainly compete L8 next year as 10 year olds, and both look like they'll have their pikes.

On the boys' side, I've heard from other parents that they previously didn't do much to start training the flipping vaults until late L6, but my DS and his group, who just competed L5 this past season, have since states been doing some of the same Tsuk drills I remember my DD doing as a L5. What seems odd to me is that they haven't yet learned the L6 front handspring (which is the same vault the girls do at 5, 6, and 7). But I guess I'd rather have the guys get slightly lower vault scores as L6s and compete safe flipping vaults when they're L8s!

How does it work for your boys and girls?

Training both from level 6, tsuks on level 8 and Yurchenkos on level 9.

Every awful story begins with "we were on beam and..."

I found the thread fascinating (and scary)! DD is 8 and has just competed uk level 4, now training for level 3. It's very roughly the equivalent of having competed US level 6 and training very roughly level 7. Up until now, everything was the handspring. They have only just started doing tsuk and yurchenko drills in the last three months - roundoff onto springboard, flic up on to a pile of matts (stretch jump up first, then flic up to land on knees). She hasn't really got much further than that and they spend a lot of time on form. They are training tsuks over a block into the pit, and using a mini tramp or fast track so quite basic. They use a yurchenko block (on end, so it's a u shape) on top of the block as they improve. The girls a year older are doing tsuks on the table onto a stack of matts. They use a yurchenko block on top of the table. They are also doing them over the table into a pit and one or two are starting to flip them into the pit. They start each session with the basics, almost back at the beginning, for a few goes and build up. I'm thinking/hoping it will be a loooong time before dd is doing any kind of flippin vault over the table onto a mat!!

DD did started tsuk drills mid-season L5. She tested out of L6 this past spring and is continuing higher tsuk drills on the table and beginning yurchenko drills on resi only.

She will be an L7 this fall but still complete the handspring vault while getting the tsuk vault competition ready and continuing to learn the yurchenko.

Sent from my LGL55C using ChalkBucket mobile app

So I am not sure what these drills are I think they are tusk drills, maybe some one can tell me. DD will jump on the springboard and then do various back tucks, front tucks, layouts on a mat sometimes not. Then to spice things up they will do the same types of things over a mat that is standing up. She has also gone down the run way hit the spring board and gone completely over the table with a spot. So that is what she is currently working on in vault. No idea what it progresses to :). But she enjoys it better than constantly working handsprings which is what she will compete this year as a new 6 or new 7.

At dd's gym they started tsuk and yurchenko drills at some point during the level 6 season, but not very often. During the level 7 season it was more frequent. Since states ended in April they have done nothing but drills for these vaults. Normally at her gym they just see which vaults the girls are best at and let them compete either the tsuk or yurchenko as a level 8. Many of last years L8 girls did the FHS vault for much of the year though while they perfected the more difficult ones. Who knows what will happen over the next 6 months?

My daughter is 8 - turning 9 this summer, competed L7 this year (invitational only). She is training L8/CPN (a program specific to Canada for kids in the 8-10 yr old range). She has done tsuk drills for much of this last year, starting from really basic half ons onto a stack of mats, to flipping her first tsuks fully spotted, on a real vault with a standard landing in say the last month or so. She has never attempted one unspotted. For yurchenkos, nothing beyond stacked mats, back handsprings and completely spotted. Generally in our gym kids below L7 don't do anything more than 1/2 ons, and at L7 they start tsuk / yurchendo drills in earnest.

DD was at a different gym up until right after L7. She started doing tsuk drills in 7 (age 10) and competed them for level 8. She started yurchenko drills during her level 8 season but not consistently till season was over. She competed yurchenko pike at first level 9 meet and a month later switched to yurchenko layout. Around this same time she started some twisting drills.

DD was at a different gym up until right after L7. She started doing tsuk drills in 7 (age 10) and competed them for level 8. She started yurchenko drills during her level 8 season but not consistently till season was over. She competed yurchenko pike at first level 9 meet and a month later switched to yurchenko layout. Around this same time she started some twisting drills.
==
Don't forget the Front handspring fronts! :)

After watching the Yurchenko thread, I'm curious to hear about how your children's coaches do vault progressions. My DD is L7 training L8 but will probably compete new 7 next season. They started doing Tsuk drills during L5 and Yurchenko drills during L6. Last competitive season, the only time they worked on front handsprings at all was the week before each meet -- all of their other vault practices were devoted to Yurchenko drills. The girls have to have a safe, compete-able Yurchenko to move up to L8 at this gym. DD has two teammates who will almost certainly compete L8 next year as 10 year olds, and both look like they'll have their pike

How does it work for your boys and girls?
From what I can remember this was my dds progression as well. She competed Level 8 with yurchenko this year but scratched vault for her first meet because of a crash in practice right before the meet :eek: not good. Vault use to be one of the easier events for me to watch along with floor but in level 8 I could only enjoy bars lol. Now shes training level 9 and that bars release move makes me quease lol. This sport is not for the faint of heart for sure but its fascinating to watch them soar :).

I don't know the progressions but Pink and Fluffy is competing half on and training half on/half offs :)

Sent from my CnM Touchpad 9.7 using ChalkBucket mobile app

DD is competing new 4 in the fall, and her group has just started tsuk drills. They do the 1/2 turn on, and then go straight down onto feet into pit, flip a little to land on back, or attempt to complete the rotation to feet. FWIW, in many parts of the country these girls would be passable 5's, as most have all 5 skills pretty solid, minus the flyaway which they have not even started. My DD is relatively new to this gym, and this is really fun for her!

We went to Easterns, there's a girl from Region 6 one of the senior age groups who really stands out in my mind :)

That would definitely be worth seeing! It's interesting -- from the very little I have observed, the optional boys seem to do a larger variety of vaults than the optional girls.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back