Vault question from a new spectator

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

KnitNinja

Proud Parent
I've been noticing that there's way more to setting up to vault than I've ever realized. Two different springboards, a mat around the springboard, a carpet square thing in front of it. What are the reasons a gymnast might want or not want the mat or carpet? What is the different between the two springboards? And how do the resetter guys know the gymnast's preference- are there signals, or a list, does it depend on the type of vault being done? How do the tech guys get their jobs (are they former gymnasts, or coaches, or what)?
So many questions, and I find the behind the scenes nuts and bolts fascinating.

I've been noticing that there's way more to setting up to vault than I've ever realized. Two different springboards, a mat around the springboard, a carpet square thing in front of it. What are the reasons a gymnast might want or not want the mat or carpet? What is the different between the two springboards? And how do the resetter guys know the gymnast's preference- are there signals, or a list, does it depend on the type of vault being done? How do the tech guys get their jobs (are they former gymnasts, or coaches, or what)?
So many questions, and I find the behind the scenes nuts and bolts fascinating.

The mat in front depends on the type of vault. They need it if it is a yurchenko vault, but not for a tsuk.

Our vault coach and the girls vaulting know exactly what they prefer. In fact, our girls also know each other's preference. At practice and meets, our vault coach is the one that changes the settings.

Reactions: sce
In fact, if they are doing a vault from the tsuk family and the coach doesn't pull the hurdle mat, the vault is voided. One of DD's teammates had that happen last year with a very nice tsuk. :(

Sometimes the mat is for spacing. The springboards have different springs in them, and the coach knows which one to put for each athlete.....the U shaped mat goes around the springboard for Yurchenkos....those are roundoff entry....
Then there is also placement of the springboard from the vault itself.....
I have zero idea on my DD vault settings if you will.....the coach certainly does....and they have a secret hand language that can tweak even the most minuscule adjustments.

The guys helping with set up are members of the coaching/support team for those gymnasts, so they know what the requirements for each persons vault will be. They are not usually just random tech guys.

The u-block and mat are safety items for yurchenko vaults - I believe the u-block stops the board from slipping when the gymnast lands their roundoff on it and so helps prevent them crashing into the vault? In the past this has resulted in neck and spinal injuries and even death, which wouldn't be ideal for the individual (probably score a zero right there!), would cause a delay and might seriously damage the team score! But in seriousness, it's a safety thing.

According to my daughter the mat is for guidance (she can spot where to put her hands when hurdling into her roundoff) and as some cushioning for her wrists and shoulders. I don't know if all of that is true, but that's what works for her!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back