Coaches vault question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm coaching a girl who is working on her half-on,half-off vault. Her form is ok, but when her hands connect with the vaulting table they always seem to hit one at a time so she doesn't get a good block. She knows she's doing this and I'm trying to explain to her about how to get her hands to hit together (such as get a good jump UP off the springboard, THEN turn for your half-on) but I'm not doing a very good job. If anyone has any ideas or advice about drills she could do or even what I could say to her to help her understand the concept.... I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much! Angela

Since the vault table came out I basically stopped doing them. I've always hated 1/2 ons. Why not do a handspring full?

Sorry...I really didn't answer your question.:(

Personally, I feel that the only the half on-half off vault gets you is comfortable with the whole going onto the vault sideways; which is good for tsuking. She's doing her half on more like a tsuk half on--for tsuks you want to push off one hand more/faster than the other--but not for a half on half off. Have her try some over a trapazoid blocks/spotting block/whale mat; you could also try lowering the horse--she might be going off one hand at a time because she's coming on too low.

If she's competing level 7, which i'm assuming she is--why not stick to a front handsrping--they're less complicated and get you a little farther in the end---that's just my opinion though.

Last edited by a moderator:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back