Parents Vault Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

View attachment 7529

I am hard wired like this quote. You may not be.
Both my kids have experienced more failures than successes and they have learned to make goals that they have some control over. Do they always reacht heose goals, no but they keep working towrds them. But, If an enire event for a whole level is scoing low during a season, then setting a score goal that won't be met because of that is unrelaistic. A realistic goal is to learn to punch harder, have better shapes etc. Easy to meet? No. Possible for the gymnast to control? Yes. This whole "argument" started when soemone said that long-term it doesn't really matter. This is still true, this is a vault used for a season or two, and, for now, is scoring low for even pretty good ones. In the long-term span of a gyamnast's career it really is not big deal. Short term, sure it might mean this girl never gets her 38 at this level, hoepfully though she is learning a good timer that will lead to a solid, safe flipping vault and higher vault scores in other levels down the road.

I still think a conversation with the kid could happen without crushing her. "Hey, I know you realy want a 38 this season. That would eb amazing! I know too taht you work so hard in the gym to do ebtter eveyr day. I am so rpud of how you work do hard, I've noticed that the new vaults are scoring pretty low across the board. Jsut keep that in mind whe thinking about wheteher you will get to that 38." Or soemthing like that. Sometimes goals get readjusted, it's all part of learning to set goals.

Our coaches pretty much said the same thing. Its going to take time to all get on the same page and it not anything to worry about. Coach said the need to worry about doing the skill and the drills not the score.

Sorry had a lot going on and wasn’t really watching this thread

Yes my daughters coaches said the same thing just get her ready for the next level and not worry about a high 9 score.

As for everyone else like I said my daughter and all her teammates set the goal for 38 every meet. Season is over and she’s getting ready for states, out of 6 meets 3 of them she had a 38, 2 meets a high 37, and 1 meet a 36 with a couple falls on beam and bars. My daughter was still happy and wasn’t mad at all. She knows we’re proud of her and as long as she’s happy I’m happy.

Hope everyone’s daughter or son had a good season

As for everyone else like I said my daughter and all her teammates set the goal for 38 every meet. Season is over and she’s getting ready for states, out of 6 meets 3 of them she had a 38, 2 meets a high 37, and 1 meet a 36 with a couple falls on beam and bars. My daughter was still happy and wasn’t mad at all. She knows we’re proud of her and as long as she’s happy I’m happy.

Glad she had a good season.

Yes my daughters coaches said the same thing just get her ready for the next level and not worry about a high 9 score.

Sounds like she had an amazing season, even with the vault challenge. A 38 is a lofty goal, awesome she achieved it multiple times. Hope she does well at states.

Lance,
I apologize. I was responding to your comment that the low vault scoring was important because it was interfering with your daughter's goal of a 38 at every meet. My comment was following the previous poster that she may need to adjust expectations (due to the lower scoring). I noticed at a very large meet this weekend (over 2,300 competitors) the highest L7 score was a 37.4. I did not intend malice and I did not, nor would I tell a child to adjust their dreams. It is because your daughter has dreams that I don't want the short term goals to discourage her. You are right though, you did not ask and you can obviously feel free to ignore my advice.
On a forum like this, we all post and contribute based on our experiences and perceptions of the world, we can agree, disagree, ignore.... My post was not intended as an attack and I apologize that it came off that way.
My post was coming from my own experience, having a daughter who is now retired from the sport after multiple years of competing at L10 and now in college. She set many goals over her 10 years of competing- some of them in her control, some of them out of her control, some met and some never achieved. She recently shared with me that she never felt like she was 'a good gymnast' (despite winning AA a state her final year). That made me sad. She always set self imposed high goals, that's just who she is. In addition, in my job, I literally have to set SMART goals with pre-teens/teens every day, so it is second nature for me to do that- (so yeah, when you say who am I to tell a kid to adjust their goals- that is actually my job to help kids focus on making goals that they have control over and are achievable) but at the same time I realize it is not my job here ;).
As far as setting score goals, I get that some gymnasts find that a helpful way to measure their success and they link it to all the things that have to happen to get there- my daughter included had goals for scores she wanted to hit each season. The part that concerned me, was the goal for EVERY meet- and again that was just a hot button for me because of how gymnastics is this whole measure of perfection without room for error...I am still in the process of processing my daughter's gymnastics experience with her as she is recently retired- and this is something we have talked about a lot. I fear that the feeling 'not good enough' may be rampant in this sport. (Take a look at Shawn Johnson's I am Second short film) So yes, I acknowledge I may have read more into your situation- simply based on where I am at on processing this whole gymnastics journey of the past 10 years.
I do wish you and your daughter the best and I hope she realizes all her dreams.

You didn't actually owe anyone an apology. You are very nice.

Wowzer! a couple of falls on bars and beam and still scored in the 36's! That is crazytown! She must be one amazing gymnast two have 4 or more falls and still score that way. Good luck to her at State and for having an amazing season!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back