Vault table height

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gasrgoose

Proud Parent
Are there minimum height requirements for the vault table at level 5? Is it realistic to think girls on the same team might vault from different table heights. Or do most coaches just set the height and leave it?

Minimum height is 1000 cm, also called 100 or 0. It's very common to move the table up and down for girls on the same team. Depending on your team composition there may be itty bitty 7-8 yr olds and 12-13 yr olds on same team.
If coach keeps table at same height for all it could be part of the gym philosophy that they want everyone to learn to vault on 4 as soon as possible, or perhaps they are not interested in maximizing each child's individual potential at each and every meet, more of a sink or swim philosophy, or perhaps they are too lazy to turn the handle and pull the pin to move the table.

It is time consuming if you have 5 girls and try to put them each on a different setting and you will waste a lot of your warm-up time, but it's pretty easy to do 2 settings and split the kids high and low.

Thanks. My daughter is new to gymnastics. I don't know if the coaches adjust the height for each girl. My wife complemented my daughters vault and daughter said it was because the table was lower. I have know idea what height it was and was just curious. I assume they will do what they think is best for her development.

I think our gym uses a couple different settings. Most of the taller girls one setting and the shorter girls use a different setting. They seperate the training for vault this way so they don't have to continualy change the settings.

If coach keeps table at same height for all it could be part of the gym philosophy that they want everyone to learn to vault on 4 as soon as possible
What is the significance of vaulting on 4. Is it a required height at higher levels? Just curious and trying to learn. Thanks for your help.

What is the significance of vaulting on 4. Is it a required height at higher levels? Just curious and trying to learn. Thanks for your help.

1=100cm
2=110cm
3=115cm
4=120cm
5=125cm [this is the setting for elite [olympic] women. they all must vault at this setting. height CAN NOT be changed.
6=130cm
7=135cm [this is the setting for elite [olympic] men. same rules as the women.

i won't go in to men cause you have a daughter. on the women's side in the Junior Olympic Program [levels 1-10] the height of the table can be changed to "accomodate the safety of the athlete". this applies to balance beam and uneven bars too. although i have NEVER seen a coach lower the beam below 120 for a level 10 gymnast.

these decisions are coaching based and decided on at their discretion for a host of reasons.:)

My DD vaults on a 5. (level 7) she is really short but her coaches are havng her vault at the higher setting in order for her to get used to it for next year when she will have to start flipping a vault. Her scores have gone down somewhat from last season (vaulted on a 3) but not by too much. (maybe .2)

I find it really weird that you are allowed to have it anywhere you want!
Out vault has to be at 115cm (3) for anyone in argo or tyro (age 9-12) and 125 (5) for anyone novice or open (13+)
No exceptions!!
and same with beam! there is a set height, with no additional mats allowed under the beam then the competition mats.

1=100cm
2=110cm
3=115cm
4=120cm
5=125cm [this is the setting for elite [olympic] women. they all must vault at this setting. height CAN NOT be changed.
6=130cm
7=135cm [this is the setting for elite [olympic] men. same rules as the women.

i won't go in to men cause you have a daughter. on the women's side in the Junior Olympic Program [levels 1-10] the height of the table can be changed to "accomodate the safety of the athlete". this applies to balance beam and uneven bars too. although i have NEVER seen a coach lower the beam below 120 for a level 10 gymnast.

these decisions are coaching based and decided on at their discretion for a host of reasons.:)

I knew the vault table had different heights, as my daughter and a few girls on her team are at one height and then the rest are at a lower height. Interestingly, 2 of the 4 girls in my daughter's 'height group' are not that tall (my daughter included) but she said it's because she gets power on the springboard.

I never knew, however, that the beam could be at a different height and certainly the beam is whatever it is at a meet. But interestingly, my daughter had a meet at a gym a few weeks ago and had her worst beam score ever (usually her best event) She commmented that she thought the beam was too high and it felt funny! Maybe she was right!

In Australia

Min height level 4 - 105 cms, max height 125 cms (level 4 do is to mats stacked the same height as the table)

Min height for level 5 - 110 cm and max height 125 cm

Min height for level 6 120 cm and max height 125 cm

Level 7-10 must vault on 125

I find it really weird that you are allowed to have it anywhere you want!
Out vault has to be at 115cm (3) for anyone in argo or tyro (age 9-12) and 125 (5) for anyone novice or open (13+)
No exceptions!!
and same with beam! there is a set height, with no additional mats allowed under the beam then the competition mats.

I find it weird too. Bars and beam are set in the UK to FIG. Vault is 125 from about age 10 (some similar variations like yours).

I can't imagine kids competing on lower beams or vaults or adjusted bars. The biggest advantage must be on vault. Our kids do struggle to get over. Then being able to make bars wider and higher for giants must be great. Tall girls really struggle of swinging between those FIG bars.

to make sure you all understand...the USA is the only country to allow their age group program to adjust the equipment randomly.

but at the elite/olympic level FIG is used just as everywhere else. the equipment can not be adjusted.

For my dd's team, they adjust the height accordingly. There was one meet where it seemed like they were changing the table so much, but they were very quick about it and it worked out. My dd vaults anywhere between 0 and 3. She was vaulting on 3 right before the last meet very confidently but started freaking out and balking at the last meets' warm-ups, so coach dropped it down to 0 for her. I see that happening a lot in this league (vault can be one of the fear events and gives many of the girls problems). Allowing it to be lowered at any given time, makes it easier for the kids to get over vaulting fears and be able to make a decent vault.

Sounds like it is not uncommon for the height to be adjusted. But it does sound like it might benefit my daughter in the long run to vault at a higher number as long as it doesn't affect her confidence. I'm going to ask the coach what number she is vaulting on, but I don't think they adjust it for each kid. In her private lesson I think they set it a little lower to work on technique, but it seems like it's higher in team practices. I have complete confidence that her coaches are doing what is best for her

In my level/age group which is sorta like Level 5/6, vault is FIG, bars can be anywhere we want them to be and beam is FIG. That's fro the 13-14 year old P2's.

yOUNGER KIDS HAVE LOWER SETTINGS. oLDER KIDS HAVE HIGHER ONES.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back