WAG vault trouble for tiny kids

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

For front handspring vaults, I don't think it is a size thing; it is technique and aggressiveness making vault good rather than size making it challenging. Make sure she is accelerating to the leap line and punching with her feet in front. I know a drill our girls do involves turning the handstand flat back vault mat sideways and they do front layouts over it into the pit. Really seems to improve their vaults. Good luck! Little girls can be great vaulters!

they have started some of that. They stand up on end one of those octagon blocks (?) and do front layouts over it into the pit. She actually makes those really well most of the time.

The more I think about it, I think it may be a little bit of fear. She seems to be afraid of punching the board only when there is a vault table in front of her; she seems to stutter step at the end of the run. Probably because her first meet, she ran fast, punched the board super hard and then slipped and crashed face first into the end of the table, ending up with a bloody nose and a cut on the inside of her lip from her tooth (she finished the meet and actually ended up in 3rd AA which was a miracle! I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest after that crash...don't know how I'm going to do this if she keeps going!)

Thanks for the advice everyone!

She rocks it! It's my girl's goal for next year, and she too is a tiny one. Thank you for sharing it-I showed her, and she had me replay it....several times!

Mine is not tiny, not big either. Cannot vault. This FHS vault is killing her AA. Podiuming (new word) on every event and AA, and usually last or close on vault. Hoping for a miracle soon!

I have to agree with the others that said it's not a size thing!

If your dd has a powerful run and can hit the board properly then the vault will come! We have a lv 8 girl, weighs about 53 lbs, and she can throw a yurchenko layout.

Height and weight play a very small (if any) role at all!

Continue to trust the coaches and the process. She will find her groove soon!

GYM0M, I just noticed that the title of your video has "Compulsory Vault". My dd is only in level 2 and I haven't done much in the way of learning any of the requirements beyond level 3 but please tell me that's not really a compulsory vault o_O.

GYM0M, I just noticed that the title of your video has "Compulsory Vault". My dd is only in level 2 and I haven't done much in the way of learning any of the requirements beyond level 3 but please tell me that's not really a compulsory vault o_O.
No need to worry, that was a hopes elite compulsory vault not a JO compulsory vault! The hardest vault that is done in JO compulsories (levels 1-5) is a front handspring over the vault table in levels 4 and 5. Most gymnasts do not compete the vault in the video (a yurchenko pike) until at least level 8 (the first level it's an allowable vault in) so you have some time to get used to the idea of it before your daughter even gets near possibly doing one :D

thanks! how should she be hitting the board? they tell her something about not putting or not getting ( I don't remember!) her feet in front of her... she just turned 7 last week so her interpretation of the verbal corrections is often interesting!
Feet should be in front a bit. Chest up with an arm circle is how I teach it. Arms should be circling in a way that helps compress the springs as well as hit the table at a good angle.

Think her dd was testing hopes or elite. To do so there are 2 competitions, compulsory and optional. Much high requirements than JO compulsory.

Lol, others have responded correctly. I just wanted to reassure you that, no, that's not a JO compulsory vault. My DD is what you would consider elite-tracked. I'm sure you've read about it on here a bit. She's trying to qualify HOPES elite this year. To do so, she will need to receive a set score on the elite compulsory routines and her optional routines. In terms of JO, I'd say her skill level on beam and floor well surpass the requirements for L10. Vault about L10, and bars, oh bars, she's hanging in somewhere around L9.

Thanks everyone f0r confirming. I've read a little bit about Hopes elite but not enough to know that there are separate competitions/compulsory routines. I'll read up on it. It doesn't apply to me/my dd but still interesting to learn. My dd's gym doesn't even have Hopes elite (at least as far as I know).

In terms of JO, I'd say her skill level on beam and floor well surpass the requirements for L10. Vault about L10, and bars, oh bars, she's hanging in somewhere around L9.
Wow, that's really impressive.

Reactions: sce
One more caveat -- body type matters too. Mine are both slightly built ectomorphs without powerful runs, and both have struggled with vault. But now that my son is reliably over 80 lbs at age 13, he is flipping his tsuk reliably. My daughter transitioned to a twisting vault, and since twisting is a real strength for her, she is finally making progress on vault. Both did finally master FHSs, but it was not a fast process. Last year, my son was competing a yami half that routinely matched or outscored tucked tsuks. It's harder for the slightly built ones, but the difficulty does require them to work on technique. Once they finally get the strength, weight, and speed to get a decent block, things suddenly get a lot easier.

My kid is not tiny but not big. She is a turtle as far as getting stuff. Slow and steady. No huge change in height or weight.

I am clueless about vault. Most of the time it all looks good to me. And they are drilling tsuks. But currently finished her last L5 meet and onto L6. So we have been dealing with the FHS vault for 2 years now there about. Another 3 months to go.

Vault is her weakest event. Until this weekend. And maybe it was a fluke. But it seems something finally clicked. Even my husband was like wow, she did good. I would like to bottle whatever she did, without the step :)

I don't know what clicked, but something did. She has been flipping that FHS since 5/15. Finally, 02/17 me thinks she has it.

Well till next meet. :rolleyes:

my DD is also tiny and had major issues with vaulting when younger. She never broke 9.0 on her FHS vault in the compulsory level. her 1st optional level, her Yurechenko vault were so scary the coaches made her go back to doing FHS... since then, something has clicked and vault is now her strongest event. She's doing Yurechenko 3/2 in competition and DTY in practice. I think the small size becomes a huge advantage later on for twisting once they figure out how to block...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back