Parents Vegetarian gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

auswi

Proud Parent
Dd has been a vegetarian for 6 1/2 years, and is in the elite stream. We had her blood vitamin levels checked by a sport physician and they are excellent . Although I have researched and tried to educate ourselves about vegetarianism and high level sport as non vegetarian parents we still worry :) LOL who doesn't worry about their gymmie:) Just wondering if any of you other chalk bucket people have any experience or know of other vegetarian gymies?

My DD is not completetly vegetarian, she eats only chicken and of course vegetables. She is lactose intolerant and is allergic to shellfish. She eats well and is tall and healthy. I do worry about her protein intake because she doesn't even eat lentils. I give her vitamin supplements only un late fall and winter.

My daughter doesn't do a bunch of hours right now but we are vegetarian almost vegan (we eat pastured eggs) I think if her blood levels look good you are doing great getting her what she needs. I just end up paying a little bit closer attention to what my kids are eating to make sure they are getting enough vitamins, protein and calcium without the animal products.

Sounds like she is doing fine. But if you are worried maybe see a sports nutrionist type person. I know @leotardmakermum saw one due to her daughters allergies/intolerances.
Your club may be able to recommend someone?

We are predominantly vegetarian with the occasional fish dish thrown in and DDs coaches says she is one of the stronger gymnasts in her group. We are nowhere near the elite stream of course. As others have said you have to pay a little more attention to protein intake but I think it can be done very easy and healthy. I think with growing kids being vegan is more difficult (although certainly not impossible) it just takes even more planning. I think as long as she doesn't have an over- reliance on dairy for her protein she will do fine. I have lots of cookbooks with easy, quick and tasty recipes if your DD needs suggestions.

I was a vegetarian gymnast. It was the worst decision I ever made. Sorry, but I wish my parents had gotten help for me and my "meat issues" instead of allowing my so-called healthy diet.

Vegetarian doesn't equal healthy or unhealthy.
You can be a vegetarian and eat nothing but potato chips and fizzy drinks. Or spend your life eating fruits and vegetables.

I don't think being a vegetarian makes any difference to how you perform. You just need to eat clean.

I've been a vegetarian for years and it doesn't make any difference. If she's eating a broad range of food like nuts and beans she'll be getting enough protein. Lots of people who eat meat don't even meet their recommended protein intake.

It's not what you eat it's how you eat.

Th
You can be a vegetarian and eat nothing but potato chips and fizzy drinks. Or spend your life eating fruits and vegetables.

I don't think being a vegetarian makes any difference to how you perform. You just need to eat clean.

I've been a vegetarian for years and it doesn't make any difference. If she's eating a broad range of food like nuts and beans she'll be getting enough protein. Lots of people who eat meat don't even meet their recommended protein intake.

Thank you everyone for your replies. The sport physician did say he would far sooner see a vegetarian like Dd who eats a wide range of food then a meat eater with a limited variety of food, but it's so supportive to hear of other vegetarian gymmies out there. Other parents are always quick to remark, often negatively, when they realise she is vegetarian- not that she wears her vegetarianism as a badge but at gym parties etc it is noticed!

Th

Thank you everyone for your replies. The sport physician did say he would far sooner see a vegetarian like Dd who eats a wide range of food then a meat eater with a limited variety of food, but it's so supportive to hear of other vegetarian gymmies out there. Other parents are always quick to remark, often negatively, when they realise she is vegetarian- not that she wears her vegetarianism as a badge but at gym parties etc it is noticed!
I was a vegetarian gymnast. It was the worst decision I ever made. Sorry, but I wish my parents had gotten help for me and my "meat issues" instead of allowing my so-called healthy diet.
Hi gymjunkie, I'm so sorry your vegetarianism was such a bad experience for you. Is there any particular thing from your experience that you recommend we watch for with Dd ? Dd decided to be a vegiatarian when quite small, but has always eaten a wide variety of food. We have had her checked annually by the GP and try to ensure she combines 2 veggie proteins in one meal( such as lentils and beans) to ensure a whole protein, but with the bigger gym hours got a much more thorough check up done . She has an iron pill several times a week and eats eggs.

We are predominantly vegetarian with the occasional fish dish thrown in and DDs coaches says she is one of the stronger gymnasts in her group. We are nowhere near the elite stream of course. As others have said you have to pay a little more attention to protein intake but I think it can be done very easy and healthy. I think with growing kids being vegan is more difficult (although certainly not impossible) it just takes even more planning. I think as long as she doesn't have an over- reliance on dairy for her protein she will do fine. I have lots of cookbooks with easy, quick and tasty recipes if your DD needs suggestions.

Hi Rockygym, if you are able could you please post your cookbook title and author so I can order one? Thanks in advance:)

Auswi, I will send you some info privately. People can become very passionate about vegetarian diets (I sure was), and I don't want to start a debate. My concern is not limited to whether or not vegetarianism affects gymnastics ability, it goes beyond that. I had a doctor try for years to get me to start eating meat again (he was a former veggie himself). He did show me how it shows up in your blood work if you know what tests to order and what to look for. It's not just a protein issue either. I'll PM when I have more time.

Hi Rockygym, if you are able could you please post your cookbook title and author so I can order one? Thanks in advance:)
A few of our favorites include:
Moosewood restaurant Cooking for Health
Vegan express by Nava Atlas
Veganomicon by Moskowitz and Romero

My daughter has been vegetarian from birth. There is also one elite girl at our gym who is vegan, also from birth I believe, and doing well, though I don't know her vitamin levels. She is an 8 year old level 7 in tops.

My DD is a vegetarian. We eat primarily vegetarian (occasionally when we are out we might eat a piece of meat, but its not very often) and eat primarily a whole foods diet. DD is so strong and muscular. Her lab work is spot on for her age. As someone mentioned above, make sure she is getting complete proteins. I love the website ohsheglows for some whole food meal ideas also the ppk (the website for Isa Chandra who did Veganomicon). I should also mention she is a 10 y/o Level 6.

My daughter has been vegetarian since birth (as have both me and her dad and the rest of our family) and she is fine...strong, healthy, doing great.

One of my daughters is a vegetarian. No one else in our family is, it's her choice and has been since she was a toddler. I do have to put some additional thought into her meals to make sure she gets a wide range of nutrients. She eats at least one bean dish every day, yogurts, peanut butter, other nuts and seeds, quinoa. She likes to snack on things like roasted garbanzos, steamed edamame, yogurt smoothies. It's a healthy diet, not always the easiest diet to prepare though. She is decidedly healthy and strong.

One of my daughters is a vegetarian. No one else in our family is, it's her choice and has been since she was a toddler. I do have to put some additional thought into her meals to make sure she gets a wide range of nutrients. She eats at least one bean dish every day, yogurts, peanut butter, other nuts and seeds, quinoa. She likes to snack on things like roasted garbanzos, steamed edamame, yogurt smoothies. It's a healthy diet, not always the easiest diet to prepare though. She is decidedly healthy and strong.
Sounds exactly like Dd :) Our Dd seems to have a very quick recovery time after training - not sure if it's the physiology of Dd the diet ( because she is vegetarian her diet is packed full of healthy food)or both:) How does your Dd 's recovery time go? ( By recovery time I just mean after a tough session she seems to be bouncing around again sooner then her team mates)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back