WAG Very few XD gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So what level would Excel diamond be equivalent to?
It is tough to compare xcel and JO levels, but I'll try my best. XD is around levels 7-9, leaning toward the level 7 side. This is because the minimum requirements are close to 7 and the maximum skills allowed are close to level 9. For instance, I would say that the floor requiremnts are about level 7.5 because it requires a B tumbling pass. I would also say XD is around a level 7.5 on the minimum vaults. Beam and bars requirements are close to level 7, with exceptions such as less stringent casting on bars. One could argue diamond can be up to level 9, because 1 D skill is allowed per event, and unlimited C skills are allowed.

At my gym, if you were to take the diamonds and place them into JO levels, some would go to level 6/7 and some to even 9. Most diamonds in the country are close to a level 7.

From what I've seen around here, bars tends to be lowest level, though I've seen routines that would be L8. Lots of variation on FX. Some flipping vaults, but plenty of non-flipping. Beam acros range from CW-RO to a few BTs.

I hope gyms give XD a chance.

My dd did Level 7 a couple of years and XP for a couple more. She is ready for level 8 on floor, nearly there for beam and vault, but bars will never happen at level 8 for various reasons (shoulder injuries, at a Y so low hours, school sports cutting into gym practice time, etc)

If XP or 7 would be her options for next season, she’d opt out of gym despite loving it. She just can’t see competing basically the same skills for 5+ years and not getting to compete the higher level skills she has. XD will give her a chance to progress where she can and not be held back by one event.

The reason I question what level xcel diamond is, is because I was surprised to hear gyms say that you can’t train those skills safely on 12 hours per week. We train kids on these types of skills in much less hours. B Value skills to a good standard often on 6-8 hours, back floor fulls, front layouts, back handspring on beam, giants on bars etc. Not double backs or anything like that, but certainly level 7-8 skills.

The reason I question what level xcel diamond is, is because I was surprised to hear gyms say that you can’t train those skills safely on 12 hours per week. We train kids on these types of skills in much less hours. B Value skills to a good standard often on 6-8 hours, back floor fulls, front layouts, back handspring on beam, giants on bars etc. Not double backs or anything like that, but certainly level 7-8 skills.

My daughter is doing L8-type routines as a diamond this year, is competing some C skills, and is working D and E skills. She's typically uptrained quite a bit at the expense of perfect routines, but she's more interested in learning the skills as opposed to perfection at meets. She does 11 hours a week, including one joint session with the L7-9s a week. Her coach would ideally like a little more time with her a week, but doesn't feel like she's doing anything unsafe.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back