Parents Very Late Meet Report - and Sad News

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi Everyone,

I don't post all that often, but really wanted to post our meet report from my DD's 1st level 5 meet. Unfortunately, my mother whose has had some health issues following a fall in October suffered a 3rd heart attack and very bad stroke on the Tuesday following the meet. She died peacefully the following Saturday December 12th... Kayla (my level 5'er has been such a comfort to me throughout the whole ordeal with my Mom despite her own sadness and grief).

On to happier times and a little background. Kayla was at a gym for her developmental year that had very poor coaching. She arrived at our current gym in May 2008. Her skill set was... bridge kickover, cartwheel (ugly one), walk on beam, forward roll and occasinal backward roll. One of her coaches was so mean to the girls screaming constantly when they vaulted that Kayla was afraid to even jump onto the springboard.

So... When she got there in May she started learning skills like crazy. The original plan was to have her do developmental for another year, but she learned so many skills so quickly that she was invited to the level 4 team which is what she did. Unfortunately, she wasn't really ready and came in last or almost last at every meet. The only event that she ever medalled in was at the last meet on balance beam. She was thrilled!

So... Onto level 5 (I still feel like she is about 6 months behind where she should be, but the gap is closing)...

First event: Vault - her nemesis. Her coach told her he would only spot her first vault but spotted both (which probably was the right call). 5.5 Her vault has improved GREATLY since then with some privates with a different coach -- long story.

Uneven Bars: She had her kip, no connections, no long hang kip, 7.3. She was very happy with her performance.

Beam: She is very good at beam but has had some mental issues with it this past fall due to splitting the beam. She has come a looooonnnnngggg way though. She had not been going up all the way in her handstands in practice (did I mention Kayla LOVES to compete?) well she levered, went all the way up, levered back down, but wasn't square and her foot went off and down she went. Hopped right back up and finished everything else perfectly with the exception of her split jump and leap (which still need to be higher, greater angle, etc.) She got a time penalty and the fall and still got an 8.3.

Floor: Bent legs on her front hand spring (sometimes that skill is better than others). But the rest of her floor was A MAAAAA ZING!!! She really loves to dance and really expresses herself.

We gave her favorite coach a ride home after the meet which was a real treat for Kayla. I unfortunately, dropped her and DH off at home and than drove down to my Mom's to stay over night with her Monday and Tuesday. I left her Tuesday morning feeling well, and going out with her friend to get blood work and TED stockings. That was the last time I saw her.

Kayla's first few practices since my Mom's death, she understandably was just not herself, but her teamates hugged her frequently and supported her. This week she is back to her old self and better than ever. I know her Grandma is watching her from above and is soooo proud of her.

On a good note, I got to show my Mom the video on Monday night of Kayla's first level 5 meet. She was sooooo proud of her. Kayla also had a great day decorating my Mom's apartment for Christmas. She was discharged on the day before her meet. We had the best day.

O.k. sorry I got all emotional.... can't help it right now. Anyway, there's the lennnngggthy report. I promise my next one will be shorter!

Sue Z.

Last edited:
I am so sorry you are going through this. Especially at the holdiays. I know it can't be easy. I wish I had some magic words to say that would make you feel better.

Sue I am so teriibly sorry for your loss, a tough time of year and losing your Mom is just such a profound loss. A good friend of mine lst her 59 year old husband last week and it is just hard. Sending you some hugs.

As for Kayla she really is showing everyone what she's made of. Amazing job on bean, she is going to shine there htis year and good for her for doing her best on everything.

So sorry you are going through so much this holiday season. Glad you got to spend time together and share your gymmies triumphs with your mom.

Kayla did a great job! Those last little bits will come together in no time. We'll be thinking of both of you as you keep on keeping on!

So very sorry to hear about your mother. What a difficult time this must be for you. It's wonderful that Kayla can be a comfort to you.

It sounds like Kayla has come a long way in a short time. Great job in her first L5 meet! She must have a very nice beam routine!

Meg

Sue ~ It was nice chatting with you the other day. I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. My father-in-law passed away in October and this will be a tough Christmas for all of us.

I'm so proud of Kayla and how far she's come. What a great meet she had!! That dreaded vault will get better! Have a nice holiday and hug that little gymmie of yours! :)

I am very sorry to hear about your Mom. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Sounds like Kayla is doing very well and is going to just get better I am sure.

Sue, I am so sorry for the loss of your Mother. ((((HUGS)))) to you and your family. I hope you are able to find comfort in that she is in a better place andno longer suffering, even though our hearts break in sadness.

I will be praying for you and your family this holiday season.

Kayla sounds like she is improving in leaps & bounds. Can't wait tohear about the next meet.

}}HUGS{{ I'm so sorry for the loss of your mom. What a wonderful thing that you were able to share such a wonderful day with her before she passed away though. I love that she was able to watch your dds 1st meet of the season and share this with your dd. I'm sure it meant the world to her to be able to watch her compete and in turn meant a lot to your dd also.

It sounds like your dd has made some huge improvements over the last year! Way to go! I'm sure she'll keep improving and have a wonderful year.

Sending lots of hugs your way--I can't imagine what you're going through right now. How wonderful that you got to spend time with your mom at the end though-and she got to see video of Kayla competing! She must have loved that. Keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers.

My thoughts and prayers are with you in this great time of loss. No matter how old we are losing your mom is always hard!!

I am glad you have DD to comfort you in this time of loss. Glad to hear your DD is doing well that meet report reminds me of when my own DD was a level 5 it brings me bcak as mine is now a Level 8 she has come a long way.

Hugs this time of year for both of you!!

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for your words. They are a true comfort. I am glad My Mom is is a beautiful place with no pain or health problems. I miss her so, but have so much.

As someone said above me I will keep on keeping on. Kayla is doing great and glad to be in the gym so much. I hope everyone has a great Christmas. I know there will be (already is) a lot of sadness this Christmas. I will be looking very hard for the joy that I know I will find there as well.

Thanks again everyone!

Sue Z

awwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeee:( :( I am so sorry for your loss :(:(
Way to go Kayla:)
Sounds like she did awesome for her first meet with such a short time of some good coaching and training;)
I am so glad your mom got to see the videos.
Way to go Kayla on your first level 5 meet

So Sorry to hear of your loss.. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

At least you were able to see her one last time.

Congrats Kayla on a great Floor routine!

Sue-
Please accept my heartfelt sympathies on the passing of your mom. I lost my dad in Jan. and reading your story opened up a floodgate of tears. I think as adult children, we tend to "suck it up" and try to move on for everyone but ourselves. So glad your dd is getting support at her gym. Mine got some, but they all seemed to think once we were back from the funeral, she was fine.

This will be a tough holiday for us also. Take some time for yourself and let others take care of you occasionally.

I bet your mom and my dad are sitting down comparing notes on their gymnast granddaughters.

{{{{HUGS}}}} to you and your family. Tell Kayla to keep having fun with L5---that vault will come, just have to keep on practicing.

Sue

So sorry for your loss. ((((HUGS)))) I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers this holiday season.

Sounds like a great 1st level 5 meet! Your daughter has come so far in a short time!

Very sorry about your mom. Hugs to all of you. Losing a parent is something I have not been through and cannot imagine.

Great job to Kayla though! Good start to her level 5 season. Soo glad her grandma got to see the video of her first L5 meet. I am sure she will be watching over and cheering for her at her meets to come.

Again, lots of hugs and so sorry for your loss.

I'm truly sorry to hear that you lost your Mom. Thank God that your last time and your daughter's last time with her were so good.

I'm praying for you and your family.

My heart aches for you! Big hugs! I lost my dad a few years ago and since we do not live in the same state, it had been several months since I had seen him. I am so happy that you were able to enjoy that day together and that she was able to watch the meet video!! Congrats to your dd on a great meet!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back