very new parent questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello. We are very new to this and feel like we have no idea what is going on. :)

My son is 8 and isLevel 4. His coach is a former Olympian and has been voted the best coach in NYstate so it is a wonderful opportunity. The team always does very well.

Anyway, my question is mostly about the meets. He has done one, and is scheduled for 4 more, all in NY. Some members of the team are also going to meets in FL and in NV but we are not.

What happends if he does (or doesn't) do well at the local meeets? What are the advantages of going to a travel meet? Do they count for anything or are they just for experience? I assume there are regionals and states? How do I know what/where/when those are and if he is on track to participate? Do you go to these only for your best event, or do you have to be strong all around?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome. I have a ds in gymnastics too. He's 9 and is level 5 this year. I don't know if state programs differ significantly or not. Where I am, you just have to compete at the level to qualify for states. For boys, regionals start at level 5. They qualify from the state meet to regionals. THere's no real advantage to going to out of state meets. It's just for the experience. It does give the kids a chance to see what the competition from other areas is like. It's really more relevent to the higher levels though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back