Visitor needing help choosing gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kiwimum

Proud Parent
Hi, anyone in the Hertfordshire and/or bedforshire area that I could PM some questions?
I've got two gyms who have agreed to have my daughter for a few weeks next month when we travel to the UK.
I think I'm finally getting my head around the levels /grades lol, but now I am not sure which gym to choose.
I suppose it doesn't really matter for 2 weeks, but if one stands out as being much better I'd like to know... Cheers

For 2 weeks I would go for the one that is easier to get to, has better facility, allows you to watch, seems more fun and welcoming, has offered hours which suit you better, has girls competing a similar level successfully, is near other things you would like to do/ go to while she is training or before or after training. It needs to fit in with your holiday while keeping her fitness up.

Thanks. Yes I have similar thoughts. We are away just over 4 weeks total, and comp season starts 5 weeks after we return.
We are in UK just over 3 weeks then just under a week in Australia.
I have a gym sorted for the 4 days we are in a smaller town in UK.
It's just the two week period we are in the same spot in UK I'm sorting now.
She currently trains 14 hours, but her coach just wants her to do 2 - 3 sessions a week to keep on top of fitness and skills.

At the moment :
Gym A -
  • great looking facility, has pit (we don't have that)
  • 17 minute drive
  • will be training with their squad that trains 14 hours per week (possibly more as its their holidays). Their next level up (snrs) train the same hours, then they also have elites that train 25.
So this means choosing 3 days per week that work out of maybe 5 days that they train. (so possibly could miss one whole apparatus power week if the days she misses are when they train those)
  • the location is close to an OK mall that I'd be happy to shop at
  • has a viewing area. (initially I thought I couldn't view as they say in website entrance to gym whilst training strictly only with prior arrangement - but have since figured out that must mean on the gym floor, as they then talk about viewing area...
  • still waiting to get their hours and days (as it's going to be holidays). They have said last week they'll send through ASAP
-no idea of cost yet

Gym B

• 23 mins (5 mins further), in opposite direction
  • another great looking facility, has a pit too.
  • will be in their squad that trains only 9 hours a week (3 x 3). (looks like their top squad only trains 14), so they either don't have as high a level as other gym there, or they do with much less hours..
  • they have given me the hours and days and they work well, 2 weekday evenings and a Saturday afternoon. It means she could attend every session, so no chance of missing an apparatus.
Also am thinking it makes her more included if she's at all their trainings, whereas if the other gym trains 4-5 days, she'll be missing 1-2 per week.
  • good viewing area
  • cost approx 200 pounds. Which is probably a bit higher than expected but cost won't be a deciding factor.
  • also has a reasonable mall nearby

So yeah, that's where I'm at.
The details that I don't have, which I don't really feel I'm in a position to ask (beggars can't be choosers etc) are things like how many people in the group, what's the coach ratio, how much time is spent doing what etc etc but I'm not in a position to start asking all this when they are doing me a favour.
It is just two weeks, and I'm sure either one is going to be perfectly fine. I just want the experience to be great for my daughter too, as she's only 9 and she'll be sacrificing some holiday/family time for this so the better it is for her, the happier I'll be!

Thanks for letting me ramble on!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back