WAG Vote for Simone for SI Athlete of the Year

• Thread starter Deleted member 18037
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Voted! And I can't believe Simone only hold's 3 percent of the vote right now compared to the horse with 44%!!! Seriously??? LOL!

Wait what a horse is winning? Why did it even get nominated?! And yet there were people complaining the female contenders didn't fall under the category "sportsMAN".
Sometimes these types of competitions confuse me to no end.

Reactions: sce
There hasn't been a Triple Crown winner since Affirmed in 1978. Winning it this year was a big deal, and huge for the sport. Maybe I'm biased because I grew up in thoroughbred country.

Rant Incoming -

Many, many years ago when I was in high school, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, Sports Illustrated put out an article with the top 50 athletes of all time. There were only 2 women in the top 50 and I believe the highest woman was 39th, 34 places below a horse on that list. Yup, Secretariat top 5... woman, be happy we even consider you an athlete. I believe it was Billy Jean King who was 39 and Martina Navratilova was like 48th. No Gail Devers, no Wilma Rudolph, no Flojo.

I am no feminist by any stretch of the imagination, but even as a teenager I was insulted by how belittling the list was to female athletes. They should call these lists what they are, athletes who hold the most records in MALE sports. I mean hell, a freaking BOWLER was on that original list above the first female. A BOWLER!!! Yeah, cause there's a sport that takes a ton of willpower to stick with. If you can smoke and drink a beer while doing it, it's not a sport, it's a hobby.

The one that's up now I take with a grain of salt, because I would guess the majority of their web traffic is male and fans of the main US sports (football, baseball and basketball). However the original ranking I mentioned, was done by professionals. Men paid for their opinions in the sporting world who though a dang bowler had more athletic prowess that Nadia or Korbut. There were no gymnasts on the list, male or female.

At the time my mother actually wrote a letter to the magazine whose next issue was flooded with angry letters about female athletes who had been slighted. We sort of chalked it up an older mentality, but I just now checked the current SI 50 greatest list and since the 80s it's gotten no better.

There are still a whopping 2 females on the list, Mia Hamm (38) and Serena Willams (46) and seriously... How in the H-E-Double Hockey Stocks does Kohei not make this list?!?!? At least the bowler is no longer on there and thankfully, no horses... Though I am sure American Pharaoh will be added next year knocking Serena, the most dominant female tennis player ever, out of the top 50.

Jumping off soapbox and slinking back into my corner now while angrily muttering to myself o_O

Honestly, I don't think Simone has a chance until after the Olympics. Shes just not a household name........ yet.
Next year, I think the results will be WAY different.

Rant Incoming -
I mean hell, a freaking BOWLER was on that original list above the first female. A BOWLER!!! Yeah, cause there's a sport that takes a ton of willpower to stick with. If you can smoke and drink a beer while doing it, it's not a sport, it's a hobby.

o_O

OMG LMAO, if I drank beer I would of spit it out........ I will be stealing that.

So what does it say about golf then............. Rofl

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back