Parents W&M cuts more programs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This is so sad. I am glad to hear those on scholarship in those sports will be able to keep them during their time there if they choose to stay. Do Universities ever bring back programs if the economic climate improves?

I know it’s really going to be unpopular, especially here, but I wouldn’t mind seeing ncaa sports all slowly disappear. College is about learning and prepping for a career, and I genuinely think that club sports should be the sum of college participation. I am glad that W&M are honoring the scholarships they’ve already promised, though.

So sad!! I swam at William and Mary in the 90s and we had to fight to keep swimming then. So sad it’s being cut.
But... I also rowed club crew there and it was a super positive experience with lots of competition. So, I like the idea of club sports getting more participation.

I have ties to W&M and am sad to see the gymnastics teams go, but on the other hand W&M undergraduates pay nearly $2,000 per year in intercollegiate athletic fees, the fifth highest assessment in the nation. It doesn’t seem right for some students to be taking out an extra $8,000 in loans over the course of four years so that other students can have the privilege of playing sports. Students with other talents and interests have to pay their own way—for example, W&M charges an applied music fee on top of tuition for music lessons that are part of the actual curriculum.

I have never understood why W&M was a D1 school in the first place. It is a small public university that is primarily focused on academics. I would have liked to see the school go D3 instead of cutting programs. It would improve the school’s overall culture.

Oh this is sad we went to a meet earlier this year the gymnasts were so nice and signed autographs and took pictures after the meet.

I have ties to W&M and am sad to see the gymnastics teams go, but on the other hand W&M undergraduates pay nearly $2,000 per year in intercollegiate athletic fees, the fifth highest assessment in the nation. It doesn’t seem right for some students to be taking out an extra $8,000 in loans over the course of four years so that other students can have the privilege of playing sports. Students with other talents and interests have to pay their own way—for example, W&M charges an applied music fee on top of tuition for music lessons that are part of the actual curriculum.

I didn't realize students have to pay a fee specific to collegiate sports, and that is a lot of money! I would maybe pay a few hundred, but not $8,000! I disagree with the statement that collegiate sport is only for a privileged few who can play though, at least in my family's experience. College sports have given us so much as students while attending and all these years after graduation. My husband went to a big sports school, and I a really big baseball school. The kids in the family grow up rooting for the same team. It is so much fun! There is instant camaraderie with fellow fans and it is always a great party topic with friends, family, neighbors, even strangers. It is a part of our social life, and almost family reunions of sort at bowl games. I get it we have pro sports, but for our family, it is college sports all the way.

My oldest just started at a state university. There is a $900 athletic fee each semester. Students do get free entry into home games. But even with no sports this semester they still have to pay the fee because most of it goes to support athletic scholarships.

Just saw W&M is reenstating women’s gymnastics, swimming and diving and volleyball. Men’s sports still cut.

Well, at least they are halfway there. I still think they should just cut the football team and maybe basketball too and reinstate the other men's sports.

Well, at least they are halfway there. I still think they should just cut the football team and maybe basketball too and reinstate the other men's sports.

Last I heard, they were still considering the men. I am not optimistic. The sad part is, the men's team is financially self-sustaining.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back