WAG Floor Finals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The final was great, however what was up with Jon insisting that Aly's routine was better than Simone's? I mean, it was incredible and she has looked better with every routine she's done, but even I, a layperson, could spot the in-the-air deductions on every tumbling pass. Courtney was like, yeah, no.

Well, Aly's landings were superb. They just were. I am not saying overall she tied Simone. Not at all. But Aly has cleaned up her form considerably.

The TV analysts seem to think that landings are the only technical aspect of gymnastics. They don't mention bent knees or feet/leg separation or piked form; the landings, not falling and not going out of bounds are all that seems to matter to them.

I think the point was well made that Simone was vastly superior to Aly in the air.

The TV analysts seem to think that landings are the only technical aspect of gymnastics. They don't mention bent knees or feet/leg separation or piked form; the landings, not falling and not going out of bounds are all that seems to matter to them.
Actually, (granted it's live stream and not TV) Courtney said that Aly's landings were better, but that Simone's was cleaner on the air.

ETA: Terry beat me to it

I really have no idea why Jon said that. Her execution was not better. I'm pretty sure Courtney was just trying to play it off politely with her comment about air vs landings but overall Simone's execution was still better - not as much as it usually is, but Aly would have needed like a 9.5 execution to overtake Simone and that's not realistic. I would agree that Aly has improved her form in certain areas a lot, and has a fantastic routine. I didn't really expect a lot higher than a 15.6 after Simone got a 9.0 execution. Simone gets deducted on some of her leaps, so surely Aly gets deducted more.

I love Aly and many of you on here know I've gotten into a few disagreements over just how special she is on here over the years :) but yeah, I was confused about that line of commentary.

I love Aly and many of you on here know I've gotten into a few disagreements over just how special she is on here over the years :) but yeah, I was confused about that line of commentary.

I love aly too. Her gymnastics as well as her personality. But she would be the first person to say she can't begin to compete with Simone.

OMG, waiting for that last score, so please for little Amy
I JUST watched it! I was at work all day and had to avoid all internet/media even at lunch! But I was hoping for Amy too. I was obviously psyched for Simone and Aly, but I seriously teared up when Amy did. :)

They are on with Bob Costas, look up the interview. They are giddy!
This was the best I have ever heard Aly. She and Simone were not spouting PR media training. They were silly, giddy goofy and mostly coherent. I am totally laughing out loud!

The final was great, however what was up with Jon insisting that Aly's routine was better than Simone's? I mean, it was incredible and she has looked better with every routine she's done, but even I, a layperson, could spot the in-the-air deductions on every tumbling pass. Courtney was like, yeah, no.
I was thinking the same thing. I love Aly, but she never gets all her split leaps to 180, and her legs were clearly apart on her double layout. Her form is good, but not as precise as Simone's. Funny, that's the only time I disagreed with him all week!!

I liked Aly's routine better than Simone's. Part of it is the passes themselves. Simone does her passes amazingly and exceedingly well. HOWEVER, they're all double back flip skills. Aly does front, arabian, and back skills, including combinations. In men's gymnastics Simone would be missing two element groups. From a Men's gymnastics perspective Aly's dance looked good because there weren't big/obvious errors - watch the men do crappy jumps into the corner ;) We all know there's more to judging the dance skills than the big/obvious errors. If I sat down and did my own math, I'm sure I'd agree Simone scored higher... but I just vastly prefer Aly's diverse routine. Intuitively, it feels like better tumbling passes to me.

I liked Aly's routine better than Simone's. Part of it is the passes themselves. Simone does her passes amazingly and exceedingly well. HOWEVER, they're all double back flip skills. Aly does front, arabian, and back skills, including combinations. In men's gymnastics Simone would be missing two element groups. From a Men's gymnastics perspective Aly's dance looked good because there weren't big/obvious errors - watch the men do crappy jumps into the corner ;) We all know there's more to judging the dance skills than the big/obvious errors. If I sat down and did my own math, I'm sure I'd agree Simone scored higher... but I just vastly prefer Aly's diverse routine. Intuitively, it feels like better tumbling passes to me.
Simone does a single front aerial in her routine for her forward acro element.(though in the new code they have changed it so forward and backward elements must both be included in a pass) Agree with the sentiment that the variety of tumbling is more enjoyable.

Also agree that Aly has cleaned up her execution considerably, really just a lot of 0.05 and 0.1 deductions on every leap/jump/tumbling pass that add up, and may not be obvious to a men's gymnastics eye. Judges gave her an 8.9 E score (with two small landing deduction or would have been around 9.1!) Never would have though that was possible, she did some amazing work leading up to these games.

Simone does a single front aerial in her routine for her forward acro element.(though in the new code they have changed it so forward and backward elements must both be included in a pass) Agree with the sentiment that the variety of tumbling is more enjoyable.

Also agree that Aly has cleaned up her execution considerably, really just a lot of 0.05 and 0.1 deductions on every leap/jump/tumbling pass that add up, and may not be obvious to a men's gymnastics eye. Judges gave her an 8.9 E score (with two small landing deduction or would have been around 9.1!) Never would have though that was possible, she did some amazing work leading up to these games.
I think we have resolved the questions on this board of whether international judges will like Aly. I think they really, really like her.

So happy for all of them - loved the interview as well. I think they were on a sugar high from those cupcakes they mentioned!

I like Simone's floor style much better than Alys. Her legs are straighter, more together and her feet are more pointed (although she does tend to sickle them somewhat) - and she has good flexibility. I think Aly floor technique looks very masculine and just not elegant - her tumbling in the air is much cleaner than it used to be though.

To be honest though, I actually found almost all the floor routines in the final to be lacking in elegance and artistry :/ - but I guess those those of gymnasts can't do double twisting double backs (which almost seemed to be a compulsory skill in the EF routines) ;).

That little Flavia from Brazil has really good floor technique - great mix of power and elegance - I guess she didn't have the difficulty to make the final though? - does anyone know? She moves like someone who has had a lot of ballet and has amazing feet. I wonder how much of it is from training or just natural.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back