WAIS talent ID invite

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LilchampH

Proud Parent
My dd is just 7 yrs old NDP 2. She is petite with lean body. Can really proove her flexibility and strength. She'll be 1 yr in gymnastics. Her dear coach and myself also hubby had a big shock being told by WAIS co-ordinator that she was not selected due to her body shape.

It was so clear the selection was not based on their previous comps. Her coach confirmed it too. She got gold and silver because other kids in the class who can not perform equally as dd got selected. Her dear coach spoke to WAIS that they must see my dd who is really amazing at her age and considered the best in her team. By the way She got an assessment session that I just need to confirm with WAIS but have second thoughts if we have to go ahead. She's still so young. Everyone that knows my dd see her natural talents in so many ways.

Hubby and I now planning to convince her to quit due to body shape policy of WAIS Fliers Gymnastics.

She's only 7 for god's sake with under developed body shape.

The selection criteria for Talent ID was totally non sense. This experience will be remembered forever in our life.

A friend who had contacts with WAIS will investigate the term "Body Shape".

Thank you for reading.

I'm just a proud mom.

Just because she is not selected for the program does not mean she cannot continue to love, and excel, in gymnastics. It is not all about elite and the Olympics. 99.9% of gymnasts will never compete in an International meet as an elite.

I'm a little lost? So she has had an assessment at WAIS and was turned down?
And you are going to make her quit something she loves and is apparently doing very well in because she didn't get into an IDP club? And tell her it's because of her body shape at 7 years old?

Thanks bogwoppit!
I got your point. Did you sense any bit of discrimination? Did you sense a bit of scrap policy? We have a week to decide if we'll let dd proove their 'Body shape' policy is wrong. We are not pushy parents with big hope for international comps even though she was also accepted for IDP 2 with other clubs. There are other much competetive kids who were not selected in the team. Their parents also have big ??? their heads. Her dear coach also claimed it was the first time she heard it.

I cannot help but feel you are placing way too much importance on this.

Gyms often have a certain look, or body type, they go for. It is not unusual and it is selection, not discrimination.

Please do not mention "body type" to your child as a reason for rejection.it will serve no purpose at all.

Frankly if a program said they did not think my child was a good fit I would move on. You say you have other gyms to go to. Choose the one you like the best and go there.

Sorry OzZee.
DD was not selected to come for a Talent ID by WAIS flyers program. Her coash still recommender her to WAIS for assessment that they must see my dd. Because of her coach recommendation WAIS gave us an assessment date due in 2 weeks time. We have not confirmed her attendance yet.

Colour me confused. You are stressing out and your child has not even been evaluated??

Gymnastics is a very long road.

Reactions: sce
I cannot help but feel you are placing way too much importance on this.

Gyms often have a certain look, or body type, they go for. It is not unusual and it is selection, not discrimination.

Please do not mention "body type" to your child as a reason for rejection.it will serve no purpose at all.

Frankly if a program said they did not think my child was a good fit I would move on. You say you have other gyms to go to. Choose the one you like the best and go there.

My main aim is to correct the policy term of a big department of Western Australia Institute of Sport (WAIS).
WAIS is not just a gym club. They need to review a 'Body Shape' policy for 7 yrs old.

As I said, policy on "body types" is very, very common in gyms all over the world.

We might not like it, but gyms do have a look, or an age, or a list of skills that they use to choose gymnasts by.

It is pretty normal in kids sports.

WAIS is a large gym, within a sports institute, who can be very selective. I doubt they will change their selection criteria because parents want them to,

Sorry if I confused you. When we heard 'body shape' policy we (parents and coaches) so confused than u are right now. The subject here is the policy of 'Body Shape'. A gymnast chosen to come for a talent ID was not based at their previous comps whether you got gold or the best overall. It's the body shape WAIS are observing.

There are many things that an IDP program are looking for in young gymnasts and coming 1st in an ndp2 competition is not even on their list. And yes body shape and potential body shape are one of those things.

The WAIS are not interested in competition results or taking the kid who is the best now. When they take a kid they don't even care if they have not had any gymnastics experience.

They are looking for potential. Who is the best at 7, is rarely an indication of who will be the best at 17.

The body is the most important thing they look at. They will take a child who is naturally strong, flexible and small for their age. They will look for a natural fast muscle twitch as well as a child who has not individuate ons of problem areas. For example they won't take a child with flat feet as this will cause problems down the track.

They are also looking for a certain spark in their personality a combination of fearlessness, competitiveness and determination. Without all of these aspects the child will struggle in the Priam.

These kids are going to train immense hours, harder than most adult professional athletes. They are going to have to reach the ultimate level of strength, flexibility and skill.

They have no interest in keeping parents and children happy. They are there to create the top gymnasts in the country.

Sorry if I confused you. When we heard 'body shape' policy we (parents and coaches) so confused than u are right now. The subject here is the policy of 'Body Shape'. A gymnast chosen to come for a talent ID was not based at their previous comps whether you got gold or the best overall. It's the body shape WAIS are observing.

Yes, I hear you and I am telling you that this happens a lot in the gymnastics world. We might not think it is fair, or right, but it is very common.

Thanks Aussie_coach

This must be a good early calling sign for us to pursue our dd to do her next best talent. At the moment gym is just a playground. Don't try your best at comps just show how to fall from the beam and bars and dance like a monkey on floor routine. No stress be happy for my child.

I'm still confused why you are making a decision before your child is even evaluated at this gym you hold in such regard. Even if she was turned down after evaluation did you not say there were 2 others that would accept her into the program? Why not choose one of those? Or why not let her stay with her current program if she enjoys what she is doing?

Reactions: sce
Bess I am not making any decisions yet. We have second thougths! Doubts! We never ask her to quit. This policy will hold her and many other competetive kids to develope further. We still have two weeks to decide. Her next interest is to join violin lesson that just did not happen because of long hours training in gym. She still in love with music.

What do you mean by their "body shape" policy and their Talent ID criteria? My DD will be attending the assessment at WAIS in a few weeks and I'm curious to know.

It's just what elite gymnastics is.

Every coach has their likes and dislikes, and preferences in what they like to work with. Some want strength, some want flexibility, others fearlessness, others body type, some want fast twitch, still others want all of that!

If you want your child on the elite track you will need to find a coach who likes her strengths, and feels they can work with her weaknesses. You will never change "policy", because it's not policy, it's coaches preference. They can't choose everyone with talent, they have to narrow it down. If your child is really that talented, there will be a coach somewhere that agrees. It may take effort on your part to find that coach though...

You either need to accept that, or I agree, find another sport.

I think you're reading too much into "body shape" and taking offence without understanding its importance - where IDP is concerned. Also - "body shape" sums up many things the coach possibly didn't think to spell out when she passed the information on to you. Body shape might simply mean "too tall" or heck, even "too small" (for what WAIS is looking for). Even on their website it says they're looking for girls of a given size and shape. As others have said, another "body shape" might be exactly what a different gym is looking for. There are plenty of good gyms in WA, besides WAIS - gyms which will nuture and develop your daughter's talent for the amazing individual she is.

I very much doubt WAIS was intending to insult your daughter's "body shape" - which seems to be how you have taken it? They were just being honest about what they look for in girls they wish to invite into THEIR program. They will have turned down 100's of girls because of their body shape...and for many other reasons besides. They don't do it to insult or offend anyone - they do it because they have the experience to know the typical body type that will suit their training program for high performance gymnastics.

If your daughter is loving her gymnastics, then let her enjoy it - whether or not she makes it into the WAIS program. Surely her enjoyment is the MOST important thing...not whether or not she wins competitions or falls off bars or beam?? Relax and enjoy your daughter's talent - and don't get too hung up on what you hear, second-hand, from someone else!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back