Parents Wanting to get our dd off to a great start. From rec classes to preteam to preteam advanced.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Prentice

Proud Parent
Hi we are in Toronto, Canada. My dd who just turned 6 is new to gymnastics. She started in rec class in the summer, earned a bronze. they allowed her to do a rec class in the summer even tho she was just 5, cuz she was in her 6th yr. After the summer ended we were going to enroll her in a fall rec class but the head coach recommended her to join a preteam (age 5&6 group) within the school's competitive wag program. All the kids in her team are just starting out in gymnastics. Some of them may have done a preschool class or a mummy or me class but that's about it. We agreed to it. After just 3 weeks in the preterm group 5 & 6 yr olds, then the head coach asked my daughter to try out for their 7-8 yr old advanced preteam, saying my daughter has great listening skills, hardworking, a tight body...etc And there are 6 yr old on this team too. My concern is the girls on this new team have been doing gymnastics for 2 yrs, were on a preteam last yr. They know more than her. The coach said she can get my dd to catch up. Does this seem right? Do they select kids without any gymnastics skills/I mean who just started out and the skills are beginner level to a preteam There are pros about my daughter moving to the new team. The girls are more mature, the coach is firm and strict-she's the head coach too, & because its more training hrs & everything else combined-my daughter will learn more at a faster pace. We (my daughter doesnt either) don't mind that the training hrs will go frm 5 hrs to 9hrs in the gym. she loves the sport and wants to try it. She's also very hardworking and energetic. she doesnt tire easily so I know it wont be too many hrs in the gym for her. Would my dd be able to catch up in your opinion? the coach seems optimistic. Realistically tho I think she'll always be behind even if she catches up as those other girls have 2 yrs ahead of her. Is this ok. Is it ok for 1 girl on a team to be behind. What are the cons in this? I'm afraid if i move here and then later it is determined she is not a good fit for the team or maybe she doesnt like the schedule , there wont be a spot left in the old team. Also the teamshe might move to is striving for provincials one day. While the old team was more for interclub. Apparently you train slower for interclub, is this correct? I am sorry i didnt make this shorter and i may have not used the correct terms. Still learn the language of gymnastics and how the competitive program works. I just want to make sure we get our daughter off to a great start in the sport.

Thanks, ur comment makes sense! They mentioned conditioning her body , after that skills are fast to pick up. Something along these lines.

Are all the girls on a gymnastic team or on a preteam the same or similar in skills or sometimes are their kids on the same team who are behind or ahead. What are the cons if there are kids on a team that are a little behind. I do believe my daughter can catch up but it will take time as she just started out. Tonight is try out #2 for the team ...she did well on her first try out. If it all goes well tonight again too they'll want her to join for sure. The coach has already talked to me about it.

I always thought you are invited to a preteam after you've been doing gymanastics for some time either in a rec class or a preschool program etc. Or is is common also to "recruit" newbies if the coach sees potential?

There are no two girls on any team that have the exact same skills at the exact same level. In my DD's training group we have girls doing double backs and girls just starting to twist. Some are doing release moves and some just learning blinds. So much variation in the group. A good coach doesn't need all their gymnasts doing the same thing. Don't sweat it! Give it a whirl.

There are no two girls on any team that have the exact same skills at the exact same level. In my DD's training group we have girls doing double backs and girls just starting to twist. Some are doing release moves and some just learning blinds. So much variation in the group. A good coach doesn't need all their gymnasts doing the same thing. Don't sweat it! Give it a whirl.

Ok thanks for your input! I know nothing about gymnastic preteams and teams. I have a lot to learn. Thank you ! So glad to have found this group/forum!

Anyways lets see what happens. Hope she does well tonight too. A pro of moving to this advanced preteam is that she'll learn more at a faster pace because of more training hrs and this coach is a good coach. She has a great reputation in the club. There is just so much to learn in gymnastics so she'd be better off in the new team. And she enjoyed her experience trying out the first time and wants to go back to this team . Coach is strict and firm which is great in my opinion.

We are part of the Canadian system as well, and my 6 year old DD is doing 9 hours a week pre-team. Like your DD, my DD was asked to join the 6 hour pre-team mid-season last year with a couple of other girls. I was also concerned about joining a team mid-year but all the "new" girls did just fine and have all moved up in hours this season. It's important to remember, at least in our case, at this age they are focusing on strength, flexibility and conditioning, not so much skills, so your DD will be just fine. It may take a bit of time for her to build up her strength or conditioning since the other girls have been doing it longer, but she will get there. As others have said, they would not have recommended your daughter if they didn't feel she could handle it.

It's quite common for kids to get invited to pre-team without any real skills. Good coaches can spot potential through strength, flexibility, etc. Like cbifoja said, kids progress at different rates. One child may pick up a bunch of skills over a period of a few months, while another may stall. The next few months, those same kids may do the opposite. It's nothing to worry about. Throughout a gymnast's career, they are going to have kids in their training group who are struggling and those who are repeating a level and doing really well. That's the nature of the sport.

Thank you all - very good of you all to respond. thanks for answering my qs. I'm less confused and you all made sense! The good news is she did well on her try outs and she was accepted. And we agreed to moving her to this new advanced pre-team. It's in her best interest for sure to join the advanced group rather than stay with the preteam she is with now. It's 9 hrs a week the training if we wish, or we can do a 6 hrs a week...we are leaning on letting her do the 9 hrs a week cuz she is keen on it and she'll be better off doing more training hrs than less, as long as she likes it and can handle it , she will be better off. Only thing with 9 hr a week of training she wont be able to engage in another activity other than her swim lessons. Deep down I'm not ok with it but she is ok with it so I have to trust her. And I know with any competitive program the hrs of training you put in matters and if I want her to do well in the sport, she needs to focus on gymnastics and train hard. Esp since it is about strength and balance and flexibility andconditioning the body right now. As a beginner she could really benefit frm more training hrs. Anyways thats what i am thinking. Thanks all again for your feedback.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back