warming up at meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

J

jitta_bug123

kind of a random question but,

1.how long does your general warmup last for at meets?
2. do you warmup, and then compete on each apparatus, or warm up all apparatus, before the meet, then compete?
3. do you do a canadian warmup on beam? ( ie first 2 gymnasts warm up, then the first one competes, another gymnast warms up then the second gymnast to warm up competes, another gymnast warms up then the third gymnast to warm up competes, and so on)
4. do you have podium training to get used to the gym before you compete there?, (this ones mainly aimed at higher level gymnasts) if so what level are you?
5. How long a warm up do you get on each apparatus, ie one touch, 30 seconds etc.
6. did the warm up change, as you changed levels, what level are you now?

thanks to anyone who answers this, kind of random but i was just wondering
:)

I'm actually quite interested in the answers to this because I'd like to see how it varies from country to country. I live in Australia (obviously)

1. General warp up is 20 minutes

2. In most cases we do warm up then compete. ie the kids go to bars and they all warm up their bars and then they all compete bars and so on.

3. Yes we do canadian warm up on beam but we don't call it that. We call it american warm up. I've always wondered why it was called american warm up, I figured it was how you did all warm ups in america.

4. We do podium training for larger competitions like states, nationals, state clubs and national clubs. So this would be for levels 4-10.

5. Warm up on each apparatus varies a little from competition to competition. Vault is usually 2 warm up vaults each. Bars is usually 1 touch. beam usually 1 minute each and floor 1 minute per person in the group with about 5 kids warming up at a time for 5 minutes.

6. The only change in the warm ups is really the length. Levels 1 and 2 may only get about 30 seconds on beam, 3 and 4 45 seconds, 5 and 6 1 minute and so on.

im from canada

1. our general warm up is usually 20 mins for most levels and 30 for the higher levels.
2. we usually have general warm up and then warm up on each event then compete
3. we do the "canadian" warm up but ive never heard it called that. usually we do that but with 3 athletes to warm up first
4. the only levels ive seen do this is the senior girls when they go to large competitionslike the gymnix or elite canada.
5. the provincial levels 1-3 usually get 1:30 mins and the provincial levels 4,5 and higher get 2 mins
6. my warm up has stayed pretty much the same but a bit extra time as i got to higher levels. Im provincial level 4 trying 5 soon (about level 8 or 9 in USAG)

haha we call it an american warm up too! We usually only see it on beam. sometimes on bars.

there is often a general warm up of about an hour going round the 4 pieces. Then usually just a quick warm up of a few minutes for each small group. If there are about 8 in the group they have a split touch warm up ie 4 have quick warm up and then those 4 compete then the next 4. The more pushy kids or coaches end up with more time which always seems abit unfair.

The canadian/american warm up thing is funny. I have heard it called 'Michigan touch' (when on beam). I am in CT.:)

I'm from America, and I've never even heard of the American or Canadian or Michigan warm up.

In the compulsory levels, we have an open stretch/warm up for 15 - 20 minutes and then warm up on our 1st event. Then we compete that event. We do 1 minute per person on beam (we all go at the same time, taking turns if necessary), 1 minute (I think) per person on bars (we go in a group and take turns), a set time (I dunno what it is) per person on floor (in a group), and I don't know if we have a time limit on vault, but everyone usually does 3 vaults - 2 at a minimum.

I don't know anything about podium training or what the optionals do. I've seen the L7's and they do it similarly with the time and rotations and stuff.

I don't do USAG but another type of competition.
2. We stretch and then warmup before each event.
3. We usually have 2 beams and we warm up with the first person goes to the second not competition beam and then they warm up on the competition beam while the second gymnast warms up on the not competition beam and then it kindof goes in a circle.
4.No
5. We have 5 warm-up vaults. 1 minute and 30 seconds long for beam. One minute per person on team for bars. And then for floor I don't exactly know.
6. The warm-up has not changed as I have moved up levels.

no higher level/ optional gymnasts ever answered my question. Im still wondering, especially 8/9/10 usag meets, or any higher level comps. please answer :) Heres my answers to my own question. Im Australian nat. 7.
1. General warmup last 20 mins
2.we warm up an event, and then compete that event.
4.I think we might do podium training at major events like national clubs. Not sure though haven't competed there yet.
5. bars 1 touch, beam 1min, floor any where between 2-10 mins, 2 vaults.
6. since level 1 the warm up has not really changed.

I'm pretty sure we have podium training for National Clubs because my club had a team go down and they were talking about the training.
I've been to some competitions where we warmed up all 4 apparatus quickly and then competed all 4 instead of warmup and compete in the same rotation.
Also, when it came to competing we got a quick warmup before our competition.

1.how long does your general warmup last for at meets?
20-30 minutes, usually 30.

2. do you warmup, and then compete on each apparatus, or warm up all apparatus, before the meet, then compete?
At most meets, we warm up and compete on each apparatus (modified capital cup or capital cup). Some meets still do the traditional format with warming up all events and competing (with a 30 second touch).

3. do you do a canadian warmup on beam? ( ie first 2 gymnasts warm up, then the first one competes, another gymnast warms up then the second gymnast to warm up competes, another gymnast warms up then the third gymnast to warm up competes, and so on)
Most people in my state and region call this a bump touch-- but I've only used it for the 30 second touch. It really depends on the meet and how the meet is set up. The upper levels (8-10) in USAG get a 2 minute warm-up per person per event. We usually warm up with the entire rotation or only with our club (you can warm up individually, but that's unusual). If the entire rotation warms up together, a lot of upper levels get an extra coach with a stopwatch who calls out 30 second blocks (i.e. each gymnast gets 4 30 second turns on the beam).

4. do you have podium training to get used to the gym before you compete there?, (this ones mainly aimed at higher level gymnasts) if so what level are you?
I've only heard of this at Easterns/Westerns (highest competition for L9) and JO Nationals (L10). We also do this at Nationals in college club.

5. How long a warm up do you get on each apparatus, ie one touch, 30 seconds etc.
For L8-10, 2 minutes per event. If we warm up all events and then compete, then you get 2 minutes per event plus a 30 second touch.

6. did the warm up change, as you changed levels, what level are you now?
It's more common for compulsories to warm up all events and then compete all events. I compete L9.

In the compulsory levels, we have an open stretch/warm up for 15 - 20 minutes and then warm up on our 1st event. Then we compete that event. We do 1 minute per person on beam (we all go at the same time, taking turns if necessary), 1 minute (I think) per person on bars (we go in a group and take turns), a set time (I dunno what it is) per person on floor (in a group), and I don't know if we have a time limit on vault, but everyone usually does 3 vaults - 2 at a minimum.

I second what Mack said. They are pretty much like this in Indiana too, but a lot of them are split into 2 flights, if it's a bigger meet with 2 sets of equipment. Then one flight competes while the other flight is warming up. Although occasionally there is a meet where you warm up all 4 events and then compete all 4 events. I really hate those though. One minute of warm-up time per person.

Funny, here in Quebec we call that style of warm up capital cup. In the regional level this is the only way we do things, in the provincials stream there is always two sets of equip,emet and therefore we do a full warm up and then compete.

I find the capital cup requites a lot more focus for parents as we really have to keep an eye on what is going on. I love the provincial system much more as I hate watching warm ups.

In America, the general warm up is about 20 min.. on floor stretching and some tumbling. On each event except beam... 2 min warm up or soo so go as fast as you can! On beam it is one gymnast warms up, then competets... in betwen a gymnast warms up.. so so on

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back