Parents Warning: pre-team rant/vent inside. Communication fail.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm glad to hear that you got to the bottom of things and I respect that you kept a level head. You may find that if they aren't going to be responsive to your concerns, she'll need to make the move. But at least you approached the matter calmly. Good model for your daughter to observe. Great job!

Ok you said it yourself in your follow up that you will probably end up at the new gym at some point in time. So what are you waiting for? Your current gym and its owner really doesn't want to hear your concerns with the exception of one great mom that works there. And as for the excuses you were given as to why your DD was overlooked during her crying - totally unaceptable!! They all knew she was there for camp so Didn't anyone think to go look for her when the team practice started and she was no where in sight?? I don't care she was in a corner where the front desk couldn't see her some coach some where must have realized she wasn't at the practice but was at camp. Someone should have gone to look for her.

I don't mean for this to sound harsh but how much more are you going to put yourself and your DD through before you make the move. Just let the new gym know that if you go there she will never be on time as the earliest you can get her there is _______ (what ever that time is). You will do your best to get her there as early as you can and then go from there. As far as competing goes you will be surprised how quickly she can learn what she needs when she is in the right setting.

We made the move from our old gym last summer and the difference in how my DD now performs and tries is like night and day. I wish I had made the mover so much sooner. It is a bit longer drive to get there but the fit for my DD is so much better!!

If you know at some point in the future you will probably end up there then take a deep breath and make the move now.

I have to agree with Cher. I think you were given the royal run around about what may have happened the other day. You should not have to rely on a parent working the front desk to make sure your dd is ok. Many times that person can get quite busy and from the way you describe dd's behavior, I doubt she would stand there for long waiting for this mom to help her. Also she should not be in tears to feel it was alright to go get some help.
Since you really feel that you'll be at the other gym sooner or later then make it sooner. This may be the enviornment your dd needs for a few years. Is it a certainty she'll compete on their L3 team this year--no. Is it a certainty she'll make the L4 team at current gym---no. You've had other issues at this gym and now its time to pack it in and move along. You said it was obvious the owner didn't even want to talk to you for a minute---that should speak volumes.

I agree with cher and gymlawmom. Our old gym had a wonderful parent whom I liked very much working the front desk but she defended the gym and sugar coated problems like she was being paid to do. I'm not satisfied with the story you were told either. I'm pretty sure there will be another incident that pushes you closer to making the move in short time. Just do it.

Thanks, again.

Well, I have two big hesitations to leaving. One is distance. Again, I don't mind the actual drive at all - to be honest it would be nice for DD to have that downtime and would allow me to unwind a bit. The problem is she'd consistently be 15-20 minutes late to every single 2-hour practice. I think that's sort of big, though I explained it to the new gym and she said she'd be ok with it. Should DD get her skills and learn the routines to compete L3 there (again, fine with me either way there - March is the last meet of the year there so she'd have some time), and she moves up to L4, their other gym is yet another 15 minutes further just in time for school next year.

When I say I know we'll move eventually, I know we'll move when we maybe have flexibility in her school schedule, or earlier release (thinking middle school - a ways off - and that's if she continues as a gymnast of course). I am also DD's girl scout leader, and we'd scheduled the meetings around gym, and at the new gym she'd need to leave class early then once per month, while also missing the one-hour dance component once per month that the girls will stay late for.

Also, I am taking into consideration DD's anxiety. Take away that one day, and DD has been extremely comfortable there all summer. She has been ready to go to every class, no tummy ache complaints and none of the headaches we handled Jan-May. I am scared that moving her will cause a "relapse". Her neuro thinks her headaches are triggered by stress. She takes a very long time to feel comfortable in a new situation. And I mean months-years.

There is one other gym I could have DD test at that is closer to home and a more doable drive - more like a 15 minute drive rather than 30-40. But, as we have a family member competing for that gym, I'd like to be 100% we're ready to make a move there before actually testing. Also, they don't ever compete with our current gym, so it's hard to know how "good" they are - though my (much younger) cousin won state as a 12 year old L3, so there's that. They're also quite a bit more pricey - no prohibitively so, but it's a consideration. BUT - they also have a TOPS option, which to be honest, might be more up my DD's alley. She (insanely) loves the conditioning. At least for now. :)

I am trying my best to reason with myself that this is the "last chance" for the gym - though no decision has yet been made either way (stay vs. go). I still feel completely torn. I am going to try to approach DD's coach today and see what happens there. I do get frustrated with their holier than thou mentality. Though every time I have spoken to a team person that ISN'T DD's actual coach, they've been quite reasonable and fair. I can do fair. DD should NOT have been left there. They were in the wrong 100% - DD is a minor and was within their care. It was wrong and they are very lucky she is just fine. I am still angry over it. But I am also using it as a learning experience for DD that she needs to attempt to approach adults, etc, even if she doesn't "talk" per se. This could have theoretically happened anywhere - I am glad it was somewhere air conditioned, with seats, food and water. DD was upset, but after overhearing DH and I talk, she begged me not to make her switch gyms. So heartbreaking. She has a gym BFF there, us moms carpool, DS loves his (rec)coaches and loves it there, too. Does this erase all of the "good"? I still can't decide. So I guess my next move it to see what coach says later...

P.S. DD's coach will also be the head coach for L4 next year should she stay. So, I am being aware that we'll need to deal with the "customer service" we're receiving from her for awhile. At least 16 months, if she makes L4 and passes first try! That was our first and only gripe with the gym, this spring. :frustrated:

Last edited:
Well, since you put it that way... actually, I have always capitulated to dd's opinion/desire to stay even when I knew a move would be better. We've only moved once, several years after I knew it needed to happen.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back