Parents WCC Summer Camp

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

nycgymmom

Coach
Proud Parent
Anyone not from Texas going to this summer camp or has been? We signed up and was just trying to get the logistics down.

Anyone not from Texas going to this summer camp or has been? We signed up and was just trying to get the logistics down.
I am from TX but may help a little.
Fly into Intercontinental [IAH] as it is about 15 minutes from the gym which is on the north side of Houston. Hobby [HOU], the other Houston airport, is on the south side of town which is about 1.25 to 1.5 hours from the gym.
There about 10 Hotels within 10- 15 minutes and two large malls within 15 minutes of the gym for the mom. Also a Water Park about 10 minutes from the gym. They took the girls there the last afternoon of the camp.
The Camp is very good. Went last year, a lot of hard work for the girls in the optional levels but in a light hearted way, They had a bunch of guest coaches that are highly regarded in coaching circles.
Don't know what they have planned for this year but should be about the same.

I am from TX but may help a little.
Fly into Intercontinental [IAH] as it is about 15 minutes from the gym which is on the north side of Houston. Hobby [HOU], the other Houston airport, is on the south side of town which is about 1.25 to 1.5 hours from the gym.
There about 10 Hotels within 10- 15 minutes and two large malls within 15 minutes of the gym for the mom. Also a Water Park about 10 minutes from the gym. They took the girls there the last afternoon of the camp.
The Camp is very good. Went last year, a lot of hard work for the girls in the optional levels but in a light hearted way, They had a bunch of guest coaches that are highly regarded in coaching circles.
Don't know what they have planned for this year but should be about the same.
Thx for all the tips! Do they actually train? Only asking cuz sent my daughter to IGC camp and they didn't really learn much jmo.

I wonder if gymnastics summer camp is actually a place to learn skills? My Daughter goes but I send her with the idea that she will learn life lessons, like that she can survive without a parent or that she has the ability to take care of herself. Gymnastics theme of the camp just improves chances of her having things in common with other campers making the experience more enjoyable. Staying home and working hard with her coaches for that same week would surely yield more results. Camp is for a break and for fun at best she may hear a correction in a new way that advances a skill or two.

Do others feel that a week of camp can lead to skill acquisition, very interested to hear some thoughts.

For others reading this thread -- my son has gotten a lot out of IGC (shout out here to Josh Dixon in particular). Some of what they get out of it depends on the extent to which they choose recreation/traditional summer camp activities versus more gym time.

As a general rule, you shouldn't expect a kid to come back from ANY camp, no matter how serious, with a bunch of new skills. They're usually just there for a week, though it's sometimes very helpful for them to be doing some different drills and to be hearing the same old corrections their coaches are always giving them from a different person. :p

(ETA: Lol, John, I posted a second after you did.)

@profmom My DD goes to IGC as well. Week 4 this year. I think hearing things from another point of view is what she gains.

She told me something funny last night on the way home from the gym. I will share it as I would love to hear others opinions.

Her current coaches are Bulgarian. She told me that for her first few months at gym she was not really sure what they were saying to her. I asked her how she made so much progress, she could not elaborate. We laughed, me her and her bestie, they were extremely happy after practice last night. Her teammate took the opportunity to agree and said she felt the same when she began at the gym. They have now developed an understanding of the accent. They even know basic Bulgarian words. My thought is could the progress she made in those first few months be attributed to expectations and conditioning alone?

@profmom My DD goes to IGC as well. Week 4 this year. I think hearing things from another point of view is what she gains.

She told me something funny last night on the way home from the gym. I will share it as I would love to hear others opinions.

Her current coaches are Bulgarian. She told me that for her first few months at gym she was not really sure what they were saying to her. I asked her how she made so much progress, she could not elaborate. We laughed, me her and her bestie, they were extremely happy after practice last night. Her teammate took the opportunity to agree and said she felt the same when she began at the gym. They have now developed an understanding of the accent. They even know basic Bulgarian words. My thought is could the progress she made in those first few months be attributed to expectations and conditioning alone?
This is funny.
Our coach is french and has a habit for fussing at them in french when they mess up. They memorized what he was saying and used goggle to find out it was and now they say it when they mess up.

I don't expect one week of summer camp to make or break my daughter but when she went to IGC she didn't spent as much time as she wanted on doing gymnastics which for her is what she wanted. My choice to send her to a place that focuses more on training versus summer camp experience works for my kid

It seems weird. DD told me when at IGC they did gym from 9-3 then recreation. Then campers are offered additional gym time or camp activities after dinner. I worry DD will be persuaded by friends and teammates wants and not follow her own desires.

Maybe it works differently for boys than girls?? I don't know. I know everyone does the 9-3 thing, but my son always had the option of doing the extra gym before dinner and almost always chose that. He didn't go last year, but the year before last, he got a lot of encouragement to work on some new skills on pbars and to do new rings dismounts into the pit. He also trained a different vault entry. (And presumably a lot of other stuff happened that he didn't remember to tell me.) The pbar stuff wound up paying off for him -- he had never really worked moy to support, but made enough progress with it that it went into his routine and actually got upgraded to Tippelt this last season.

What I am hoping this summer is that he can talk to some of the folks there about routine construction. Just get some additional feedback and ideas.

Thx for all the tips! Do they actually train? Only asking cuz sent my daughter to IGC camp and they didn't really learn much jmo.
Doesn’t mean they didn’t train. How much new gymnastics do you really think anyone will learn in 1 week. Camp ya about having fun doing there sport in a different environment.

I don't expect one week of summer camp to make or break my daughter but when she went to IGC she didn't spent as much time as she wanted on doing gymnastics which for her is what she wanted. My choice to send her to a place that focuses more on training versus summer camp experience works for my kid
You should research gymnastics camps. Lots of them train for many hours a day. I know Woodward West has 3 training sessions a day.

Also, 6 hours is already a lot of hours in one day so not sure how much more you are expecting from another camp.

I am just looking for gym that will work best with my daughter's personality and desires. She personally didn't like it and I have known others to be feel the same.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back