Parents We are bidding farewell with gymnastics:( And Hello Competitive Cheerleading

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Both girls quit gymnastics after Emily even got her tsuk on vault:( Anyway, We started competitive cheerleading about 2 weeks ago with Elite Cheer in Omaha. Emily is going to start as a level 3 jr. national cheer due to not having stunting experience but good news is maybe shoes was the key to back tumbling issues because it seems the block has improved a ton and she rarely doesn't connect it. Emily will get to compete in Indianapolis and Myrtle beach and Orlando along with other competitions closer to home.
Madi is competing regional Level 2 cheer.
As far as I go:( I am sad to say goodbye to gymnastics but so far the parents and life at cheer is fun:) I am enjoying it. I will just miss watching bars and seeing them compete individually. Emily wants to still do competitive dance too but we will have to find a new team and she wants to do solos so I will see her that way:)

Awww sorry to see you go. But stay here on the forum, I'd love to hear about their cheer journey! I stopped doing gym after freshman year and competing HS and L 10 to do varsity HS cheer for two seasons. It's fun but a diff world. I chose to go back to gym myself, but even if your girls don't, good luck and have fun!

Hey Mel, Guess what I am cheer mom too. Youngest walked away from gym in Spring and tried out for a cheer team an hour away. Of course she made the team. SHe will either do level 2 or 3 depending on the number of girls they have.

Glad the girls are finding an outlet for their energy and aren't just chilling on the sofa!

Is Austin still swimming?

Yea Bog:) Awesome on being a new cheer mom too.
Yes Austin is still swimming and he has d2s this weekend and hoping he gets a d1 time to compete d1 the following weekend.
Austin just aged up to 13/14 and all the times dropped like rocks... Of course Austin has yet to hit puberty so we are tiny compared to the kids in age group who have...
cheer costs... OMG.... WE came in late for some of the due dates that they spread out so we had to fork out 2300 dollars for stuff right away... yikes....

Have missed your posts. Sad times leaving the gym, but sounds like the girls have jumped headfirst(forgive the pun) into cheer!! Don't be a stranger around here. We look forward to updates!

Gosh Mel, cheer is cheap here. They train five hours a week, I think I paid $550 for Sept-June. The Uniform, bag and shoes etc will be about $300.

SO glad Austin is still swimming, he was always great to watch. Is he really that old?? Argh, that means we are old too!

Lovely to hear from you as always.

Hey stranger,

I have wondered where you have been! It sounds like you've made lots of changes, but also sounds like the girls are happy. Maybe walking away and trying something else will give them a burst of enthusiasm. Nobody says once the door is closed they can't go back either to the gym, but at least they are still loving that competative scene. And how awesome they get to YELL and still tumble too! FWIW my 13 yr old has not been visited yet by the puberty fairy and I think my DD (10) will bypass him soon. He is on an 12U baseball teams and been up against some other 12U teams where the boys have facial hair on their lips and can rest their elbows on his head! Keep us posted on how the cheer goes!

Hi there. I'm in Omaha too! I know several girls that go to Elite and are on their traveling squad. They go to my dd's school and one of their mom's is a coach there. Elite is really good and has a good reputation around here.

If you don't mind me asking, what gym did you go to?

Good luck to your girls with cheer!

Good luck on the Cheer journey ;). Hope that the girls have a blast and I'm so glad that Emily is already making progress with the back tumbling issue (maybe she was just feeling too much pressure/not enjoying the gymnastics side anymore) - either way, it's great that she is back tumbling again!!! Woohoo!!!

sounds like you will be a very busy woman - cheer/dance/swim ..... you're life will be too busy to miss gymnastics too much lol. Keep in touch here, I look forward to hearing how the cheer goes :)

good luck and hope you stick around...just so you can tell us how exhausting cheer parents can be.:)

Ahhh...moving on to greener pastures (ha ha get it, GREENer pastures...as in CASH?)
I had tiny DD in cheer for a couple months and after figuring out just how much it was going to cost decided to get the heck out of there since she is only 4. If she still wants to do it when she is older and more capable of decisions...we will look back in to it. I learned a little about cheer and they really do some amazing stuff and some of the girls are just crazy about it! I know you will miss the gym but also know there is a lot to get involved with in cheer too.
Including crazy cheer mom drama. ;)
Hope you stick around!

Aww. Kinda sad Im sure, but still wonderful. Glad they found something else they really enjoy and seem to be doing really well at. Please do stick around and keep us all posted on your DDs, and on you DS as well.

Sorry to see you go but glad the girls found another passion. Seems a natural fit, several gymmies from DD's gym have done the same thing and are really enjoying it. Best to all your children, sounds like you are very busy taxi mom lol. Enjoy summer :)

Good luck with cheer! If you have any questions about, well, anything, feel free to PM me. I coached and judged all-star cheer for several years, and actually will be coaching again starting in November. Its a great sport, lots of room for growth, new friends, and new experiences.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back