Off Topic We FINALLY got our Dining Room and Kitchen floors done!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SO, we bought our house in 2007. We wanted to redo the floor in our kitchen / dining / laundry room from the very beginning.
You probably would have too if you had a "lovely" green carpet everywhere. 20210208_102205.jpg
The duct tape was to cover where the carpet was torn.
We got it done this week.
On Wednesday, our almost 14 year old wiener dog had 9 teeth extracted and had a cyst removed from the back of her head. We have to keep the stitches covered or one of the other dogs will be constantly licking at them.
On Thursday, they had the floors ready to start laying the new floors, so they put the glue down and waited for it to dry. I HAD the doorway blocked off, but they needed their fan that was part of the barrier. I forgot that slight issue when I went back to tutoring.
The contractor took a video, lol.
Enjoy the laugh!

That's awesome! It always feels great to get a project finished. Looks great!

That's awesome! It always feels great to get a project finished. Looks great!
We knew the house needed A LOT of work when we bought it.
So far we have:
- Replaced all 3 exterior doors. The front door had a gap at the bottom big enough to let snow come in ... and we couldn't easily use it without risking cutting a hand open on the knob. The kitchen door would "stick" whenever it got humid or too much rain ... and there was a hole along the framing that once let a garter snake in ... green snake on a green carpet ... did I mention I HATE snakes??? The "dog door" was torn up by the previous owner's dog. Terrible scratches on the exterior of the door so deep they couldn't be sanded out.
- Replaced the roof after hail damage (Home insurance).
- Replaced carpet in the living room and office with wood look click together flooring.
- Replaced 4 windows with 3 windows (The 2 windows in the back of first picture replaced a picture window and 2 casement windows). THAT contractor still hasn't done the FINISH work on it or the window over our kitchen sink that he also replaced.
- Replaced the carpet in my bedroom with waterproof vinyl wood look click together planks.
- Replaced the bathroom floor and toilet (one of our 7lb cats broke the toilet THE DAY they were coming to do the flooring). The contractor that did that replacement was the same one that replaced my bedroom floor. They wanted to put the exact same flooring in the bathroom. We didn't want wood-look in the bathroom, so I had my brother go buy the same TYPE of flooring, but in a stone look for them to install. They SUCKED. SO many issues. Luckily, the kitchen floor contractor had to remove the transition strip to do the floor to the doorway. The first row popped up and part of the 2nd row popped up too. He saw stains and investigated. I LOVE this contractor. I had enough tile that they redid the bathroom floor too. They fixed the rotting issues in the less than 2 year old subfloor (the first contractor never SEALED anything). Found out that the toilet had been leaking from day 1 ... just UNDER the floor so we didn't see it. They didn't put down any sort of waterproofing membrane ... and they even put down shoe moulding along the edge of the bathtub ... instead of SEALING the edge with a sealant to keep water from getting under the floor. So now, our bathroom, laundry, coat closet, kitchen, and dining room all flow with NO transitions.
- Replaced the washer (x4), dryer (x3), oven (x2), refrigerator (x2), deep freezer, and hot water heater. For most of that, SOOOOO thankful for my home warranty.
-Had the driveway regraded and expanded ... 2 days before the last big snowstorm hit.

We are redoing the stairs and kitchen counters next.
We still have 3 - 4 more floors to redo (upstairs). I say 3-4 because I don't know if my sister counts her tiny bathroom as a separate floor from her bedroom since CURRENTLY, they have the same carpet throughout both, lol. TECHNICALLY, she needs to have a whole bathroom renovation.
We also need to re-side the house ... but are waiting for another hail storm (hoping home insurance will cover it) and replace the rest of the windows in our 120+ year old house.
After that, get rid of fake paneling and replace interior doors and we will be done!

great, congratulations and is good step by step maybe slow but at a sure pace . a 120 years old house needs a lot job but it feels great when something is made and the results are wonderful .

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back