We need prayers

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymbabisMom

Parent/Coach
I'm sure I am posting this in the wrong place.

Our head coach is very ill, in the hospital. This was very unexpected, though she has been under a ton of stress lately. If those of you who pray can add her to your prayers, every little voice helps. We are so worried......

We will keep her in our prayers and please keep us updated on her status.

Our thoughts are with you.:(

I am going to pour this out because I am so frustrated. My friend, my daughters coach, went into the hospital Monday with suspected food poisoning. It turned out that she had a ruptured brain aneurysm. They took her in for surgery the next day she was still talking and seemed normal (from what I heard) right up to surgery time. They were apparently able to rouse her following the surgery, but she hasn't been awake at all since. She was away from home visiting family when it happened and now the family is telling us we must keep this a secret, that we may send no flowers, cards or letters. That we may not come and see her and we may not call them for information. Basically it feels like a big "butt out".
It can't be kept a secret, it was all over the gym before we in the office were even told what was going on .It's a very small town. People keep asking what's going on and we don't know what to tell them. We don't even know if the gym will be open, cause she owns it. All we can do is pray.
I'm not supposed to be telling this stuff per the families wishes, but since no one here knows who I am talking about I figured it was safe to vent here. Besides I figure the more prayers on her behalf the better

Before we go any further with this, I want to say something:

I understand your frustration (and to be honest, I fully agree -- it does seem like a very strange request), but I am not sure you should be posting about all this in a public forum if the family has asked you to keep it private.

All that said, I will be keeping that coach in my thoughts, and wishing you, your kids, and your gym the best of luck in getting through this.

Last edited:
Families have requests that cannot be understood sometimes. I would respect their wishes.

This is a very tough situation.:(

I know, but sometimes you have to vent. Yesterday was a weepy day and it helps me to get it out of my system. We are just so desperate to have her know that we care about her too.

gymbabismom, I am sure your kind thoughts and prayers will be cherished by the family at an easier time...We will also pray for her and the family.... I hope that your daughter is doing okay as well.

I'm sure there is a reason for the families request, but on the other side of that when children have grown up with this coach (owner) she has become part of your family and many others as well. Coaches who truly enjoy their job and love teaching embrace their students and families, other people who work in different fields do not always understand this, and may think that this is a personal situation and should be kept away from work. I'm sure you will get more information as things progress- just keep praying and stay positive.

Of course I will keep her in my thoughts as well!! I really hope she can recover from this. It sure is a very serious thing to happen...
For her family it must be extremely hard to deal with. In such situations most of the time you need time to be on your own - you kind of feel like standing next to yourself. I guess this might have taken to their wish for it to not being talked about. Possibly combined with the fact, that in a small town things go around very fast. Maybe they also don`t want wrong information to go around and try to have some control.
However, I can well understand you needed a place to talk about it. It`s not good to keep things only to yourself that worry you. I think as long as this stays anonymous and no names are being said it`s ok...

Her brother came to the gym the on tuesday. I guess it's okay to talk about it now, since a letter is going out to all the gym customers. She's not going to make it. It's so awful, last time we saw her she was herself, so full of life. Now we are losing our friend and our children are losing their coach and probably their gym too. I'm going to miss her so much, even before we came to train with her she was always there, she judged at most of the meets my daughter competed in for 2 years. She was a great friend.

Our thoughts are with you. I don't know what to say...I can't imagine how hard this must be for the whole community and the gymnasts (and her family, of course).

Last edited:
OMG I`m so sorry to read this! :( It`s so sad when you see something like this happen - it feels so unreal, doesn`t it?
I really wish news would have been different...

I am so sorry to hear that. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all in this difficult time.

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear of this. That must be so hard, especially if you have known her for all that time. I hope you are okay. I will keep you all in prayer for sure.

How is your daugther dealing with it? Is she all right.

Keep us up to date about this, if you can.

Shelley passed away last Friday. It's okay to talk about it since there is even a posting on the NorCal website about it. We are all very sad, but relieved that she is past all suffering now. Her girls are pretty devastated, my dd included. Thank you all for your prayers and sympathy.

I am so very sorry, I know the last couple of months have been difficult... your family will be in our prayers.... has gymbabi decided to continue with her training?

Just in case anyone would like to know what we loved about her so much.
http://www.norcal-gymnastics.org/Memorials/shelley.html

Gymbabi has decided to continue training at Shelleys gym with one of her compulsory coaches. She very nearly quit, which would have been heartbreaking, and definitely not what her coach would have wanted, but she just didn't have the heart to return to her former gym and start over, since the training methods differed so much. The coach she will be training with generously was willing to add her to her current level 6 and 7 group. The 3 other optionals have moved to a new gym that is closer to home for most of them. We know they will do well there.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back