Wearing Briefs under leotard

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay my question is what are the rules with briefs and competitions? If she show do you get a deduction? My daughter's leo is a child extra small but the gym said gk doesn't make child extra small briefs. Child small briefs don't fit and they are baggy. Do you have to wear briefs? This is our first year competing so give me all of your opinions please.. what do you do to keep from getting weggies?

My dd is 10 and has competed for 3 years and she has never worn briefs. I know some gyms like their real little ones to because of accidents!:eek:

You don't have to wear briefs, some kids don't feel comfortable wearing them until they're older and their bodies are changing. Some kids see leotards to simply be just like swim suits. I can't remember if there is a deduction or not for them showing, their might be one, but i wouldn't think that it would be enforced unless the judge was in a nit-picky mood.

I can't think of any of the compulsory girls we knew ever wearing briefs. Mine certainly doesn't and never asked about it. It may just come down to a personal preference. I don't think there is a fool proof way to eliminate wedgies. If the leo is getting too small then you need to get one the next size up.

There is a deduction for something showing that is not either skin colored or matches the leotard. So if there leo is a dark color and white underwear or briefs show there is a deduction and I'm not sure how much it is. The best bet with as young as she is, is to not wear anything, if she is getting wedgies I would ask if she can try the next size up.

gym_mom2one, as someone stated, there is a deduction if briefs/undies show in comp.... many choose just not to wear them. My preference for my dd is to wear briefs/undies and she is also in GK xsml... I have purchased great bikini undies from Limited Too & even greater form Target (these are my faves for practice), for comp if you choose to go with a panty, I would rec the L2 undies, because they are tinny, but still do a great job - and still offer more protection - they fit my dd very well, even though is also a little one. nic

This falls under the attire section "No underwear or sports bras should show, no bike shorts or ankle length socks." " A warning will be issued to the coach of the gymnast for incorrect attire. If the gymnast fails to respond to the warning, she will lose 0.20 off her average score."

Thanks for all of your advise. I think I'd rather not use briefs than recieve the deduction. Since she is only 6 I don't think it will be an issue.

in competition you can were briefs but if the judges see them they can deduct marks. Some other possibiltys i've heard of are sewing the garmets to the suit as to stop from popping out or simply don't were them the suits usally have a patch of stuff down there anyway.

Michelle

In our gym, we HAVE to wear them. We weren't for a while, then the coach told us that it was really gross and it was 100% nessacery to wear 'em. If you have to, all you have to do is go to Walmart, Kmart, Target, etc. and get a few pairs that are either the color of the leotard or your skin tone. As for the wedgie deal, there's certain spray-ons you can use. Check sites like 10.0 and you'll find it (don't use it if you have a velvet leo though, it pulls the threads off. I found that out the hard way.).

Hope I helped! :)

In our gym, we HAVE to wear them. We weren't for a while, then the coach told us that it was really gross and it was 100% nessacery to wear 'em.

Ask your coach if he/she wears underwear when swimming.... :p

I really don't understand why it is gross... doesn't make much sence to me but what ever.. I hate seeing the little ones with their undies all bunched up. My daughter's coaches said it was totally optional because she is so little.

I don't find it necessary to wear undies either...I think it is adorable when the little ones are in a Mommy and Me or a Daddy and Me class and their diaper/underwear stick out of their leo...but only when they are little.

umm yah i wear them well because im older an have gone through puberty. Unless shes that old yet i never wore any thing like that until around age 15:eek:

brief issues

yes it is a deduction, but im not sure how much they enforce it in lower levels. and no, as long as the gymnast is comfortable without it you do not HAVE to wear briefs. to keep the leo from sliding up - they make products such as Butt Glue which just goes around the edges of the leo; they sell it at places like Ten-o and gym-supply.com hope that helps!

My DD (7)does not wear anything underneath....for practice or competition. It feels like a swim suit to her and she's been doing it that way since pre-team. Right before pre-team a mom warned us to get her used to it because of the deduction rules for when they get older. Not sure what she will want to do when she gets older.

As a side note our gym had ordered brand new white/silver leos for team practice. You ahve never heard so many complaints before, LOL, because even the older girls were in the habit of not wearing anything. All of a sudden on team days there were colored undies and sport bras sticking out all over the place in "gentle" protest. We have new team leos now, LOLOL

I can't understand why a gym would expect girls to wear briefs under their leotards. Leotartds are designed to be like swimmers which means they are designed to be worn without briefs. We would never allow any of our girls to compete with briefs on under their leo regardless of their age.

I personally think it looks terrible to see breifs under a leo because they never stay under the leo, they always stick out at the side.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back