wearing grips - how should your hand lay - flat or curved?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgal

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
DD has size 0 of the 10-0 tensport grips. they are similar to the reisport ones. She has had these for a year now and really likes them but lately other gymnasts have had to get larger ones so I figured I'd remeasure dd's. She fits squarely in the 0 size range still (up to 6.5in and she is 6in) but she cannot fully extend her fingers. They stay in a curved position with them on. The other gymnasts are telling her that she should be able to fully extend her fingers flat. The coaches aren't much into grips (wear what you feel comfortable with). The other girls are able to fully extend and have a little slack of grip by their fingers.

DD doesn't want to change them out right now. they are well worn but have lots of leather left. She doing free hips and spotted cast handstands and giants (well, soon - she's doing giants on strap bar without grips right now). I am concerned that she will realize later in the year that she needs larger ones but then will have to break them in during competition season (winter/spring). But I also don't want to buy the next size (1) because if she wears the 0's another year she will be ready for 2;s

please help

Grips stretch out the more you use them, so later on she may very well be able to fully extend her fingers. That being said, I'm pretty sure I can't in my grips. (Although I'm not actually sure if you're supposed to be able to. I don't think it would be comfy to have them that long and loose!) Are they velcro grips? If so she should probably get buckle grips anyways, because giants really demand them.

DD has size 0 of the 10-0 tensport grips. they are similar to the reisport ones. She has had these for a year now and really likes them but lately other gymnasts have had to get larger ones so I figured I'd remeasure dd's. She fits squarely in the 0 size range still (up to 6.5in and she is 6in) but she cannot fully extend her fingers. They stay in a curved position with them on. The other gymnasts are telling her that she should be able to fully extend her fingers flat. The coaches aren't much into grips (wear what you feel comfortable with). The other girls are able to fully extend and have a little slack of grip by their fingers.

DD doesn't want to change them out right now. they are well worn but have lots of leather left. She doing free hips and spotted cast handstands and giants (well, soon - she's doing giants on strap bar without grips right now). I am concerned that she will realize later in the year that she needs larger ones but then will have to break them in during competition season (winter/spring). But I also don't want to buy the next size (1) because if she wears the 0's another year she will be ready for 2;s

please help

the bold is correct. the italicized and underlined is wrong, wrong, wrong.

thank you! DD said she wouldn't feel safe or comfortable with so much extra leather where she could stretch her hands fully. So I guess her instinct is right. Since she has been using them for a yr now - I doubt they will stretch any more than what they are now.

As for the buckles - it's interesting you mention that. We were just talking with a higher level gymnast who said she had to switch from velcro to buckle when she began giants. Said the velcro would come so loose she felt like they would fall off. Right now, I think we are OK with the velcro but the next pair I will push her toward buckle. they are starting to work routines now so she probably won't do much more giant work until next spring, aside from strap bar. At that point she likely will need new grips (hers will be 2yr at that point) so it should work out.

THe size ranges for the grips are pretty big - my dd is just now the measurement for 0 grips, but her coach had me get her 0 instead of 00 last year - I think it was difficult for dd to have the grips be alittle too big - I definitely wouldn't get her bigger grips if she doesn't measure for them!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back