MAG Week Off

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
DS (L10) has had this week off from gym (closure). He has been relatively active, riding his bike, running around the park with friends, etc. He has done his rolling/therapy stuff as well. He has not done much in the way of strength.

Should I encourage him to do some for the rest of this week? He moves up to the main coach on Monday, so I expect heavy conditioning and hard workouts. I am sure he will be sore from that, but was wondering if he did some stuff this week if that would make it easier. Or, would just resting his body be the better option heading into summer?

He does have 2 straight weeks of camps coming up starting on the 12th. Not something I would have planned, but it just happened that way....

My inclination is that as long as he's been pretty active, I'd let him just have fun this week. They train so much by that level that it's good for his mental health to just be a kid - and his physical health won't suffer irretrievably in just a week. But of course, my kid isn't to that level yet, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt!

A recovery week sounds like it will help his strength work, and his mindset.

I agree - folding laundry and vacuuming FTW!

OK. I feel better about not pushing him to work out. I just wasn't sure if I *should* be :) Thanks guys!

Recovery time is good :) I get mine to stretch though...ideally daily but realistically they get it done maybe 2-3 times if they have a week off.

I would think that if the coaches wanted him to work on anything, then he would have been told what to do. He sounds like he's been active and doing what he wants to and that's good for his mental health.

I would think that if the coaches wanted him to work on anything, then he would have been told what to do. He sounds like he's been active and doing what he wants to and that's good for his mental health.

Well, my son's coach has given them a vacation conditioning list. The assumption is that anytime they are out fir more than a couple days, they should be conditioning. Does that mean my Ds always dies it? No. But I too believe their bodies sometimes need to the rest for recovery as well.

Well, my son's coach has given them a vacation conditioning list. The assumption is that anytime they are out fir more than a couple days, they should be conditioning. Does that mean my Ds always dies it? No. But I too believe their bodies sometimes need to the rest for recovery as well.
My daughter was out of the gym for about three weeks and was given a conditioning list which she did not really stick to. When she returned to the gym there was a 1-2 week period where she really felt it by not keeping up with her conditioning.

If it was for more than 1 week my Ds would do the conditioning and I would not have to tell him too. He would be freaked out about losing strength. For one week though, I think he even feels how rest is needed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back