Parents Weekend practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hijacked from another thread...

I don't know what we would do if one of our practices is on Saturday. Apparently, that happens at many gyms, including the one across town from us.

FWIW, we like having the weekends to free up. It leaves a lot more options for what to do (or not to do) when neither school nor gym practice is in session, including another activity that calls for only weekends.

Do you have a preference either way?

My oldest DD trains every Saturday from 9-2. My younger DD trains 12-3. I like the Sat sessions and the girls love gym so it works for us!

Last year my girls trained the same hours as Taximoms girls. This year they both train 10am-1pm. I prefer the new schedule as we drive so far for gym. But I don't mind Saturday training generally, training more after school would be hard for our family. We always spend Sundays together and it seems to work out fine.

Bean will be training Saturdays, starting at noon. She doesn't train on Fridays, so she pretty much has Fridays open for sleepovers!!

We love her schedule!

DD has practice 9- 12:30 on Saturday. It works for us because it gives us one extra evening with her during the week. DH works Sat. morning too so we can't do anything as a family anyway. Its over early enough on Sat that we have the rest of the day free. I like that.

This year, gymmie has Sat. practice from 8-1. Its not the Sat. practice that is so bad, but the Fri evening/Sat am practice that wipes out a weekend. She gets home from practice about 8pm on Fri and 12 hours later is back in the gym. Now, only our L7s and up do this schedule. L6s do a Fri/Sat, but don't come in until later on Sat. and the L5s have Sat. off.

We do carpool, so we only have 1 trip to the gym on Sat. which does give dh and I time to do errands.

No Saturdays until optionals at DDs current gym. And I think that the L7s might go M-F and the L8-10 go M-Th and Saturdays.

Personally, I prefer no Saturdays because it is nice to have those days off to spend with hubby. Her old gym no one did Saturdays, optionals went M-F. But, for older girls, I can see how having Friday nights off might be nice for school stuff, though they still have to be up early the next day.

This year, gymmie has Sat. practice from 8-1. Its not the Sat. practice that is so bad, but the Fri evening/Sat am practice that wipes out a weekend. She gets home from practice about 8pm on Fri and 12 hours later is back in the gym. Now, only our L7s and up do this schedule. L6s do a Fri/Sat, but don't come in until later on Sat. and the L5s have Sat. off.

We do carpool, so we only have 1 trip to the gym on Sat. which does give dh and I time to do errands.

This is our schedule too. (excpet on Fridays she doesn't get home until 9:00 pm) Last year they went M-TH and Saturdays. Fridays were off nights which were great.
I know a lot of the HS girls are upset because now they have to miss the football games. I am still holding out hope they change the schedule back to old one.

Tracy

For you guys who have Saturday practice, do you prefer it to start early so it gets over with sooner, or start later so you don't have to rush?

As a coach and a gymnast I always hated early start times! At my old gym our compulsories had a 10:30 - 2 workout and I loved it. I could sleep until 9, have a lazy breakfast and a long shower. When they switched it to 9am I was chugging coffee so fast to be functional I was sure I was getting 2nd degree burns on my tongue! My husband is up at the crack of dawn, I blame him for my early morning laziness! Though a lot of the parents showed up looking sleepy and clutching their travel coffee mugs just like me lol!

we do sat. for all levels. I really like it, it frees up a school night....great for the homework. Our 4s go M, Th (4-7) and Sat. (8-12), our Level 5s go M, T, Th (4-7) and Sat. (8-12). As level 6, dd goes M,T, W (4-7), Th (4-8) and Sat. (8-12). Leaves Fridays open for going to school events. The older ones hate fri. practices. Optionals go M, W, Th (4-7), T (4-8) and Sat. (8-12).

I've heard of some gyms doing Sat & Sun in order to free up homework time. not sure how I would feel about all weekend, but it's a nice idea to free up weeknight running while school is going on. At dds age, school isn't much of a problem (does it on the commute back & forth to the gym), but I'm sure at Jr High and HS it's a much bigger deal.

LINSUL --- yes, both the parents and the girls prefer to have it early and be able to do whatever they want the rest of the day. Makes for hard time on sleepovers on Fridays, but they have Sat. nights to do that I guess. I'm not an early riser, but I much prefer that instead of the middle of the day.

DD does 20 hrs/week. M-F during summer vacation and M-W-Th-Sa-Su during the school year. Sa-Su practice is 1pm - 5pm. Between school/homework, gym and time for her to be with friends we don't have much time together. The good news is that she can drive herself to school and gym.

Day off during the week

Our Compulsory and Optional girls all go 20 hours a week. Their hours are 4-8 pm Mon, Tue, Thur and Fri. Saturday hours are 9-1. This gives them a day off during the week and they do better only having one day off between training days.

We go Saturdays from 12-4 pm and I am thankful for those Saturday hours because it relieves us from another weeknight. My dd goes T, W, Th and Sat and that just leaves us enough time during the week to get homework done. I would not want to be out until 8:00 pm another school night. I like afternoons, mainly because my dd is so not a morning person.

Meg

Dd has gym on Mon,Tues,Wed,Fri,Sat and off on Thurs.I like that she has a da off during the week so she can catch up with homework,etc.
We decided to sent her back to Public school after being homeschooled for 1 year for the social aspect of it.

DD practices to 8:30 on Friday nights and is back at the gym by 9:45 Sat morning for dance classes and then practice from 12:20 to 4:00. She loves it but my wife and I do not like giving up every Saturday all the time..

Sean

I agree with what Iggy said (being that I am his wife)! :D We look forward to summers, when all practices are weekdays because the gym is closed on weekends.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with what Iggy said (being that I am his wife)!
Hey, how come my wife isn't so agreeable with me?:(

Anyways, our gym never had weekend practice, not even from when it first opened. But, it used to have many more hours of practice. Even L4s were doing all 5 weeknights.

Over the years, they realized that wasn't the best thing for the team so they progressively increased the number of nights based on level. So, for the number of nights: L4=2, L5=3, L6=4 and Optionals=5.

Started last year they modified the program again. They intensified the optionals training so that they were able to drop the optionals down to 4 nights a week freeing up Wednesdays for them. So Wednesdays are called compulsories night now and Thursdays is our optionals night.

Our L7 daughter really enjoy having Wednesdays and the weekend off from the gym (except in the winter when she is occupied 7 days/week). As for homework, luckily she hasn't had trouble keeping up. She normally either do them during recess in school or on the bus on her way to the gym.

My gymnasts train Saturday and Sunday! For our club it is really the Sunday practice which is a problem because a lot of families like to have a family day on Sunday (including me!)

On Saturday the girls train 9.30-12.45 then the next class is 1-4 so I am in the gym coaching all day. On Sunday we train 3.30-6.00 Which is awful timing in my opinion.
All I have time to do on Sunday is get in from Church, have lunch and go to gym. My brother and sister in law always come round on Sunday Afternoon with my baby Nephew and I hardly ever get to see them! :(

I personally like the saturday training. I know a lot of clubs train all day Saturday from 9-5. They all have lunch together and do a workshop in the afternoons - could be dance, could be tumbling etc but I really like that idea and it is something we have thought about doing in the past but it has never come into fruition.

Our main prob is that our gym is so small and we just can't have rec gymnasts training alongside comp gymnasts so all our comp sessions have to be when the gym is free and that means saturday and sunday to make up for lost time during the week!

During the school yr, dd trains on Sat (12-4pm). I'm not a big fan of that time because it basically ruins most of Sat from doing anything during the day. BUT, since she is in the gym on Friday night too, it is better to have practice at 12 rather than 8 or 9am because it gives the body a chance to recover.

During the school yr, she has off on Wed and Sun. I like having Wed off, so basically she has training 2 days, then off, then training 3 days then off. Repeat - rinse - repeat! ;)

During the summer, she has off on weekends and trains M-F. M-Th 2-6/7 and Fri 9-12. They get a chance to start their weekends off early.

I have to say I can't complain with the way the hrs are set up throughout the yr.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back