WAG Weight Gain and how to "address" it with DD

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Difficult....very much depends on yours and her past history with food/eating/body image. If there is no history and weight and eating has been a non-topic until now, it's also very possible she just doesn't get enough food. Very hungry teenagers tend to eat a lot of crap because sugar and fat satisfy the hunger much faster than a nice salad. I'm an adult teenager myself and I still tend to eat the crap if there's nobody to spoonfeed me the healthy options. If the healthier options are available I will eat them instead of the junk but only if I've prepared them before the hunger hits.

First response would also be not to talk about it and make sure you don't buy junk food. You could however, if you think she will be ok with it, ask her if she gets enough food at mealtimes because you've seen her eat more junk and know this is usually a sign of being very hungry.

I would guess there is nothing you could tell her that she doesnt already know about herself at that age and much of anything you say would likely be taken the wrong way. If you feel like you must say something I would focus on food as fuel and say hey you may want to consider healthier food options especially before practice or you are going to find yourself tired and hungry and wont be able to accomplish the things you want in practice. I still feel like that conversation could go terribly wrong though. I would just try and get rid of unhealthy foods in the house and eat healthy things yourself at shared meals without talking about it. You wont be able to police what she buys herself thats going to have to come from her in the long run anyway. You could even say to her... Hey i have been feeling kinda crummy lately and I think its cause of the kinds of foods i am eating. I want to try and do x, y, z to feel better will you help me by not letting me eat junky food during the day help hold me accountable. Maybe she will be inspired and at least then its about you not her.
As a mother who understands eating disorders, I like this suggestion. Please don’t make a big deal about her weight. Maybe keep healthier options around the house, eat at set times, and no late night snacking. Just PLEASE don’t tell her she’s fat

Speaking as a gymnast, I think your DD has noticed her weight gain by now and it might not be beneficial to either of you to bring it up. I like the suggestions of just eating at set times and not keeping unhealthy snacks in the house.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back