Members see FEWER ads

Yes but im a little bit podgy and im
worried the rest of the girls will make
fun of me when im in a leotard!
I can wear shorts in the gymn and everything
but when I start going to comps I will have
to show the fat tops of my legs and
that gives me great anxiety!

Oh wow well let me tell you this I'm the biggest girl at my gym. I'm about 5' and 110lbs ( our even a little more :p) in my group there re 10, 11 , and 12 year olds and there so skinny. I wear shorts but not all the time. You should'nt beat yourself up. It sounds like you downing yourself bad. I doubt any1 will make fun of you in your leo (Thats really mean!) Please curves look good in anything! I'm the shortest and thickest of all my siblings (Which are girls) and they pick fun but I don't really mind. Try wearing your leo like around you room without shorts and get comfortable with it. Thats what I did.

I'n gym I plenty about my size but nothing really negetive i don't think so.

1)We did by my old coach – they told us what we could and couldn’t eat, made jokes about our weight and even gave us nicknames cause of our weight (but we were all actually really thin…).

2)My old coach told me that I was overweight and needed to lose weight… I was at the time an underweight 8 year old!

3)Nope, surprisingly no-one has that I’ve known of anyway. But it bothered some more than others. I’m so paranoid about my weight and I’ve gained a lot of weight in muscle lately and am freaking out! When my doctor told me my BMI was normal I was really offended, I know it sounds crazy but I’d feel better if I was just a tiny bit underweight. That sounds so crazy, and I by no means have an eating disorder – I eat loads!

Btw my new coach would never ever do that and whenever I say I’m fat she tells me to shutup :p

Our old coaches did it constantly, one girl hadn't been coming to gym for long, and i think she was about 8, and she was doing straddle chest to floor and our coach said 'why do you have something big stuck up your leotard? oh no wait, it's just your stomach, no wonder you cant get your chest on the floor'
I quit for a few years and one of the first things i heard when i came back was one of the coaches telling a 10 year old 'youve put on a stone in a week girl, what have you been eating?' and the girl just nodded and said she'd lose weight.
Thing is when you're used to it, it doesn't seem so bad, but now i'm typing it out i'm thinking gosh i can't believe they said those things!

Also, i'm from the UK too. I wonder if it's more of a big deal here? At competitions all the girls are talking about what diet their squad is on, how they've put on weight, etc.

I was chastised about my weight quite a bit as a gymnast. When I was younger I wasn't big, but I began taking medication when I was about 10 that caused me to gain a good amount of weight. After that point I often had coaches comment on my weight. I remember one would hit my stomach, once when I was looking in a mirror she asked if I was looking at my fat stomach, she singled me another girl out to work harder on our conditioning to get rid of our flabby stomachs. Another coach was talking to a group of other coaches, one of which was a teammate of mine, and she commented that no coach would ever spot me because I was much too big. When I switched gyms the head coaches at the new gym said that I could benefit from losing a few pounds and people made good comments when I did start to lose weight.
I remember a specific incident when I was riding home with a teammate and she mentioned a negative comment the coach made about another girls weight (a girl who was about the same size as me). Her mother just said that this girl was indeed quite large. I imagined that this mother also had some words to say about me when I was not around.
I was incredibly self conscious about my body as a gymnast and still am.

Lolz

exact same as maddiekate. It does make me feel really uncomfortable when people talk about how thin I am, especially guys. I'm really not obnoxiously skinny or anything.

Yo Nearly All the time someone talks about how Thin you are that is alot of time's they way they say YOUR HOT! Trust me its A Complement When it comes from a guy:) ~Sincerely A Guy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back