"Weird" Gymnast Habits

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
I decided that it would be fun to see some of the weird gymnast habits people have. Like I can't go 10 minutes without doing some sort of skill, and before a competition I have to fall asleep listening to my floor music and a few inspiring songs, I need glitter at a competition or else I will be a wreck. For skills, when I was working on cast away baby giant a million years ago I crossed my feet :p I also "dress like a gymnast". You know, we like to wear sweatpants and tank tops and gymnastics clothing of course! Also, we sometimes come to school with stray glitter in our hair or our tarcksuit.

cracking your toes.

Oh and one time I did and English presentation and apparently "stood like a gymnast" the entire time.

Have done handstands in stores such as marks work wear house as well, and the obvious randomly doing handstands outside which puts most people in complete awe. haha.

backtucking/frontucking into pools

I also have urges to do my beam routine/poses or segments of it (at least the arms) randomly - but usual refrain from this in a public place.

Ok, so my dd would probably kill me if she knew I posted this on here, but she has what I call her nervous tick. It's that thing she does before attempting a newer/hard skill. Thankfully she only does this in practice and not at competitions.

She will pick a wedgie (that doesn't exist) and then she immediately does the following - uses her thumb and index finger and rubs the corners of her mouth, each finger on a corner. Whenever I see her do it, I'm like really, that is nasty! But it is what it is and it's her nervous tick!!! I usually see it when she is about to vault or about to do a series on beam.... sshhh, don't tell anyone! ;)

One day I was watching and she looked like before she would do the trick was talking to herself when I asked she started to laugh and said I was praying to God to please let me get this with out breaking my neck and will try to make deals with God to get it. Now every time she is working on a new trick I notice her lips moving and she still prays still trying to make deals.

A bun is needed for meets with the bun cover that has the jewels on it and glitter sprayed on the rest of the hair is a must. We had one meet without the glitter and that was all she could think of on the drive over. Thank God it was near Halloween and every store had some so we could purchase it on the way over to the meet.

She has a stuffed frog she won at one of her first meets (many moons ago) for having a best move (don't remember what move was) ever since then she doesn't go to a meet without it because we all know it must be a lucky frog LOL. If you want to see a "hissy fit" just have that frog missing from her gym bag.

Her competition leo has to be washed the night before the meet or as she says "It isn't right" guess she wants that fresh fabric softener scent or something.

When she sits watching TV you can see her feet drawing out the alphabet.

I'm always doing parts of my beam or floor routine, even in public! Before I do a backhandspring on beam I have to think, "1,2,3, backhandspring, GO!" or I'll just stand there forever and not do it. If I'm doing a double back or tsuk into the pit I have to do this set/pull motion with my arms and left leg at least twice before I go. I also psych myself out about falling asleep the night before a meet and usually toss and turn forever before I finally fall asleep. :)

Anywhere I find a line, I find myself doing sections of my beam routine :) Mainly the poses.
My nervous tick which I normally can be seen doing at any meet or before an exam or anything like that is I hold my right hand in my left and rub the middle of my right palm with my left thumb. I NEVER realise I'm doing it but my mum always says she wonders how I haven't rubbed a hole right through my hand :)
If I'm bored (in lessons or something), my most common distraction is designing leos! I do it without thinking, I just start sketching a leo :)
At my last practice before a competition I always have to have a tiny teddie that my first ever coach got me, and carry it with me around the apparatus :)

I point my toes all the time. If I'm standing in line or something I will rock back and forth pointing one toe and then the other. Our gym owner thinks its funny and says that my old coach must have really rubbed off on my since he was always on us about pointing our toes.

I don't have any habbit like that because I haven't been at any meet yet, but sometimes, when I'm talking about some skill or I'm about to do it I say it's name in English to my self. :eek:

P.S.- I'm not English, I'm PT.:p

I almost never washed my wrist bands because I thought it was lucky. They were disgusting! I also tried to eat French toast before every meet for luck. I'm sure there were plenty more as I was the queen of bizarre rituals for luck, but those are the only ones coming to mind right now.

On bars, I always crack my toes before taking a turn, and when I use rubberbands to keep my grips on my fingers, I have to use 1 on my right hand and two on my left, and I always put them on my right hand first. On beam, I have to warm up some skills at least three times(on floor) before doing it on beam. And for series, I have to do two timers before going for it.

Forgot one, I ALWAYS eat watermelon before a meet :) It's the craziest thing and sometimes difficult to get hold of but it has to happen :)

Forgot one, I ALWAYS eat watermelon before a meet :) It's the craziest thing and sometimes difficult to get hold of but it has to happen :)

Watermelon tastes great frozen. It is hot here, so we freeze watermelon chunks and the girls just eat it like that. Doesn't de-thaw well though, so you must eat it frozen. :) You can put popsicle sticks in them, too, makes them not so messy to hold. And even use cookie cutters for fun shapes, but we just cut it into chunks. You can freeze them all on a cookie sheet, then put them in a plastic bag so they don't get freezer smell.

Last edited:
In my backhandspring on beam, I always sing a song in my head, then go on a part that's..well I guess emphasised. It's kinda weird, but it helps me to not think about it and to just think of the song! The song is usually Blame It On The Pop, and it's usually at the part where it's like 'So live your life -hey-' Lol

Also, before I do one of my more advanced skills, I wipe my palms on my gym suit then wipe my feet on the ground (it's usually for floor :p)

I crack my toes all the time. Especially before tumbling.
I have the urge to do my floor or beam routine in any open space.
I have these weird things to do before my series on beam & before vault (wiping hands and feet, singing a song, counting, ect.) or I won't go.
I am probably the queen of mental-ness! There is a lot more...but none are coming to mind at the moment.

love this post!

right grip is always first.
i stick out my toung befor i tumble i always feel my hair to make sure its nice. if my bands arnt french braided and have TONS of glitter in my hair and glitter on my eyes and shinny lip gloss then the meets not gonna be good!
every line is a beam. i once got in trouble at school for doing this.. i thought it was stupid but w.e
i do 6 push ups if my fisrt event is vault or floor

vanella special k bar before EVERY MEET!

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back