WAG Weird Vault Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So to start, I do know you have to compete a skill you made up -for example, "The Biles"- at a national level for it to be considered a real "skill." But how would you do that on vault?

Let's say in a few years, when more and more people do front handspring landing on the springboard, then they're vault, (There is a video at the end of post on what I mean) when will this be a real vault with a specific start value? Wouldn't it be when you go to compete it first at a national comp., it would be a 0.00 because it is not considered a real vault yet? What do you do when you have a new vault.

And I dont mean another twist or flip, I mean a completely new vault. Thanks!

Video, skill I talked about at 0:40

If the link does not work, look up Saltocafe interesting ideas.

Front Handspring entry vaults are already real vaults, and some are named like the Ilg. There are a few other variations. We see a few in Level 10 here!

I have seen quite a few of the front handspring to land on board into the front handspring over tha table in College gymnastics.

Maybe I should have worded it differently. I was using that as an example, what I was trying to get across was how would you get a vault to be a vault with a specific value, etc. Thank you both for your responses, though!

There are only so many possible vault entries. It seems the only way to make a new vault would be to add a twist or a flip.

You can petition to have a new skill put into the code. Until it gets competed at JO nationals, it would be given a provisional value. You have to send in a video and form to your Regional Technical Committee Chairman and Regional Jr. Olympic Committee Chairman.

Here is the link for the form (for JO/NCAA - Xcel is different): https://usagym.org/PDFs/Forms/Women/NewElementEvalform_JO.pdf

Basically they'd give a value that would be valid for the quadrennium (4-year cycle), and your coach would have to carry around the sheet detailing the skill and its value to meets, and present it to the meet referee before competition starts. Usually the elements are on bars or beam, and can simply be given A/B/C/D/E values. I've never seen a new vault entered, but I assume that they'd have to give it a start value in each level applicable.

Now I'm trying to imagine new kinds of vaults-how about a sort of straddle cut into a front tuck or a gainer?

Why would there be an Xcel form? If it can't enter the code until competed at nationals, and Xcel doesn't have nationals, then there is no way to complete the process. Can an Xcel gymnast create a new skill and have it named?
The only difference between the Xcel form and the JO/NCAA form is the second person the form and video are sent to. So Xcel gymnasts COULD create a new skill... But it would only possibly get their name in the Xcel code (would be my guess)... But if someone else does it in JO/NCAA or FIG beforehand, then it would end up in the JO or FIG code.

The only difference between the Xcel form and the JO/NCAA form is the second person the form and video are sent to. So Xcel gymnasts COULD create a new skill... But it would only possibly get their name in the Xcel code (would be my guess)... But if someone else does it in JO/NCAA or FIG beforehand, then it would end up in the JO or FIG code.

So at what meet would they need to show the skill to get it fully into the Xcel code? States? Regionals?

So at what meet would they need to show the skill to get it fully into the Xcel code? States? Regionals?
According to the form, the evaluation (level /rating) is good for one quadrennium, beginning August after the Summer Olympics.
However, there would be a chance to get it into the code at any of the yearly meetings ... The form is submitted to the Regional Xcel Committee Chair and the Regional Technical Committee Chair. At the National Xcel meeting or the combined Technical /Xcel meeting, the Regional rep could motion to add it. If it gets passed, they can add it.
Just this year, they added a 1/4 On-1/4 Off to face AWAY from the vault to the Xcel COP.

According to the form, the evaluation (level /rating) is good for one quadrennium, beginning August after the Summer Olympics.
However, there would be a chance to get it into the code at any of the yearly meetings ... The form is submitted to the Regional Xcel Committee Chair and the Regional Technical Committee Chair. At the National Xcel meeting or the combined Technical /Xcel meeting, the Regional rep could motion to add it. If it gets passed, they can add it.
Just this year, they added a 1/4 On-1/4 Off to face AWAY from the vault to the Xcel COP.

Is that named for someone? I know they can add skills, I'm just wondering if Xcel gymnasts can earn namesake skills?

Is that named for someone? I know they can add skills, I'm just wondering if Xcel gymnasts can earn namesake skills?
It is not named after someone. I doubt it will ever get to that point because of the no Nationals thing.
Now, if the Xcel gymnast were a DIAMOND and came up with a new HIGHER level skill… then switched to JO or managed to (somehow) get into the NCAA… and they competed it there (after getting JO/NCAA evaluation) and went on to compete it at JO Nationals or NCAA Nationals, they might have a chance.

eta: Of course, there is a spot on the form for the "Name" of the skill. I guess the gymnast could always TRY to call it by her name.

I have nothing to contribute to the actual meat of this question, but that video was COOL to watch so thanks for sharing!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back