Parents Well I can relate this ...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

UGA2016

Proud Parent
An honest account of what it can be like to be a gym mom. I certainly spent my time reading it nodding along with some of the issues encountered. Worth a read if you have a space 10 minutes.

Opening paragraph:

"I often wonder what the outcome would have been had I made different choices in respect to my daughter’s gymnastics career. Many scenarios flit through my mind – ranging from sporting achievements to short and long-term health outcomes and all the variables in between. I have been asked on many occasions whether I regret removing my daughter from a coach I considered abusive, considering the performative results her athletes have since achieved. I always reply, my only regret is not moving her sooner. This discourse of achievement runs deep within elite gymnastics; the methods of producing results overlooked for the attainment of International success."

I thought my being a ‘good’ mum away from the craziness of the culture would be enough to protect her. I was wrong.

You cannot undo the feelings of low self-esteem when your child is being told they are not good enough 90% of the time.

You cannot undo the micro trauma constantly inflicted upon your child’s body through overtraining by insisting they take a few days off.

You cannot undo the despair your child feels because they like the food you allow them to eat at home but stress because they are weighed and told they are fat in the gym.

You can’t do half a job.

Soooooo good.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back