Off Topic well who woulda thunk it?!?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Broomball is a really big deal at my college, so getting into the the spirit of being a freshman, I joined my hall's team. And I'm pretty sure that both gymnastics and cheerleading have really helped with broomball!

Tonight we had our 5th game, and our record is 3-2. I've come to the conclusion that gymnastics helps because I can move around the ice more efficiently with my amazing gymnast balance. I still fall plenty, but in the 4 games I've played in so far there's only been 1 honest "suddenly flat on my back with out any warning" fall for me. I thought I might have some advantage from gymnastics, if not from balance, from a lack of fear of getting hurt. A high threshold for pain is a benefit I've noticed from gymnastics :)

It wasn't until tonight that I realized cheerleading gave me a slight advantage too- I ran into the boards going after the ball, and happened to slide on my knees right into an opponent, and as any good base would do if a person was about to fall on their head, I turned and stuck my shoulder foreword and the girl rolled right over my back. In contrast a girl on my team had her head sat on when a girl fell on her...

And I know that gymnastics gave me an advantage balance wise because our 4th game the ice wasn't really ice as it was covered in snow, so basically everyone could run around the ice just fine without constantly falling down. I played absolutely horribly that game as my balance didn't give me any advantage over the other players... but tonight the ice was actual ice and I even had an assist! I find that pretty amazing for a gymnast with very little hand-eye coordination.

Who woulda thought that gymnastics and cheerleading make for a decent broomball player??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back