MAG Went to a yuck meet today.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

GymBeeMom

Proud Parent
My ds, level 4, had his second meet today. The venue was awesome and I thought as I walked in "this is gonna be great." Unfortunately, it ran slowly. Then the awards were in a cramped spot where you could barely see the kids. No podium, only medals for first five (which would be ok) but they mixed all the kids into only 2 age groups. That meant very few children got to medal or be recognized. For level 4, I always like to see as many kids get recognized as possible.

Also a bit disappointed that our team is not looking very competitive this season. Not sure if it is coaching or the kids, it can be a bit hard to tell where the problem is. Trying to help my ds recognize where he has room for improvement while honoring all his hard work. Hoping the rest of the season looks up for the whole team. He didn't even really seem to enjoy the experience much:(

Im sorry to hear it was a bad experience. The next meet will be better! How did he do individually? I hope well!

Meets like that are so hard. Sometimes I wish they did what the girls did, and divide the boys up evenly, so that more kiddos are recognized. Especially at the lower levels. (here at level 4, they all get ribbons at each event...do they do that there?) Things will get better :) The season is young!

I agree! We went to a meet last year(large meet) where level 4 girls n boys were running at the same time in rings next to each other. The girls were awarded 50% deep on events and 100% all around. The boys got...100% all around what a slap in the face! It was like, oh boys aren't important. We are
not returning to that meet this year...
Sorry :(

My DD is a level 7 so I am used to the girls getting lots of recognition in the beginner levels. It really makes the kids feel good. There was a girls level 4 meet going on simultaneously and our awards kept getting interrupted by the sound of the girls awards going on.

Oh well. My ds scored great on some events and not so great on others. He was one of the lucky few to medal on one event. He made it into the all around line up but didn't like that his ribbon said "18th place". I told him to be grateful he got a few ribbons and a medal and learn from the experience for next time:)

It's not easy -- believe me, I know! -- but it's a good start to learning that competition isn't all about getting medals and awards. I really encourage my two (one who may or may not bring a single medal back from any given meet and one who has only once failed to get a medal) to focus on setting their own standards for performing skills successfully and counting these successes as victories.

It is great, though, that he has a few strong events. That can make a big difference for the younger and newer athletes who don't get as much out of achieving intrinsic goals yet. Glad he got something, because wow is one different from none.

On the flip side, it can be kinder to only medal a few kids.
My son had to sit through many meets as a six year old where they went out 50% and he barely missed 50% in most of his events.
Then one big meet he made top 50% in all of his events at one meet, and guess what, they medalled top third and he didn't get to the top third in ANY.
It's harder on kids like my son to watch as most of the kids get multiple medals and he gets nothing.
If they just recognize the top-top, then it's easier on the bottom half.
They are all winners for being there.

I agree! We went to a meet last year(large meet) where level 4 girls n boys were running at the same time in rings next to each other. The girls were awarded 50% deep on events and 100% all around. The boys got...100% all around what a slap in the face! It was like, oh boys aren't important. We are
not returning to that meet this year...
Sorry :(
WOW that's egregious. What the heck.

We went to a meet a few years back. There were 3 girls competing in the same block as ours, same age, one level higher. They all got medals for each apparatus and an AA medal each. Then the awards for our girls level was done, sixty girls, they did medals for the top three on each apparatus and top 3 AA. There were a lot of cranky parents, kids and coaches after that awards ceremony, well except those of the first group! Medals ceremonies can be very unhappy times.

Not sure what is happening with the boys, but it has become pretty standard in my area for all meets (invitationals and state meets) to split the girls in each session into 3 equal size age groups by birthday (younger, middle, older) and give medals to top 50% in each event and all-around. For levels 3 and 4 still top half for events, but all-around medals for all. The consistency really does make for much happier gymnasts and parents come awards time.

Being inconsistent does make it seem silly, almost meaningless, which possibly is a good thing IDK.

One meet last year, the L5 boys were lumped into age 7-9 for awards. I'm sure very few first year L5 7 year olds could compete successfully against the 3rd year L5 9 year olds.

I know at state and regionals, the boys have to follow the USAG age ranges. At most meets we attended, they did divide them up more evenly. This year, however, at our first meet, D was up against about 30 boys, while the other 2 age groups had 7 and 14. But that is what it will be like at the BIG meets, so he might as well get used to it.

My son's best meet(well, probably tied with state) was one where the age 6s and age 7s were put together. He would have been first all around and in four of the six events had they separated them, and there were enough in both groups(in my opinion).

I kind of wish there were more consistent rules about it as well. This season will be interesting since he will be an age 7 Level 5 and in our state I don't think there will be many of them. I am guessing that means they will be grouped with the 8 year olds a lot.

I kind of wish there were more consistent rules about it as well. This season will be interesting since he will be an age 7 Level 5 and in our state I don't think there will be many of them. I am guessing that means they will be grouped with the 8 year olds a lot.

And probably with the 9s. I am not sure if the age ranges changed or not this year at level 5, but in the past it has been 7-9 year olds.

I just hope they even the ages out a bit when they can. 7 in one age group and 30 in the next seems a bit odd to me....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back