Parents We're pulling her out

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

M23K's

We've changed our minds again and have decided to pull DD out. Money is the main reason but the commute is a big part of it. It will take up so much time. The gym is in a major city and although it's 25 miles one way, the trip back home after drop-off can take as long as an hour due to rush hour traffic. The responses to my post concerning what we should do helped alot. I also have been praying about it and I know this is what we should do.

I'm heartbroken. This may sound stupid but I feel like crying over this...I need a life huh?!? Sometimes I wonder if I didn't like it more than DD did.

I'll post more tomorrow about her reaction and things. We're heading out the door now.

I am sorry that you have not been able to work out another solution. Please keep us posted.

I think I will also be devastated when we leave the gym

It is a tough choice for all of you. It is not unreasonable to feel sad, gym is a big part of all of our lives. You have a lot of sympathy from us on CB, we will all face this at some point.

Be proud of all that you have achieved as a family, making informed decisions is a big part of raising smart, healthy children. :)

Right there with you. Different reasons, but dd1 left the gym last Monday and it looks like dd2 will be going end of the month. I totally get the sadness, but am trying to focus on what I gain. . .

No more saying no when a kid wants to try something new. Hey, we've got time.

Money for a real vacation rather than a series of winter weekend trips for meets in the Midwest . . . . brrrr. . . .

Family dinners (ok, with one in high school, it won't be every night, but even 2 nights a week beats what we have now).

No more x-rays and MRIs.

We all face this someday as this is not a sport people stay in for life--just too dang hard on the body. It's tough now, but it'll get better. You are making the right decision for the family. Just remember that. I'll be thinking of you.

It is always hard when the right decision to make for your family isn't what you would want in an ideal world. Good luck with life after gym - once the initial sadness and shock wears off you'll probably end up loving it. One of my dd's good friends quit a few months ago and after the first few weeks, her mom is loving all the free time and extra money she has now (actually kinda makes me envious sometimes, lol)

Thank you all for being so kind. It helps so much.

DD has been aware of the fact that DH and I have been tossing around the idea of having her quit so it didn't come as a total surprise to her. I sat her down, explained about the money and time and told her she would have to quit. She seemed a little panicky at first. I really don't know how to explain it but she just kept saying "but, but" and she didn't have anything to add to it. I think she was feeling like "what am I going to do now?" because gym is all she's ever known. Five minutes after I told her she started listing a million things that she'd like to try and seemed excited at the prospect. I don't think she totally believes it's over yet though. This week will probably be hard on her.

We're going to go to our local Y Tuesday, get a family membership and get the kids signed up for swimming lessons. Tuesday will be her first missed practice so I want to prove to her that she'll get to do other things.

Thank you all for being so kind. It helps so much.

DD has been aware of the fact that DH and I have been tossing around the idea of having her quit so it didn't come as a total surprise to her. I sat her down, explained about the money and time and told her she would have to quit. She seemed a little panicky at first. I really don't know how to explain it but she just kept saying "but, but" and she didn't have anything to add to it. I think she was feeling like "what am I going to do now?" because gym is all she's ever known. Five minutes after I told her she started listing a million things that she'd like to try and seemed excited at the prospect. I don't think she totally believes it's over yet though. This week will probably be hard on her.

We're going to go to our local Y Tuesday, get a family membership and get the kids signed up for swimming lessons. Tuesday will be her first missed practice so I want to prove to her that she'll get to do other things.

Good for you! That's the route we're taking, too. Get em involved in as much as they want to try. Dd1 tried out for and made dance team, and we started voice lessons. Signed up for summer driver's ed, too. We also talked to the gym owner about a job at the gym. Looks like that will happen this summer, if only for a few hours a week. She'll try to keep it year round if she can.

Dd2 will be playing softball this summer. She also wants to go to the pool. Hey, I can do that.

That must have been a very tough decision for you and dh. In the end you had to do what was right for the whole family and your dd. That long drive can really be wearing on the kids(and parents) especially with school work waiting at home. I totally respect the decision you and SterlingDad(our dad out in nowhere KS) have made to keep quality family time and some money in the bank.

Are there any cheer or power tumbling/tramp programs near you? That might be something dd would like with her gym background. Gosh, yes let her try some other activities---gymnastics is not the be all and end of her life. It is not what defines her as a person.

Keep posting and let us know how life is going and what dd is up to!!! Hugs to you for making the tough call.

Just to put in my two cents worth -- we made that decision just over a month ago, after the State Meet. It has been hard and there have been occasional regrets, but it was the right decision for us and we're very pleased with how things are going. My daughter got through one season (month of April) of soccer, and now is in softball -- both of which cost less than the gas for one 120 mile roundtrip to the gym. She's trying out for community theatre next week, and going to a church camp for the first time this summer. She's also able to now be in the gifted program at school. And we're together 6 nights a week instead of two now. She misses her friends and the medals, and I miss the aspirations, but my other children don't have to miss me so much.

I am sure it was a tough decision to make, but I totally understand it. Things have to work for the whole family (in my opinion). If they don't, adjustments must be made. It is just part of life sometimes, a hard part, but a part nonetheless.

I hope your DD finds something she loves to do and has fun. Maybe someday a gym will be in her future again, a closer one.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back