Parents Were you a gymnast?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I did gymnastics in school (after school programs) in elementary and middle school. When I got to high school I switched to cross country and track.

I did gymnastics for 2 or 3 years. I couldn't ever get past my fear of doing a BHS or going over the vault so I quit. I played tennis mostly and played about 4 hours a day throughout high school...I don't know how I did that and wish I was still in the awesome shape I was then. :)

I never did gymnastics!! In fact I never learned how to a cartwheel and never had my splits. But I've always LOVED gymnastics! As a child I loved the training biographies and was intrigued by all their hard work and dedication.

I played tennis. Lots of tennis too. I played in High School as well but stopped shortly after I had my first baby.....

Came from a very small town with not much going on.I watched Mary Lou Retton in the Olympics and after that was always trying stuff at home I was always very flexible so the splits were easy ,handstands,cartwheels ,front and backwalkovers.

I roller skated competitively for 4 1/2 years doing figures and the patterned compulsory dances like the ice dancers do before they get to do their original/free dances. I practiced with my partner Monday through Saturday for 3+ hours on the weekdays and 4 hours on Saturdays . Free time on Saturdays and Sundays was spent riding my horse.....just for fun, nothing fancy. Also played the clarinet from 6th to 12th grade. Quit skating when I went to high school so I could be in the marching band and color guard.

I could do a cart wheel, a round off, front & back walkovers, and I was very flexible back in the day. I always wanted to be a gymnast, but they didn't have programs or clubs in our city like they do now.

lived it

Yes I was a gymnast until I was 14. I regretably got to tall. However with my strength and way with kids she trained me to coach. im blessed to be a former gymnast, a coach and a parent of a gymnast, all of which make me a better coach and parent.

I was not a gymnast. I'm learning it all now. Played a whole bunch of different sports, Skied, field hockey and tennis. Although I do remember mastering the cartwheel and back bend in school pe. All of it was after school at my school. very easy but it was 4 nights a week but only about an hour or so.

I was not a gymnast. I did 5/6 years of ballet.

I remember I loved to swing on the bars at school. We used to have those metal bars that got really hot in summer. I used to sit on the top, swing backward with my legs hooked over and then land on my feet. I still remember trying to teach my best friend, but she landed on her face. We used to play on the oval and do cartwheels, handstands, roundoffs and handsprings.

I did go to a YMCA camp for a week when I was about 10 yo, and they had gymnastics there. I hated beam, was bored with floor, Vault was fun and I loved bars. I remember doing backhip circles, toe shoots and jumping low bar to high bar by the end of the week. It was great. There were no places that ran gymnastics close to where I lived, so it was not an option.

I wasn't a gymnast but man, if my parents had only seen the light, I think I would have been awesome. I'm only 4'10" and built like Mary Lou Retton (thighs, quads and more thighs). Sigh...

I was a gymnast started when I was 2 and quit when I was 18. I also danced and twirled baton. (dont anyone laugh). I was a cheerleader from Jr. High through graduation. When I went to college I focused on my studies and got married. I did coach gymnastics for a couple of years had a few girls win States. Now I am a pround Mommy. It is so hard to just be Mommy many days but I have really put the effort into it. Of course we try to do at least one open gym a week that is DD and Mommy time. I can't 100% be out of the gym that would KILL me.

No gymnastics for me either. Kinda funny that so many of us have children so interested in the sport and we did not do it ourselves. Introduced both of my children to horses, which is what I did, and neither one had any interest, go figure. I guess, since we didn't do gymnastics, is why this site is so popular. We are all just trying to figure this nutty sport out. LOL

Yes, for about 2 weeks. My parents signed me up for intermural gymnastics when I was about 8 years old with the assurance other boys would be there too. Well -- there werent any, and I remember the coach having me pratice basic tumbling - by myself- while the girls did everything else. I also remember several girls asking why i was even there.

Pretty tramatic all in all.

Now... of course If i could wind back the clock a "few" years to my teen years, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Not only does it look fun, but the ratio of pretty girls in leos to boys in the gym would be very "motivational" to be bluntly polite. :)

Nah, my parents put me in one of those 6 week classes at the "Y" and after about the second class the coach told my mom "I don't think gymnastics is really her *thing*" (of course that was a conversation repeated regarding ballet, tennis, golf and piano) in 6th grade I finally discovered my *thing* was horseback riding.

My parents made me continue the piano lessons though. I took them for 6 years and hated every stupid minute of it. No, I really can't play now either!

I'm glad DD found her thing early, and she pursues it with great passion. We'll see if it comes to anything later in life. A scholarship would be nice {by the time she gets to college we will have pretty much paid enough for gymnastics for a college education...would be nice to get some of it back!};)

Snowbound

They say if you hope your childs gym passion will lead to a scolarship you should make them quit and put the money in the bank, as that is the only way that you will know for sure that college will be paid for!!! But then of course there wouldn't be anyone in the gyms.

I did gym in primary school, saturday mornings sqeezed in between, ballet, swimming, surfing, trampolining, diving through the week. Gave up as something had to give but got back into it with my son, now daughter seems to have my flexibility and hubbies athletisism - its a heady brew !

not a gymnast they didn't have any where I grew up that I knew of. I did dance instead and it wasn't anything like the "Dance Mom" it was fun instead of crazy LOL

I was a gymnast. I competed Class III which I think is somewhere between a 5 and 6 nowadays. I wasn't very good. My 6 yr old is going to bypass my skill set shortly but her father's side of the family is crazy athletic. He has a distant cousin who was supposed to be on the men's Olympic team (in 1980 when we boycotted the Olympics). There are 3 or 4 of his family members (including my husband and his brother) that went to college on football or basketball scholarships and his niece is a current Level 10 gymnast. I'm guessing this is where she gets her talent :)

My Wife and I were both gymnasts.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back