Parents What Age To Watch Stick It?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

my4buffaloes

Proud Parent
So a few years ago my dd and I went to Camp Woodward and everyone there was talking about the movie Stick It, which was PG13. I told her when she was 13 she could watch it. Well, now she is 13 and brought it up again. Is this an OK movie for a very naive barely 13 year old? it looks like it should be for older teens. What age did your dd watch it and are there any heavy scenes that I should avoid? Thanks!

The language is somewhat questionable and some issues evaluated in the movie are upsetting, but it's way more kid friendly than Make it or Break it! My daughter is 7 and has watched it, but she only cares about the gymnastics parts and pretty much fast forwards through all the other stuff. I am not super strict when it comes to movies or music. More strict on video games.

Mine has watched it from 7 and is word perfect now she is 10 - tbh she doesn't "get" the older stuff, just like I didn't when I watched Greece at 10. She knows there are a couple of words that "we don't use", but then she hears much worse at school.

Its a fab film.

BTW PG over here has no age attached to it - so here its U (universal), PG, 12A (no under 12's without adult) 15 and 18

How about you watch it alne and decide if you are unsure.

Mine both watched it when they were younger than 13.

If you do allow her to watch it, do it with her and talk about the issues she is seeing. At 13 she is getting to the age where kids in high school are going through similar situations.

My dd is almost 7 and watches it all the time. We have it recorded off TV though, so I think any bad language has been removed. There are a few things that may go over her head, but I'm pretty picky about what my kids watch, and I have had no problems with it. She loves the gymnastics part of it.

Mine has watched it from 7 and is word perfect now she is 10 - tbh she doesn't "get" the older stuff, just like I didn't when I watched Greece at 10. She knows there are a couple of words that "we don't use", but then she hears much worse at school.

Its a fab film.

BTW PG over here has no age attached to it - so here its U (universal), PG, 12A (no under 12's without adult) 15 and 18

Just like IWBM says...... I think younger is better because they just don't get the innuendo and misused pronunciations of words who's definitions are misunderstood by one of the characters in the movie.

Its a fab film.

PG films often have guidance attached to the certificate. We only found that out when we sat in the cinema with our 3 year old (the first time we took him) and felt guilty as the PG film recommneded age 4 and over. I just googled the British Board of Film Classification and they say 'A PG film should not disturb a child aged around eight or older. Parents should consider whether the content might upset younger or more sensitive children.' At school when children take DVDs in for Christmas or wet playtime, they are not allowed to show them PGs for that reason.

I still want to watch Stick It. Maybe DD and I should do that over Christmas :)

I would say 7 or 8 is a good age but it does have a little language (not too bad)
My gal watched it when it first came out in 2006 so she was 9

I love the Jo-anne character, I spent ages discussing Malaprop with my smalls. Mostly I had to explain the Americanisms.

Thanks for the feedback! I don't have time to watch it myself. I think we will watch it together next weekend and hopefully it will be ok for her.

Well I've got this for DD for xmas this year (she's 10). Did do a watch through first and decided she should be fine with it.
Definitely far more kid friendly than make it or break it!

I have stick it set aside for dd for Xmas . She's 9 1/2. I'm not concerned about it in the least, she's been watching make it or break it for about a year and loves it. She tends to ignore the parts that might be over her head, or asks about them so I can explain in more appropriate terms.

she doesn't "get" the older stuff, just like I didn't when I watched Greece at 10.

Ha! I know exactly what you mean! I watched Grease again when I was older and was like, "Wait... Rizzo is pregnant? The chicks will WHAT for greased lightning? That stuff wasn't in there back when I was 10!"

DD has been watching Stick-It since she was 7 or 8, but you're right that your 13-year-old will "get" some stuff that goes over the heads of the younger girls. Really, it's pretty tame though. I'd rather DD watch that than any of the crap they show on the Disney channel. At least it's not all about dating and how important it is to have a boyfriend.

My mom was sure I didn't understand most of the MASH reruns that I loved to watch before dinner as a preteen. I still think I got more than she thinks I did. Sorry for the OT.

Here is the review from Common Sense Media:

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/stick-it

I don't always agree with the age recommendations from this site (sometimes they seem too high and sometimes too low), but the "parents need to know" section gives details about all sorts of content that parents might find problematic--and not just language, suggestive material, or violence, either. This allows you to make your own decisions based on your family's unique preferences, values, and needs.

My DD was about 7 when film was released, she saw it right away (it was a team trip to the movies) and has watched it before every meet since, lol.

My little gymmie has watched it since it came out on tv when she was 3. She was so adorable, she would always go put her leotard on (usually backwards) to watch it. The true "stick it" moment was when she was at open gym with her sister's team and she climbed up on the vault table and 'saluted'.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back