MAG What ages/ levels can go to state in your area?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
I doubt it. I really think that is just for FS. But there could be many more changes with everything going on..

Reactions: sce
I doubt it. I really think that is just for FS. But there could be many more changes with everything going on..

Ah, that's too bad. Was hoping there would be changes regarding the age limits in upper JO levels as well. But good point about the possibility of many changes moving forward. So many unknowns right now.

I'd be surprised if any region does not have JD sessions at regionals. As the program grows, in some regions they may eventually need to make it a separate meet, but I'd guess every region this year is just rolling them in with optionals. I don't know how it's going to work, but there will also be a national invitational for JD guys this April.

I just hope that for JO/JE nationals, they do something so that we don't have another year where half the L8 guys make it and a third or fewer of the L10s. If my child were L10, I would be fine with having him compete in a Sunday final session if it meant he had a better shot of making it to nationals. I understand that the main problem is getting all the sessions to work, and it's easier if they have L10 Thurs/Sat (with the 15/16 year olds and the 17-19 year olds) and L8 and L9 Fri/Sun (with a small number of 11 year olds and the larger group of 12 year old L8s and the 13/14 L9s). But why couldn't they, for instance, cut out one of the L8 sessions and sub in the 15 year old 10s? 15/16 are only together for JE, right? (I'm sure there's some obvious reason they can't do this.)

I'm region 5, all kids JO 4-10 and JD/Xcel go to states regardless of division (at least in ohio), there are only age limits on who goes to regionals (which is only level 5 and up), and we have a allotment system, so they only take a certain percentage of gymnasts in the entire region of that level which is further broken down into a certain number of gymnasts per age group and per state. In some ways, I like that the allotment system makes regionals more competitive, but its sucks to break the news to the boys that they will be competing with their teammates for a slot. Where as in the past you needed a certain score, so in a sense you were only competing against yourself.

Reactions: sce
In my "state" (it's half a state though) all levels can go to states. Level 5 and 6 have to get a qualifying score. Though they just lowered the score: div 1 is a 49 and division 2 is a 40, so most will get to go to states. For regionals level 5 and up go, but as I recall, last year only division 1 could go JD was included as well as all age divisions of the levels.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back