What am I looking for? Moving from Australia to Canada (Kitchener Waterloo area)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tdhek

Proud Parent
I'm trying to wrap my head around how the levels here in Australia match up to those in Canada so I can figure out what programs I'm looking for in a gym. I have 2 children that do gym. My son is doing normal level 3 here in Australia. He is 9 and trains 9-12 hours a week. My daughter is 6 and trains in an international development program here for 12 hours a week, pretty much year round. Any thoughts on what is comparable, and if you know the area what gyms will offer that level of training? Thanks in advance. I'm actually originally from Canada, but we have been living in Australia for the last 8 years and there isn't a lot of info regarding the competitive levels on the clubs in the area's websites.

I have a 10 year old son who trains 17 hours per week. Last year he trained 14 hours and was in Elite 3. Depending on your son's abilities, he could be provincial level 1 or 2, or like my son, elite 3. My daughter is 7 and trains 12 hours per week. In BC, most clubs adopted the Junior Olympic program that is from the States. All will be JO by next years 2015-2016 season. My daughter is JO 3, and again, depending on your daughter's abilities she may be JO 1, 2 or 3. If she has her kip, round off backhandspring back tuck, then probably JO 4. Hope that helps!

Www.gymnasticsontario.ca

This site is the provincial sit for Ontario. Under the resources section you can look at the levels and information. There used to be a find a club section but I don't see it now. Maybe because I'm on an iPad.

Revolution and Dynamo are 2 gyms I know in that area.

Thanks, Dynamo and Revolution are the two clubs I have been looking at. I think we will just have to trial both and then decide. Peginer - the skills you mentioned are what the girls in the level ahead of her are just getting under their belt. I would assume she would be more at the level 2 level if that is how they grade them in Ontario. The focus is mainly on strength with the little ones here and then they seem to pick up the skills very quickly when the coaches finally let them give them a go.

@COz I'm in Ontario but that not that part so I'm not familiar with gyms in that area. @tdhek in Ontario, 5-9 year olds are pre-competitive and normally compete in ODP (6 year olds are always ODP), which is basically skill and strength development. They don't compete levels before they are 7 and are not "judged" before they are 9. The gymnastics Ontario site mentioned above is really informative and has a section on ODP and what is expected of a 6 year old.

Reactions: COz
If you are looking for gym for your son and daughter in Ontario i might recommend some for you.:)
My ds us 12 and dd 9 . PM me, will talk

There is also Cambridge kips. And also Guelph Saultos.

Revolution - very good. When she get older and higher levels he does a very small coach to ratio and only takes high level gymnasts in his elite program. I don't believe this club competes provincially. Not sure about his younger kid program. But elites do well. Most of the elites came to him - not home bread.

Dynamo - I heard they have a very large recreation program. We have two friends there and are totally happy. One of the two are doing very well. Canadian gymnast Victoria Moors trains at this gym. She is off right now but her parents are 50% owners. We tried out here but didn't go for a couple of reasons. Too much focus on Victoria trying to get her to the 2016 Olympics and the gym is very small. Th coach is very good. Previous Olympian herself.

Guelph Saltos - another very good gym. Very low gymnast coach ratio. Most of his competitive gymnast are champions. Coming from Kitchener Waterloo the drive wouldn't be bad.

If I had a choice to these gyms I would pick Guelph Saultos.

Thanks kitkat - Saultos does look good and there is the possibility we will settle in Guelph as that is where my sister lives, but alas no boys program. Didn't think it would be so tricky! Saultos does have a development program that looks like it would be similar to the one my daughter is currently in, but I suppose it would depend on if they accept her, oh the joy. I think I will just have to wait and see and probably visit them all once we get there, have her trial and then decide based on who accepts her and who she and I mesh best with.

the club looks good - their website makes me want to rip my eyes out and mute the sound - but once I got past that lol! I will check them out as Milton may be an option. We don't know yet all the details surrounding work - so who knows!

ya, I know they do have a girls program - they just don't seem to advertise it much. Most of their focus really seems to be on the boys program. Time will tell I suppose.

We are at Revolution and really like it. They are in the process of expanding their boys program so it's probably worth trialing the gyms you are considering and ask them about their programs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back