WAG What apparatus most often keeps gymnastics from advancing to the next level?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Bars. (Even Level 1, which isn't rec in some places--it's tough competition--but that straight-leg pullover, and straddle-on dismount can hold them back). But definitely bars.

As an interesting contrast to this question my DD's coach always says that bars are what ususlly determine if a gymnast moves FORWARD rather than being held back. Which sounds the same but isn't . Basically he says that the gymnasts who are strong on bars are the ones who are best equipped to skip forward in levels, followed closely by vault. All other things being equal, her coaches believe that bars

I remember competing against / training with this one girl - bars came so naturally to her. First to get her kip, first for a sole circle, first to up-rise.... and I remember just DESPISING bars. Could never quite get it.
But of all the events - beam definitely was the event to hold me back in the old level 4. Vault and floor were natural to me.

As an interesting contrast to this question my DD's coach always says that bars are what ususlly determine if a gymnast moves FORWARD rather than being held back. Which sounds the same but isn't . Basically he says that the gymnasts who are strong on bars are the ones who are best equipped to skip forward in levels, followed closely by vault. All other things being equal, her coaches believe that bars
Interesting take but I agree. The other events tend to have more flexibility once you get to 8-10 but there is not a lot of flexibility in skills for bars.

For most gymnasts, it’s bars. For the really good bars workers who have great instinctual swing, it’s vault.

In my experience:
5/6->7 Bars (Giants) or Beam (Flight/Series)
7->8 Vault-(Flipping vault for first time)
8->9 Bars (High to low bar change with connection for bonus)
9->10 Bars (Single rail release)
Agree with this and cannot stress enough both the importance and difficulty in the connection aspect. Getting a skill in isolation is only part of the battle. You have to be able to work into and out of it in a way that offers bonus if you want to get a 10.0SV. Not a very easy thing to do and it takes time to get there. Gotta do the numbers.

From what I've seen in my daughter's gym, it is bars that is the gateway for the coach to move up a gymnast and where most struggle. However, for my daughter the struggle, mostly in Level 10, is consistency; not particularly not getting the skill but being able to do it well at the meet. Single bar releases are not required in Level 9 and many Level 10s don't even compete it, at least the first year and some never.

I agree that bars is the tough one for most girls moving up most levels, but I have also seen the transition to 8, 9, and 10 delayed by difficulties with the beam series. Upper level beam is no joke.

It's interesting how different it is on the boys' side -- because it's more age driven, there's not as much of a tendency for one skill or one event to hold them back. Coaches will move guys up even if they have a weak event or two. But even aside from this, it seems like the difficulties are more spread out across events, though most guys do find pommels tough. In terms of covering group and special requirements, from what I've seen, I'd say that the ones most likely to be missing at both L9 and L10 are the rings giant and the release move on high bar. But so many guys are missing these things at L9 that you see kids doing fine without them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back