MAG What are the most important things to develop in new L4 boys?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Nice, I have wanted to do a circle progression guide for 2 years or so but I stalled on it since my friends were going to do one. I was also lacking a camera some of the time or a demonstrator.

I'm doing most of the same by trying to emphasize the counterturn of the hips from the beginning and through the 2nd half of the circle walk ( at a pace of an inch at a time ). They tend to pike their hips a lot though or not keep their shoulder over their hand. As well, with my L5, I'm trying to work on the shoulder lean action to get the extension.

However, maybe it's just me, but I prefer to work the swing of the circle in 1/3rds but drill each position in 1/4ths or 1/8ths ( only with the boys who are older and can understand that concept ). 1/3rds allow me to see if their hips are counter rotated versus straight on.

Using the 1/8th is just right after the initation of the circle where as the 3/8ths would be similar to the 1/3rd position.

Maybe, I'm just OCD though. I introduce basic circle walks and positions using only 4 positions ( keeping it simple ). After they get close to a circle, then I might go over the 8 positions pending on the mental acuity of the gymnast ( so I'm not just speaking over their head ).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back