What are you in gymnastics for?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

i am in gymnastics because every single time i walk into my gym, i feel better. It doesn't matter if i just had a fight with my parents or im mad for some reason, it just makes me feel like none of thats real. All i have is in the gym kind of. Even when im mad at my coaches for not letting me do things, i can't help but smile because i just love it so much. Its unlike anything else in the world.
yeah that was pretty corny but oh well

i am in gymnastics because every single time i walk into my gym, i feel better. It doesn't matter if i just had a fight with my parents or im mad for some reason, it just makes me feel like none of thats real. All i have is in the gym kind of. Even when im mad at my coaches for not letting me do things, i can't help but smile because i just love it so much. Its unlike anything else in the world.

wow that's exactly how I feel!! It's like you go into a world of your own.

I'm in it because I love it! Just for the fun of it. It's just completely enjoyable (well most the time ;))
Nope. Not planning on becoming elite I'm not good enough and I'm a tad to old. Probably not. The college I want to go to doesn't have gymnastics.
Just moved up to level 8 and I'm 15

That's so true!

I love gymnastics more than anything else in the world! I am a level 6 and 8 1/2yrs old. I want too be in the 2016 olympics and than compete for a college.

wow... thats deep man... everytime i walk into the gym i want to shoot myself haha idk why im always in such a BAD MOOD!!!! but slowly after warm up i get into it. and im always super pumped up before gym (during school i think about it non stop) but as soon as i walk into the gym im like ready to cry... maybe its from seeing my coaches face and getting ready for the sweat, tears, and serious pain. but i know i could never live without gymnastics, im completley addicted and i know deep down that i love it.

wow... thats deep man... everytime i walk into the gym i want to shoot myself haha idk why im always in such a BAD MOOD!!!! but slowly after warm up i get into it. and im always super pumped up before gym (during school i think about it non stop) but as soon as i walk into the gym im like ready to cry... maybe its from seeing my coaches face and getting ready for the sweat, tears, and serious pain. but i know i could never live without gymnastics, im completley addicted and i know deep down that i love it.

wow. should ur gym really be like that? serious pain? do you condition that hard or what is it?

we all know though that even the worst practices are better then not doing gym.
hah gymn is like my reason to get out of bed in the morning. like ill be like ew its wendesday no gym no reason to get out of bed. then at school when i do have gymn ill be like yes bars tonight! then all my non- gymnast friends are like I don't care.

hah this is kinda crazy but agreeing with the rest of ya... gym has taught me some great life lessons and now... IM ALIVE! hah jk i would be alive anyways. um i am in gymnastics because i definately love the sport and i am hoping to get a college scholarship... maybe go elite. i am a 13 yr old lvl 9 so maybe i will do elite after lvl 10 but maybe i will just stay a lvl 10. I <3 GYM!!!

wow. should ur gym really be like that? serious pain? do you condition that hard or what is it?

we all know though that even the worst practices are better then not doing gym.
hah gymn is like my reason to get out of bed in the morning. like ill be like ew its wendesday no gym no reason to get out of bed. then at school when i do have gymn ill be like yes bars tonight! then all my non- gymnast friends are like I don't care.
hah thats funny. when i talk about gym to my friends at school they dont care either! which i dont care if they dont care except when i had a hard practice and want 2 talk to a school friend about it. they just dont understand and i dont get the friendliness i was looking for after a hard practice. frustrating. agh. lol.

I have been in gymnastics for two years now. I started because it was fun to flip around, and I'm still in it now. I'm a Provincial 2 with many Provincial 3 skills (so a bit like Levels 5/6 & 7) and I really hope to make Provincial 4 or 5 in a few years.

Like you guys said, all the stress just kinda floats away while I'm in the gym. I NEVER miss practice for ANYTHING because missing practice is my biggest pet peeve of all- I'm happy 99% of the time, but if I have to miss prackie I'm like a mountain lion. Back away slowly & keep your arms and legs in the vehicle at all times! Direct quote from my obviously very honest dad.

I just love gymnastics so much. I was asked by my teachers to stop writing about gymnastics because every single assignment was about gymnastics. When my mom told me it was time for back to school clothes shopping, I immediately whipped out my list of leos to buy! My locker is FULL of gymnastics stuff. There is a block of chalk in my bedroom. I'm emotionally attached to my grips and leos, no way is my mom going to sell those! I could go on and on!

I have a one-track mind, and it's on gymnastics! Sorry for the long post but I am addicted to gymnastics!

I when I started gymnastics at the ripe old age of 10, I wanted to be the next Carly Patterson.
After I realized that wasn't going to happen, I wanted to get a college scholarship. I might have had a shot if I had been able to skip level 6 as I was planning and keep progressing as I was, but injuries got in the way and they've been hampering me ever since.
Now I've given up on both those dreams and I'm just trying to stay healthy and have fun. Although gym has always been fun, now it's the #1 reason I'm in the sport - that and I love my gym friends and coaches and can't imagine life without them!

I started when I was 10, at level 1 and after 9 months I made it on the L4 team, I won the UT state meet.. I then competed L5, and won 6/8 meets (the other 2 where 2nd place) I also won the UT state meet, and now I am training level 6, getting ready to compete this Saturday.
Honestly, I am in it to win it..... Why wouldn't you want to win if you worked as hard, and as long as we do?!
I go into the gym each and every day ready to work hard, and I go into competitions EXCEPTING myself to win.... And I do, because I believe so hard in me.

Gymnastics is crazy, and Its always pushing me! Pushing me to get good grades, to make the right choices, keeping me out of trouble.. and not to mention keeping me HAPPY! I love the sport with all my heart, and it guides me everywhere, its my life// <3

I'm doing gymnastics because I love it. I'm a level 7 this year. Honestly, it saddens me so much that I'll never learn a tsuk or a straddle back because I graduate in two school years. Those things look fun!

I started gym when I was 13 years old. I'm 16 now. I was so not confident all throughout my compulsory years, but now I've accepted that I'll never get to a super high level, and that I'm doing gym because I love it, not because I'm the best. I've learned to set personal goals instead of judging myself against little kids who have many advantages over me, and I love that I don't have any sort of pressure to get to a certain level or get a college scholarship.

I hope to be able to do club gymnastics through a college, or maybe train at a club nearby. However, I'll miss my gym which is like a second home to me. My coach is like a mother and my teammates are like sisters. :(

I'm training for level 9 this year and I'm a sophomore in high school. I started gymnastics when I was 7 and a half, and I used to want to be an elite and compete in the Olympics, but I shortly abandoned that dream after realizing that it's impossible. I'm hoping to get a college scholarship, or at least get to do gymnastics in college, but the real reason I do gymnastics is because I love it. All of my best friends are at gymnastics (I don't really have any at school...) and no matter what's going on at home or at school, I walk into the gym and it all disappears; lots of the time I would rather be there than at home because I know that when I go home I have homework waiting for me. I also love the feeling of flying through the air, its so wonderful; it makes me feel special and totally amazing. :)

at least for me, the main reason that i do gymnastics is because i love it and it is a great stress reliever and an awesome way for me to relax. i will never be good enough for a college scholarship and i compete but i don't really want to get to the point where it's the only thing i think about so i just do it for fun!!!!!!

I'm 12 and I just do it for the fun of it :) I'm level 6 rec and I was asked to do competitive but turned it down cause I just want to do gym for the fun not for the glory of winning.

Im a second year level 8. I started level 4 when I was 7 and have just started my 10th season. I do gymnastics cause I love the sport, not to go elite or even to go to college for gymnastics. Even though it has been really hard some times (i am a very mental kid) i stuck with it cause i loved it. It's a great way to relieve stress and hang with friends too. I love learning new skills and being able to tell my people "yeah I can do all that flippy stuff" lol

I'm an adult gymnast (though I just turned 23 and am a college student and feel more like a teenager :) ) My whole life I wanted to be a gymnast, but I'm very very tall and very very lanky. As a kid my mom enrolled my brother and I in rec classes and the coach told her, when I was 5, my body type wasn't suitable. My brother, who's now a 6' 4" 200 lbs. ice hockey player, didn't grow until high school and was amazing at gym until he quit after a couple years of competitive. My cousin was a competitive gymnast and a year older than me, by middle school she was L 10 and I was really envious.

Instead I started basic rec classes because I've wanted to be a gymnast my whole life. I played every sport imaginable as a kid, swimming, basketball, soccer, t-ball, field hockey, volleyball... but I really focused on ice hockey (guys full contact) and track and field. I went out for track in middle school and ended up getting the school record the first meet and signed up for a club team. I ended up running at the national level in middle school through college. In high school I made the junior national team and then I went onto college to compete DI on scholarship. I wound up hurt, I ran on stress fractures for 4 years and had other major injuries which led to me having metal rods inserted into my foot after my freshman year of college. I did PT all season with no luck and the summer after sophomore year I had the rods taken out. They did nerve damage including a sliced nerve we didn't know about until 6 months later. That whole time I couldn't walk/used crutches and was in agonising pain to the point of me getting sick. My mom moved me home and I quit track. After I took sometime off I transferred to my state's major school and ended up walking onto the track team. I ran a season, finally competing NCAA, even though I didn't do well for lots of reasons. I tried to go back to my junior national club coach later but stopped when I moved to Australia with my fiance.

After all those sports I started adult gym classes to get the flexibility and strength and of course for fun! (I still can't do a cartwheel). I lived next to one of the US Olympic girls in college and we became good friends and I started really following high level elite gymnastics. Right now I'm not that involved in gym unfortunately. I got sick in Perth and was hospitalised for ages then med-evaced back to the US because of my insurance and for rehab. It involved major blood clots all over both legs, a bacterial infection where both legs swelled up so bad you couldn't see any bones and a virus in my nerves and spinal cord. I'm currently paralysed from the hips down with some motion in my left leg, enough to use crutches for 10 ft at a time. I was hoping to really get involved in some adult gym classes but instead have just started sled hockey, which is great, and monoskiing, which I've done because I'm a kid's ski instructor and do mostly adaptive lessons. It's fun but I still wish I could do gym classes. I try to do a lot of core strength and other strecthing drills, so it's kind of like gym!! I'm still also a HUGE fan of everyone from my friends and relatives to the elites and other country's teams.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back