WAG What are you thankful for?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AliyaFan76

Gymnast
I know thanksgiving already passed, but what are you thankful for going into 2020? (gym or non gym related)
I'm thankful to live close to my gym, and to have supportive parents who have driven me basically every destination known to man along, and always attended meets with a video recorder/iphone in hand!
What about you?

I am so thankful for a million things, but the first thing that jumped into my mind gym-wise, was that we are on great terms with both of our former gyms. Puma Jr’s gym is absolutely the right fit for her and where we should be, but we had two gym moves for different reasons, and the owners/coaches/parents/kids of both have been very supportive and there is no bad blood. I know this is not the case for many, so I feel incredibly fortunate. Great idea for a thread!

I am thankful my DD gym went from JO only to xcel only 4 years ago. Where we live there are no other gym options. Xcel has allowed her to be in competitive robotics, school track and field and go to state fair in 4H.
She is 13, in 8th grade, and this will be her 6th year competing gymnastics. She still loves gym, and gets to participate in other activities. She would have never chosen xcel over JO. So I'm thankful that decision was made for her.
I'm thankful there are lots of options for all gymnasts to enjoy and be successful in different paths with different gyms and programs.

There is so much to be thankful for. One thing that I'm thankful for are my daughter's teammates' parents. They are all so wonderful and supportive of each and every one of the girls. Most of our girls are long-time teammates but there are a few newer as well. All are treated the same love and support.

There is so much to be thankful for. One thing that I'm thankful for are my daughter's teammates' parents. They are all so wonderful and supportive of each and every one of the girls. Most of our girls are long-time teammates but there are a few newer as well. All are treated the same love and support.

Ditto to this. This is what I am thankful for.

Acro. The way this aspect of the sport requires the kids to learn to work independently with kids that are different than they are, to develop leadership skills. Watching my daughter as a base this year with a 10 year old top (DD is almost 14) has shown me how mature she can be. Because the coaches have to divide their time among all the groups, each group must have a spark plug to keep them working even when the coach isn't working with them directly. Their presence/absence/participation level affects more than just themselves, and I feel like DD's participation in Acro has really grown who she is as a human being and not just as an athlete.

I am thankful for a lot this year:
1. I am thankful to be alive. I could have died on December 25-26, 2018, but I stood my ground and got transferred to a different hospital where they made an ACCURATE diagnosis and surgical decisions ... including a change of plans mid-surgery so that I wouldn't die.
2. I am thankful that I have lost 93.2 lbs in 49 weeks.
3. I am thankful that I only have to lose another 77.4 lbs before they can go back in and do what they opted not to do in the first surgery.
4. I am thankful for benadryl. I have to take it every 4 hours around the clock because I am allergic to adhesives and I have to have adhesives on my body almost constantly.
5. I am thankful for gymnastics and our gym. One way I have lost the weight is be getting my steps during practices and meets.
6. I am thankful for my FitBit and the friend that gave it to me. I record EVERYTHING that goes in my mouth. I can track my calorie burn and make sure I "earn" all the calories I eat / drink.
7. I am thankful for OG and YG and my brother and sister. Without these 4 people, I wouldn't be here. They are my life!
8. I am thankful for the team girls. They have been soooooo supportive on my journey. Every so often, one will come up to me and tell me how good I am doing. One little girl, just this past week, came over to tell me that I am getting so "skinny" and she is very proud of me! - WOW!!! No words other than thank you and a big hug.
9. I am thankful for our coaches. Every single one of them has given me support along the way, especially the head coach. She has been super encouraging. She lets me keep a case of water in the refrigerator in the back so I can stay hydrated. She lets me walk around the gym, circling equipment and mats when they aren't being used. She lets me keep my stuff in her office so I don't have to worry about it getting lost.
10. I am grateful for the coaches of the other teams in our district. They have all allowed me to take my king size camp chair to meets and put it wherever I want. It has a mini-cooler so I can bring my own food and water for meets. I am allowed to put it in the front row or beside bleachers or wherever I need to be so I get a good view. They have also been supportive of my journey. At our home meet, one of the other team's had their head coach retiring. After the meet, I thanked her for all she has done for us over the years and she hugged me and told me how great I am doing and to keep it up.
11. I am thankful that YG was brave enough to put her acro on beam at the home meet, even if she did fall 2x and it cost her in the All Around.
12. I am thankful that Meijer makes a nonfat vanilla greek yogurt that tastes just as good as Oikos (even if it is 10 calories more, lol).
13. I am thankful that I can find good sales to get clothes that fit as I lose the weight (from a 5X/6X to a 1X/2X/3X in less than a year).
14. I am thankful for Chalkbucket and my friends that I have made from here.

Well, there is so much more, but this is long enough already ;)

There is much to be thankful for. My family is healthy and doing well.

Regarding gymnastics,

Thankful some toxic families have moved on. Thankful my daughter is healthy and not booted/casted. Coming out of puberty and injury getting her skills back and improving every week. And rocking school and high school courses too. And while her team is smaller they are truly a great bunch of girls, supportive friends, they are quite a tribe.

These things are priceless

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back