What are your child's goals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

olympics

My DD wants to go to the olympics and "plays" olympics everyday. Of course, being an olympic year, she is responding to all the hype and it may not be real.

I would like to see her reach level 10 and have a college opportunity if she sticks with it over the years.

my dd has no desire to be an elite gymnast (she did when she was younger and didn't understand what it really meant and required). Now she really wants to make it to level 10 by the time she is in high school and would love to be able to do gymnastics in college.

My DD wants to go to the olympics and "plays" olympics everyday. Of course, being an olympic year, she is responding to all the hype and it may not be real.

I would like to see her reach level 10 and have a college opportunity if she sticks with it over the years.

LOL, that is the same things my DD's do. They want to go to the olympics, get perfect 10s on every event and win gold.:p They also play olympics with their gymnast friends and take turns being different gymnasts, such as Shawn Johnson, Nastia Liukin, etc. But in reality wise, I would like to see them as level 10 and maybe continue the sport through college.

When ever dd and I have talked about what she wants to be when she grows up she always gives me the same answer.....she wants to coach, wants to own her gym and coach too! She says she is going to be the best coach like coach Maria (her HC)! Everyone is going to want to come to my gym, mama.

I have tried explaining the olympics to her but I don't think she quite gets it! We were watching gymnastics on tv recently and she asked me "when is Reema's (one of our L10's) turn on bars?" I explained to her that gymnastics is bigger than her gym and that theses girls are one of the best gymnasts in the "World." (not just in miami or FL) To that she responded "I want to be one of the best gymnasts in the world"

She plays coach with her lil sister. And Julia actually listens to her. I am usually the judge and my only job is to raise one arm(not two arms or I am doing it wrong!) in solute. Olivia has been helping her learn a cartwheel. It is so funny because she tells her to be tight, point you toes, keep you arm straight etc.. I actually thinks it reinforces what she is learning herself.

I would love for her to continue in the sport and ideally do it through college. But if she would want to go elite or even strive for the olympics I'd support her 100% and tell her things like: "I believe you can do it"

Last edited by a moderator:
When ever dd and I have talked about what she wants to be when she grows up she always gives me the same answer.....she wants to coach, wants to own her gym and coach too! She says she is going to be the best coach like coach Maria (her HC)! Everyone is going to want to come to my gym, mama.

I have tried explaining the olympics to her but I don't think she quite gets it! We were watching gymnastics on tv recently and she asked me "when is Reema's (one of our L10's) turn on bars?" I explained to her that gymnastics is bigger than her gym and that theses girls are one of the best gymnasts in the "World." (not just in miami or FL) To that she responded "I want to be one of the best gymnasts in the world"

She plays coach with her lil sister. And Julia actually listens to her. I am usually the judge and my only job is to raise one arm(not two arms or I am doing it wrong!) in solute. Olivia has been helping her learn a cartwheel. It is so funny because she tells her to be tight, point you toes, keep you arm straight etc.. I actually thinks it reinforces what she is learning herself.

I would love for her to continue in the sport and ideally do it through college. But if she would want to go elite or even strive for the olympics I'd support her 100% and tell her things like: "I believe you can do it"

That is super cute! We live next to a 4 year old little girl who will be starting rec classes this fall. I told DDs that and they love to teach her cartwheels, roundoffs, handstands, etc. Looks like you've got a mini coach handy;)

Oh yeah - and my gymmie plans on being a coach someday as well. She is really close to one of her coaches and when that coach heard my dd say she wanted to coach someday she told her they could open their own gym together. That totally made my dd's day.

My DD doesn't really understand elite gymnastics or the difference between the Olympics and the Gym Dogs. She kept asking when the Gym Dogs would be on when we were watching the Olympic trials. As for herself, she doesn't know. Sometimes she wants to be a Gym Dog and sometimes she wants to go to the Olympics (but she does NOT want to be on a Coke box like Shawn Johnson is!) More immediately, she wants to get her kip. And then she wants to get to L7 so she can make up her own routines. Baby steps.

Part of the reason I asked is because I'm always hearing about elite gymnast saying that they have wanted to go to the Olympics since they were like 6 years old. I tend to disbelieve that they really have any understanding at that age what the Olympics even are. It also seems like that is a pretty universal goal amongst young gymnasts.

Funny about the things these little girls say.

I don't think my DD has any long term gymnastics goals. She wants to compete, that is her goal right now.

Her only comments about the Olympic Trials were how good they were and that she never wanted to do anything aerial on beam. :D So I am guessing being an elite or going to the Olympics is out of the question.

Currently, she says she is going to be a gymnastics coach when she grows up. She is very specific that she will be a "nice coach" and let her girls jump in the pit everyday after class. LOL. She is having some issues with a coach that is very strict and expects a lot of them and so she says she won't ever be like that. She "coaches" her 2 yo sister as well and even wants me to learn the L4 floor routine. Silly girl.

I have no goals for her except that I want her to have fun doing what she loves to do, whatever that may be, for now it is gymnastics. Next year, who knows??

I am not sure that DD has long term specific gymnastic goals beyond " I want to do gymnastics until I am 90, but not 100 because then I will be too old" :eek::D

Other than that she wants to be a "Dolphin Worker" @ SeaWorld, A Zoo Keeper and a Horse Racer.

IOther than that she wants to be a "Dolphin Worker" @ SeaWorld

This was MY dream when I was younger LOL! :D How funny...

My dd is 6, soon to turn 7 & she just recently seems to sort of understand what the Olympics are, but has not expressed a desire to be an "Olympic gymnast". I doubt she even understands the difference in an Olympic gymnast or really anything about that. She does understand the USAG JO gymnastic levels and is obsessed with them - something I don't like - & claims she would like to be an elite gymnast, but again I doubt she really understands what that means at this stage of life :). I think it is only because she has seen 2 elite gymnasts while attending camp with them & thinks the L10 (who talks about beinig an elite gymnast) in her gym & those 2 elites are the best gymnasts in the world and says she wants to be just like them.

A reasonable goal that she completely understands right now is just to "compete"... she watched the rest of her team last season and can't wait for her turn. She talks about being a doctor or a princess someday, but says she really just wants to be little forever! ;)

Last edited:
You know, it's funny. We talk about how our young ones can't really understand what they want to do in life. Yet, my younger brother knew what he wanted to do when he was five years old and he has never wavered and is doing it to this day (he's 34). I think some kids just have the gift of "knowing" exactly what they want in life. I've always envied this as I'm still trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up. :D

So cute! Such supportive parents!

I would have been maybe 9 or 10 or so when I first took rec classes and it may have been before I even got in the door that my mom was saying "Remember that you'll never, ever, get anywhere with this. Only people that start at 2 or 3 have a hope of ever competing." "So why didn't you let me start sooner?" (I had a friend that did - it's not like she didn't know the gym existed) "It's not good for your body to do it that young." "But then how...?"

Argh. I still sense waves of disapproval emanating from her every time I get home from the gym. And not just because what I'm paying them is not going to her as rent.

My goals are to *have* kids, and if they like gymnastics, let them do it, but I don't want to push them just because I didn't get to do it. I hope I won't turn into some sort of overscheduling monster mom!

My dd would like to go to U of Florida on a gymnastics scholarship.

Big dreams, little girl.....

As she is getting older, she still wishes for U of Florida, but is also starting to ask what other schools are out there. She does want to go to a good gym school.

She will be (12) this Sept, in 7th grade and will complete level 8 this yr.

She just proclaimed to me last night that she doesn't know what she wants to be when she grows up, like this is some big disaster. I told her that it is okay, she has time to make up her mind.

My dd would like to go to U of Florida on a gymnastics scholarship.

Big dreams, little girl.....

As she is getting older, she still wishes for U of Florida, but is also starting to ask what other schools are out there. She does want to go to a good gym school.

That's so funny that you mention that. My 6-year-old can't decide between being a Gator or being a GymDog. She's 6!!! I keep telling her she doesn't have to decide quite yet. :D

That's so funny that you mention that. My 6-year-old can't decide between being a Gator or being a GymDog. She's 6!!! I keep telling her she doesn't have to decide quite yet. :D

Dd just wants the Gator chomp in her floor routine - all the reason to go with Florida in my book! :p Gotta love her.... she cracks me up!

Dd just wants the Gator chomp in her floor routine - all the reason to go with Florida in my book! :p Gotta love her.... she cracks me up!

LOL..... my DD loves to watch Florida's floor routines just so she can pick out the chomp. It's about the only time she has the patience to just sit and watch gymnastics (she'd much rather be doing than watching- we very rarely can watch gymnastics on tv without her saying "oh! I can do that! I want to try that! Come on!" and heading off to her basement gym).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back